Can't access my own documents?

Ryan H

Can't access my own documents?
I'm an administrator on my PC, using Windows Vista Home Basic. When I try to
access my Pictures, Documents, etc, it says that access is denied. What
gives?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't access my own documents?
Ryan

Which folders are you trying to access? If you have Hidden Files and Folders
turned off, you may see folders named My Documents, My Pictures, My Music,
etc that have a shortcut arrow on the folders. These are not actual folders
and do not contain any useful data. They are called Junctions and are only
there for older program installations that are not aware of the new names
for these folders in Vista. They are used to redirect these older programs
to the new folders in Vista.

The "My" designation for user folders has been retired. All of the user
folders in Vista are now called Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.

There is a good description of this subject on the following website.

Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Ryan H" <Ryan H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm an administrator on my PC, using Windows Vista Home Basic. When I try
> access my Pictures, Documents, etc, it says that access is denied. What
> gives?

Ryan H

Re: Can't access my own documents?
You hit the bullseye. Thank you, sir!

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ryan
>
> Which folders are you trying to access? If you have Hidden Files and Folders
> turned off, you may see folders named My Documents, My Pictures, My Music,
> etc that have a shortcut arrow on the folders. These are not actual folders
> and do not contain any useful data. They are called Junctions and are only
> there for older program installations that are not aware of the new names
> for these folders in Vista. They are used to redirect these older programs
> to the new folders in Vista.
>
> The "My" designation for user folders has been retired. All of the user
> folders in Vista are now called Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.
>
> There is a good description of this subject on the following website.
>
> Windows Vista Junction Points:
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Ryan H" <Ryan H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm an administrator on my PC, using Windows Vista Home Basic. When I try
> > access my Pictures, Documents, etc, it says that access is denied. What
> > gives?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't access my own documents?
Ryan

Your very welcome, glad this helped.

Let us know if you need anything else.

--

> You hit the bullseye. Thank you, sir!
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ryan
>>
>> Which folders are you trying to access? If you have Hidden Files and
>> Folders
>> turned off, you may see folders named My Documents, My Pictures, My
>> Music,
>> etc that have a shortcut arrow on the folders. These are not actual
>> folders
>> and do not contain any useful data. They are called Junctions and are
>> only
>> there for older program installations that are not aware of the new names
>> for these folders in Vista. They are used to redirect these older
>> programs
>> to the new folders in Vista.
>>
>> The "My" designation for user folders has been retired. All of the user
>> folders in Vista are now called Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.
>>
>> There is a good description of this subject on the following website.
>>
>> Windows Vista Junction Points:
>> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Ryan H" <Ryan H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm an administrator on my PC, using Windows Vista Home Basic. When I
>> > try
>> > access my Pictures, Documents, etc, it says that access is denied.
>> > What
>> > gives?

Janie

Re: Can't access my own documents?
I'm sorry for tagging onto this message but even though I have the pop-up
blocker turned off, it still says pop-up is blocked when I trust to post a
new question.

I have Windows Home Basic. I have set up 3 users (all me). All of my
documents, pictures, etc. are stored under User A. When I logon as User B or
User C, I have to access documents that are stored under User A, and I cannot
do that.

I have set User A, B & C as administrator - but how can I access my files
when logged on as other than User A?

Please help. Thanks very much.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ryan
>
> Your very welcome, glad this helped.
>
> Let us know if you need anything else.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Ryan H" <RyanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You hit the bullseye. Thank you, sir!
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Ryan
> >>
> >> Which folders are you trying to access? If you have Hidden Files and
> >> Folders
> >> turned off, you may see folders named My Documents, My Pictures, My
> >> Music,
> >> etc that have a shortcut arrow on the folders. These are not actual
> >> folders
> >> and do not contain any useful data. They are called Junctions and are
> >> only
> >> there for older program installations that are not aware of the new names
> >> for these folders in Vista. They are used to redirect these older
> >> programs
> >> to the new folders in Vista.
> >>
> >> The "My" designation for user folders has been retired. All of the user
> >> folders in Vista are now called Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.
> >>
> >> There is a good description of this subject on the following website.
> >>
> >> Windows Vista Junction Points:
> >> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't access my own documents?
Janie

What you are seeing is by design. If you could access another users
documents, this would make the whole concept of separate user accounts
useless.

If you have documents that you want any user to be able to access, you need
to store those documents in the C:\Users\Public folder section.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry for tagging onto this message but even though I have the pop-up
> blocker turned off, it still says pop-up is blocked when I trust to post a
> new question.
>
> I have Windows Home Basic. I have set up 3 users (all me). All of my
> documents, pictures, etc. are stored under User A. When I logon as User B
> or
> User C, I have to access documents that are stored under User A, and I
> cannot
> do that.
>
> I have set User A, B & C as administrator - but how can I access my files
> when logged on as other than User A?
>
> Please help. Thanks very much.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ryan
>>
>> Your very welcome, glad this helped.
>>
>> Let us know if you need anything else.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Ryan H" <RyanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > You hit the bullseye. Thank you, sir!

Janie

Re: Can't access my own documents?
Thanks very much, Ronnie.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Janie
>
> What you are seeing is by design. If you could access another users
> documents, this would make the whole concept of separate user accounts
> useless.
>
> If you have documents that you want any user to be able to access, you need
> to store those documents in the C:\Users\Public folder section.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sorry for tagging onto this message but even though I have the pop-up
> > blocker turned off, it still says pop-up is blocked when I trust to post a
> > new question.
> >
> > I have Windows Home Basic. I have set up 3 users (all me). All of my
> > documents, pictures, etc. are stored under User A. When I logon as User B
> > or
> > User C, I have to access documents that are stored under User A, and I
> > cannot
> > do that.
> >
> > I have set User A, B & C as administrator - but how can I access my files
> > when logged on as other than User A?
> >
> > Please help. Thanks very much.
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Ryan