error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by

Jim Harm

error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by
I am receiving the following error when trying to start the Windows Event Log
service;

"error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a wmi
provider"

Any ideas about how to get this service started. I have noticed searching
the web about this topic that many others are having the same difficulties.

Thanks,
--
Jim
BamBamBW

RE: error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by
I am having the same exact issue. Cannot start the Event log service...
since Auto Update ran yesterday. This has been happening to folks since Feb
2007 as far as I can tell from searching google. A search on MS Support or
KB articles has nothing listed! NOTHING ... this is a fairly widespread
problem... does anyone have any clue why this is happening... I mean come on
fellas... a complete reload of the OS is not a solution... and besides this
only fixes the problem temporaraly it re-surfaces for everyone that doesn't
give up on it and install a 3rd party event viewer...

Why won't Microsoft address this issue? At least acknowledge that the issue
exists?.. With all the useless security nags, bugs, reminders, and crap
Microsoft wants us to feel warm and fuzzy that our machines are secure.
Shouldn't the one tool we have to log events and access objects and view
audited objects be available? And if not shouldn't the fact that it will not
even start cause a FANTASTIC Warning, Security Bulletin, and a Persistant
dedication to the resolution ... Is it malware, have the ones experienceing
this issue been comprimised... Is the system logging events, Who
knows??????? CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT???

"Jim Harm" wrote:

> I am receiving the following error when trying to start the Windows Event Log
> service;
>
> "error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a wmi
> provider"
>
> Any ideas about how to get this service started. I have noticed searching
> the web about this topic that many others are having the same difficulties.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jim

Jim Harm

RE: error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as vali
All of my sentiments exactly, BamBam!! So where the HE** is Microsoft??!!
So here we are stuck with not even "Howdy Do" from MS. I actually only
became aware of this issue when I recently tried to install a program I
purchased called DisKeeper. It needed the event log stuff, bit like yourself
I couldn't get the service to start. Will you please email me if you should
find a resolution to this before our friends at MS decide to notice us.

Thanks,
--
Jim

"BamBamBW" wrote:

> I am having the same exact issue. Cannot start the Event log service...
> since Auto Update ran yesterday. This has been happening to folks since Feb
> 2007 as far as I can tell from searching google. A search on MS Support or
> KB articles has nothing listed! NOTHING ... this is a fairly widespread
> problem... does anyone have any clue why this is happening... I mean come on
> fellas... a complete reload of the OS is not a solution... and besides this
> only fixes the problem temporaraly it re-surfaces for everyone that doesn't
> give up on it and install a 3rd party event viewer...
>
> Why won't Microsoft address this issue? At least acknowledge that the issue
> exists?.. With all the useless security nags, bugs, reminders, and crap
> Microsoft wants us to feel warm and fuzzy that our machines are secure.
> Shouldn't the one tool we have to log events and access objects and view
> audited objects be available? And if not shouldn't the fact that it will not
> even start cause a FANTASTIC Warning, Security Bulletin, and a Persistant
> dedication to the resolution ... Is it malware, have the ones experienceing
> this issue been comprimised... Is the system logging events, Who
> knows??????? CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT???
>
> "Jim Harm" wrote:
>
> > I am receiving the following error when trying to start the Windows Event Log
> > service;
> >
> > "error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a wmi
> > provider"
> >
> > Any ideas about how to get this service started. I have noticed searching
> > the web about this topic that many others are having the same difficulties.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Jim

BamBamBW

RE: error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as vali
No problem if I hear of anything I will email you and post it. I called MS
today and thought I had a free phone call because I'm within my 90 days of
activation.... NOT you don't get any support if you buy a new machine with
Vista... only if you got it off the shelf and installed it yourself.

The support rep told me I could contact Toshiba... I huffed and explained
that the name of my OS is not TOSHIBA VISTA... it's Microsoft Vista..... She
wants 60 bucks to start an incident.. with a guaranteed resolution...

I can't do it....I don't know what I would do if they told me to wipe my
system and reload and said that was my guaranteed resolution ... I'd snap

You do the same if you hear of anyone with a fix please email me...

Later,
Bam

"Jim Harm" wrote:

> All of my sentiments exactly, BamBam!! So where the HE** is Microsoft??!!
> So here we are stuck with not even "Howdy Do" from MS. I actually only
> became aware of this issue when I recently tried to install a program I
> purchased called DisKeeper. It needed the event log stuff, bit like yourself
> I couldn't get the service to start. Will you please email me if you should
> find a resolution to this before our friends at MS decide to notice us.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jim
>

> "BamBamBW" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same exact issue. Cannot start the Event log service...
> > since Auto Update ran yesterday. This has been happening to folks since Feb
> > 2007 as far as I can tell from searching google. A search on MS Support or
> > KB articles has nothing listed! NOTHING ... this is a fairly widespread
> > problem... does anyone have any clue why this is happening... I mean come on
> > fellas... a complete reload of the OS is not a solution... and besides this
> > only fixes the problem temporaraly it re-surfaces for everyone that doesn't
> > give up on it and install a 3rd party event viewer...
> >
> > Why won't Microsoft address this issue? At least acknowledge that the issue
> > exists?.. With all the useless security nags, bugs, reminders, and crap
> > Microsoft wants us to feel warm and fuzzy that our machines are secure.
> > Shouldn't the one tool we have to log events and access objects and view
> > audited objects be available? And if not shouldn't the fact that it will not
> > even start cause a FANTASTIC Warning, Security Bulletin, and a Persistant
> > dedication to the resolution ... Is it malware, have the ones experienceing
> > this issue been comprimised... Is the system logging events, Who
> > knows??????? CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT???
> >
> > "Jim Harm" wrote:
> >
> > > I am receiving the following error when trying to start the Windows Event Log
> > > service;
> > >
> > > "error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a wmi
> > > provider"
> > >
> > > Any ideas about how to get this service started. I have noticed searching
> > > the web about this topic that many others are having the same difficulties.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Jim

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: error 4201 the instance name passed was not recognized as valid by
Go to the following website and scroll down to the 10th message. The fix for
this problem is there. You might want to go to page one and read that entire
thread so you can see the entire issue.

Event log error 4201 - ERROR_WMI_INSTANCE_NOT_FOUND - MSDN Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...&tf=0&pageid=1

Or

http://tinyurl.com/352tno

--