Transfer User Accounts to New Computer

Julie

Transfer User Accounts to New Computer
I used the easy tranfer cable to transfer folders, files, and user accounts
from my old computer running xp to my new one running vista. On my old
computer, I just booted up, clicked on my name, and windows started. Don't
remember setting up a password for it, though I've had the computer six
years, and I don't remember ever being required to enter one.

Now, on my new computer, it is asking for a password for my account. I've
tried to think of anything I may have used, but it says they're all wrong.
Any ideas on how to figure out if my old computer has user accounts set up
(but not required upon signing in), or any way to fix this on my new computer?

Thanks,
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Transfer User Accounts to New Computer
Julie

This sounds like during that 6 years you used the old PC that, at some
point, you used the advanced user settings (netplwiz or Control
Userpasswords2) to configure windows to not require a password when
starting. During this procedure, you enter the current password for your
account to set this option. The result is that you can login by simply
clicking your user account, the password is read in the background, with no
user input.

I don't know of any way to fix this situation except to use password
recovery software to reset that password.

Windows Password Recovery Software. Reset Administrator Password.
XP VISTA 2003 2000 NT:
http://www.password-changer.com/

This program is very easy to use. After you install, one of the menu options
you will see is
to Create a DOS Bootable CD. Place a blank disk in the CD burner drive and
click
this option. Creating the CD is a one button procedure. After you create the
CD, leave it in the drive and reboot the computer. The program will
automatically start a wizard which will step you through the procedure to
remove
the password from the accounts that you choose.

Download the User Manual to see all of the screen shots for the program.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP