Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin

Tor-Tor

Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and then I
click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to run
it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin on the
computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that I can
use my program?

Thanks

Angie
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Tor

When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
administrator credentials if it needs them to run.

If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.

To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and right
click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
> then I
> click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
> run
> it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin on
> the
> computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that I
> can
> use my program?
>
> Thanks
>
> Angie

Ken G.

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
My friend has Vista and has this problem with Nortons update, I'm not sure
of the version of Nortons but it came pre-installed when she bought the
computer.

It downloads the update but then says she doesn't have the correct privilege
to install it but she is the administrator.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tor
>
> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
>
> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
>
> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and right
> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
> > then I
> > click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
> > run
> > it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin on
> > the
> > computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that I
> > can
> > use my program?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Angie

Tor-Tor

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Thanks so much, that fixed everything right up! I appreciate it a lot

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tor
>
> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
>
> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
>
> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and right
> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
> > then I
> > click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
> > run
> > it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin on
> > the
> > computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that I
> > can
> > use my program?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Angie

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

> Thanks so much, that fixed everything right up! I appreciate it a lot
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Tor
>>
>> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
>> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
>> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
>>
>> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
>>
>> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
>> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and
>> right
>> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
>> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
>> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
>> > then I
>> > click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
>> > run
>> > it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin
>> > on
>> > the
>> > computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that
>> > can
>> > use my program?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Angie

Michael

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
I have the same problem. Clicking on run as admin does not work, it still
wants the administrator to login before it will let me upgrade the bios on my
computer. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! I don't want to click on a run as, I want
to log on as the administrator for MY computer. When I activate the Admin
logon and try again, get the same message. What is up with Microsoft
creating an ID I can't use but must use to complete certain things? This is
MY computer and I should have that login ability!
I've spent way too much time on this already. What do I have to do to
activate the hidden administrator login using a password that I generate?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tor
>
> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
>
> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
>
> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and right
> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
> > then I
> > click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
> > run
> > it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin on
> > the
> > computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that I
> > can
> > use my program?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Angie

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Michael

You can unhide the Built-in Administrator account by doing this.

Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the results, right click CMD.EXE and
select the Run As Administrator option.
In the command window, type the following.

net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter.

Open Control Panel and double click User Accounts. Click Manage another
account. You should see the Administrator account there. Click Create
Password and assign it a strong password.

You can hide the administrator account by following the same steps and
substituting no for the yes in the command.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem. Clicking on run as admin does not work, it still
> wants the administrator to login before it will let me upgrade the bios on
> my
> computer. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! I don't want to click on a run as, I
> want
> to log on as the administrator for MY computer. When I activate the Admin
> logon and try again, get the same message. What is up with Microsoft
> creating an ID I can't use but must use to complete certain things? This
> is
> MY computer and I should have that login ability!
> I've spent way too much time on this already. What do I have to do to
> activate the hidden administrator login using a password that I generate?
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Tor
>>
>> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
>> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
>> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
>>
>> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
>>
>> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
>> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and
>> right
>> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
>> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
>> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Tor-Tor" <Tor-Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I install this program onto my computer with vista on it, and
>> > then I
>> > click it to run the program, it tells me I do not have the privleges to
>> > run
>> > it, and to have the admin change the settings, however, I'm the admin
>> > on
>> > the
>> > computer, wouldn't it already work? how can I fix this problem so that
>> > can
>> > use my program?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Angie

Stoffi

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Hey, I am having these problems aswell.

I am currently trying to play lotro, but I'm getting the error that I can't
open the data files, and need to check if they excist or that I have
permission to write to them. I right click and run as admin, I've taken
ownership of the folder, I've made sure I got all rights in security settings
for the folder, that the subfolders/files inherit the permissions, etc.
Been working with this for some time now, finally found this forum.

Basically, I see 2 possible sollutions.

1: Someone helps me to set the correct settings for the folder.

2: someone helps me to login as the built-in admin, like you are explaining
in this thread.

I'm having problems with your sollution though. Where do I click that I want
to run as admin? I've right clicked everything in the Run-window, and I can't
get the option to run as admin.
When I type in net user administrator /active:yes , it says that system
error 5 has occured, and that I have no access. Obviously because I don't
have admin rights with my ADMIN user. Could you help me further here? So
close now.

And why is Vista a babysitter for me? I miss XP badly.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Michael
>
> You can unhide the Built-in Administrator account by doing this.
>
> Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the results, right click CMD.EXE and
> select the Run As Administrator option.
> In the command window, type the following.
>
> net user administrator /active:yes
>
> Press Enter.
>
> Open Control Panel and double click User Accounts. Click Manage another
> account. You should see the Administrator account there. Click Create
> Password and assign it a strong password.
>
> You can hide the administrator account by following the same steps and
> substituting no for the yes in the command.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem. Clicking on run as admin does not work, it still
> > wants the administrator to login before it will let me upgrade the bios on
> > my
> > computer. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! I don't want to click on a run as, I
> > want
> > to log on as the administrator for MY computer. When I activate the Admin
> > logon and try again, get the same message. What is up with Microsoft
> > creating an ID I can't use but must use to complete certain things? This
> > is
> > MY computer and I should have that login ability!
> > I've spent way too much time on this already. What do I have to do to
> > activate the hidden administrator login using a password that I generate?
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Tor
> >>
> >> When you use an administrator account in Vista, you are operating with
> >> standard privileges. Any Vista compatible program should prompt you for
> >> administrator credentials if it needs them to run.
> >>
> >> If a program behaves in the way you describe, it is not Vista compatible.
> >>
> >> To resolve this behavior, you can right click the programs shortcut and
> >> select the "Run As Administrator" option. If this works, go back and
> >> right
> >> click the shortcut and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Place a check
> >> mark in the Run As Administrator option. This should cause the program to
> >> prompt you whenever it starts, noprmally.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Stoffi

Maybe an easier way to get the command prompt running in administrator mode
would be to click Start / All Programs / Accessories. Right click the
Command Prompt there and select the Run As Administrator option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Stoffi" <Stoffi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >I have the same problem. Clicking on run as admin does not work, it
>> >still
>> > wants the administrator to login before it will let me upgrade the bios
>> > on
>> > my
>> > computer. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! I don't want to click on a run as,
>> > want
>> > to log on as the administrator for MY computer. When I activate the
>> > Admin
>> > logon and try again, get the same message. What is up with Microsoft
>> > creating an ID I can't use but must use to complete certain things?
>> > This
>> > is
>> > MY computer and I should have that login ability!
>> > I've spent way too much time on this already. What do I have to do to
>> > activate the hidden administrator login using a password that I

Stoffi

Re: Can't run program unless i'm admin..but im already admin
Ah, ofc.

And it worked well, I got to login as the built in administrator. But Vista
still won't let me run the game I want to. Apparently, adminstrator don't
have write access to the files....
Is there any way I can deactivate the babysitter-functions? I'm an adult, I
can be responsible for what I do to my comp and don't need any babysitter
deciding everything for me.
Or a another way to get around this and solve it.

- stoffi