standard user loging problems

jamie tijerina

standard user loging problems
I had a problem with windows vista and used the resore to fix it. But now
anyone that is a standard user cannot log in. I get a window that says
"windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service".
Only those with admin rights can log in. Im not on a network, my computer is
a stand alone. But I dont want the kids to have admin rights. Help.
--
jamie
Troels Kolding

RE: standard user loging problems
Hi,

Thanks for this mail! You, I and hundreds of other users share the same
problem. To ensure security of Vista, it is important that this error is
solved. Please Microsoft, let us know a solution!

Some one claims it has to do with Defender and some have found that "Update
905866" is causing all the trouble?? Did anyone found a suitable solution for
those of us where "just reboot the PC" is not a satisfactory help?

Thanks
Troels

"jamie tijerina" wrote:

> I had a problem with windows vista and used the resore to fix it. But now
> anyone that is a standard user cannot log in. I get a window that says
> "windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service".
> Only those with admin rights can log in. Im not on a network, my computer is
> a stand alone. But I dont want the kids to have admin rights. Help.
> --
> jamie

brink

jamie tijerina;426202 Wrote:
> I had a problem with windows vista and used the resore to fix it. But
> now
> anyone that is a standard user cannot log in. I get a window that says
> "windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service
> service".
> Only those with admin rights can log in. Im not on a network, my
> computer is
> a stand alone. But I dont want the kids to have admin rights. Help.
> --
> jamie

Hi Jamie,

I saw this recently on my computer. I ran a "sfc /scannow" from a
elevated command prompt in the Administrator account.

See: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...tem-files.html

When it was done, I restarted the computer from the Administrator
account and it had some "Configuring Updates" during the process. When
done, I had no more problems.

Hopefully it will work for you as well,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Troels Kolding

Re: standard user loging problems
Hi,

Thanks for help. I ran the check and there were are few issues it could not
repair (Settings.ini and tcpmon.ini). I guess that is ok and non-related to
the issue at hand? Do you know what to look for as a "fix" in the huge log
file?

Nevertheless, I am now able to switch user (although rebooting also have
temporarily fixed the issue). Will report back if the problem shows up again.

best
Troels

"brink" wrote:

> jamie tijerina;426202 Wrote:
> > I had a problem with windows vista and used the resore to fix it. But
> > now
> > anyone that is a standard user cannot log in. I get a window that says
> > "windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service
> > service".
> > Only those with admin rights can log in. Im not on a network, my
> > computer is
> > a stand alone. But I dont want the kids to have admin rights. Help.
> > --
> > jamie

> Hi Jamie,
>
> I saw this recently on my computer. I ran a "sfc /scannow" from a
> elevated command prompt in the Administrator account.
>
> See: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...tem-files.html
>
> When it was done, I restarted the computer from the Administrator
> account and it had some "Configuring Updates" during the process. When
> done, I had no more problems.
>
> Hopefully it will work for you as well,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

brink

Troels Kolding;454419 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for help. I ran the check and there were are few issues it could
> not
> repair (Settings.ini and tcpmon.ini). I guess that is ok and
> non-related to
> the issue at hand? Do you know what to look for as a "fix" in the huge
> log
> file?
>
> Nevertheless, I am now able to switch user (although rebooting also
> have
> temporarily fixed the issue). Will report back if the problem shows up
> again.
>
> best
> Troels

Troels,

You can run a non-indexed search for "Search.ini" and "tcpmon.ini" and
get a good copy, the ones listed from within the "C:\Windows\winsxs"
location (Wow, x86, or AMD folders), and copy it to the location listed
in the log file. You may need to take ownership of the one you are
replacing before it will allow you to. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

If you are not having any problems from it, I would not worry about it
if you are not comfortable doing this.

Shawn