Administrator rights - probably beating a dead horse

Julian

Administrator rights - probably beating a dead horse
To all you Vista oracles:
I too am the sole user of my laptop and the sole administrator.
I have a Cruzer U3 thumb drive that actually advised me via prompt that a
Vista compatibility upgrade is available. When I clicked on the install link,
right away I got the download screen with the message that i do not appear to
be an administrator and thus would not be allowed to download the upgrade.
I also went to add a network printer and when I clicked on the add printer
icon, I got a similar message and could not set up the network printer.
HELP !!!
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Administrator rights - probably beating a dead horse
Hello,

the update application has to be started by right-clicking it and choosing
"Run as administrator" to give administrative privileges to it. It should
work then.

Hope this helps you.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> To all you Vista oracles:
> I too am the sole user of my laptop and the sole administrator.
> I have a Cruzer U3 thumb drive that actually advised me via prompt that a
> Vista compatibility upgrade is available. When I clicked on the install
> link,
> right away I got the download screen with the message that i do not appear
> be an administrator and thus would not be allowed to download the upgrade.
> I also went to add a network printer and when I clicked on the add printer
> icon, I got a similar message and could not set up the network printer.
> HELP !!!

Julian

Re: Administrator rights - probably beating a dead horse
This apparently only works after software has been installed. I cannot even
download to install.

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the update application has to be started by right-clicking it and choosing
> "Run as administrator" to give administrative privileges to it. It should
> work then.
>
> Hope this helps you.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > To all you Vista oracles:
> > I too am the sole user of my laptop and the sole administrator.
> > I have a Cruzer U3 thumb drive that actually advised me via prompt that a
> > Vista compatibility upgrade is available. When I clicked on the install
> > link,
> > right away I got the download screen with the message that i do not appear
> > be an administrator and thus would not be allowed to download the upgrade.
> > I also went to add a network printer and when I clicked on the add printer
> > icon, I got a similar message and could not set up the network printer.
> > HELP !!!

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Administrator rights - probably beating a dead horse
Hello,

sorry if I couldn't be helpful. Have you, by any chance, got the possibility
to download the installation file and then start it manually?
For the printing issue, in Control Panel ( -> Hardware and Sound -> )
Printers, right-click on an empty space in the window and go to Run as
administrator -> Add Printer...
I hope this helps.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo