Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

theredbaron

Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista
I have just received my new Inspiron 531 with Vista (I couldn't persuade Dell
to sell me one with XP).
I have set it up and initially all was well. Now I have installed all my
programs, I find that I cannot open Internet explorer by double left clicking
the desktop icon.
What happens if I do that is either:
C++ runtime error message or
It says not responding and 100% but does not display the page.
The way I have found around this is to right click the desktop icon and left
click 'run as administrator'. This opens up google straight away.
I thought initially this may be because my user profile was not set as
administrator, but I have reset me as administrator now.
Then I read in Personal Computer World that Vista comes with Administrator
level access disabled. I followed their instructions as to how to reset it
but became lost (I think they were using a different version of Vista to
reset user properties).
Then I rang Dell Helpline who said we are now closed! Apparently when users
get home from work and in front of their PC (6pm) they have closed and gone
home and only the expensive technical phone line for business users helpline
works!
They are getting me a call back from someone at home tonight from the free
phone line if I am home by 530pm.
They are going along the lines of assuming that McAfee has restricted access
to internet explorer.
Last night they talked me through resetting some of internet explorer
settings, and had me close down McAfee Security while I made adjustments to
Internet explorer.
This didn't work at all, so I put McAfee back on until a solution arrives.
This is a niggling problem, and hopefully not a serious one. I like the
product and am satisfied with the deal.
I cant believe that Dell have a business helpline open outside business
hours, and home users who must buy a lot of Dell PC's are left without help
in the evening when they use their PC's.
I can't tell Dell customer service I am satisfied (which they seem to be
concerned about, I am beginning to think they are paid for each person that
says the S word). I would be satisfied if the after sales helpline is as good
as the product appears to be.
Does anyone know how to open internet explorer without pretending to be
another administrator?

RuLeX

Re: Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

I am having the same problem, please let me know if you found an answer.

--
RuLeX
darkassain

Re: Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

the way i see it have you updated IE completely???
which version of vista are using (home premium most likely but is it 64
or 32??)

for the c++ errors
download these in order given (of course choose the architecture either
x86 or x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package

(x86)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
(x64)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package
(x86)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
(x64)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package
(x86)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
(x64)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
(x86)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
(x64)
'Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)'

--
darkassain
RuLeX

Re: Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

I've installed Visual CC++ according to my system, and I'm still having
the same problem. I can still open Internet but only if i run as
administrator. If you have any other idea of why this is happening let
me know, and thanks for the other recommendation.

--
RuLeX
darkassain

Re: Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

download and install

'DropMyRights - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET
Download.com'
(http://www.download.com/DropMyRights...-10722877.html)

then download these shortcuts
the regular link is for 32bit
the 64 link is for 64bit
see if you can run it
and if you get any errors..

post a screenshot..

|Filename: dropmyrights IE.zip |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=8974 |

darkassain
RuLeX

Re: Internet explorer not opening unless 'run as administrator' Vista

Nope still can't get it to work, I downloaded the software installed it,
click on the shortcuts and the internet will just open for 1 second or
less. Kind of blinks, unless i open as administrator. I didn't get any
error messages though. Thanks for trying to help though.

--
RuLeX