Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?

cheesegrater

Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,

"As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your system
administrator for help."

I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator account is
turned off. Can anybody help me?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click the
programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run As
Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.

In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still are
running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission to
elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this to
happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista compatible
will not ask for permission.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
> programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
>
> "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
> rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your system
> administrator for help."
>

> I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator account
> is
> turned off. Can anybody help me?

cheesegrater

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
Thanks for the reply, but I am trying to download Real player, and there is
no way to run as administrator. Am I just missing something?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click the
> programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run As
> Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>
> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still are
> running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission to
> elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this to
> happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista compatible
> will not ask for permission.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
> > programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
> >
> > "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
> > rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your system
> > administrator for help."
> >

> > I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator account
> > is
> > turned off. Can anybody help me?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
If you just download the installation file, you should be able to select the
run as administrator option? Are you selecting to install from the website
instead of downloading first?

--

> Thanks for the reply, but I am trying to download Real player, and there
> is
> no way to run as administrator. Am I just missing something?
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click
>> the
>> programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run As
>> Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>>
>> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still
>> are
>> running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission to
>> elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this to
>> happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista
>> compatible
>> will not ask for permission.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
>> > programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
>> >
>> > "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating
>> > system
>> > rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your
>> > system
>> > administrator for help."
>> >

>> > I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator
>> > account
>> > is
>> > turned off. Can anybody help me?

I. M. Curious

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
How about completely ELIMINATING this annoying and useless "feature"
It's denying me access all over the place
Frankly I'm so sick of it, I'm seriously considering moving back to XP or
even installing some variant of Linux

Hell, I can't even do a
dir *.*/s >filenames.txt
Without getting and access denied message

I don't need this level of idiot hand-holding in the name of nanny-state
security

I am the sole owner,
I am the sole user
I am the sole administrator of this box

I don't need this program to constantly tell me that I don't have the
authority to do the things I've been doing before Vista came along

> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click
> the programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run
> As Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>
> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still
> are running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission
> to elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this
> to happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista
> compatible will not ask for permission.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
>> programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
>>
>> "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
>> rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your
>> system
>> administrator for help."
>>

>> I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator account
>> is
>> turned off. Can anybody help me?

eclipseujano@gmail.com

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
I am having the same problem. I am an administrator and when i was
downloading something from a disc, it said that i do not have
administrative rights. How to i fix it?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
I.M. Curious

If it really bothers you THAT much, why not just turn it off?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"I. M. Curious" <IM@Curious.com> wrote in message
> How about completely ELIMINATING this annoying and useless "feature"
> It's denying me access all over the place
> Frankly I'm so sick of it, I'm seriously considering moving back to XP or
> even installing some variant of Linux
>
> Hell, I can't even do a
> dir *.*/s >filenames.txt
> Without getting and access denied message
>

> I don't need this level of idiot hand-holding in the name of nanny-state
> security
>
> I am the sole owner,
> I am the sole user
> I am the sole administrator of this box
>
> I don't need this program to constantly tell me that I don't have the
> authority to do the things I've been doing before Vista came along
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click
>> the programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run
>> As Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>>
>> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still
>> are running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission
>> to elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this
>> to happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista
>> compatible will not ask for permission.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
>>> programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
>>>
>>> "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
>>> rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your
>>> system
>>> administrator for help."
>>>

>>> I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator
>>> account is
>>> turned off. Can anybody help me?

rquest

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
Hello Ronnie, Thanx for the info on this. I see that, myself, and some 700
others on blog sites have the same problem of Vista 64 not loading the driver
for Sony dvd 720A.
When I try to flash the updated driver Vista says no matched drive detected.
But in system manager it says it sees the sony dvd 720A with a !warning on
the driver.
Should I simply buy a new drive and put this one on an xp pc or is their a
fix?

i invite you to consider this

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click the
> programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run As
> Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>
> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still are
> running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission to
> elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this to
> happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista compatible
> will not ask for permission.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
> > programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
> >
> > "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating system
> > rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your system
> > administrator for help."
> >

> > I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator account
> > is
> > turned off. Can anybody help me?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
Rquest

If you have a place to use that drive, you may be better off doing just
that. Like you, I did some research on this and it doesn't look like Sony is
very intertested in fixing the problem.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"rquest" <rquest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Ronnie, Thanx for the info on this. I see that, myself, and some 700
> others on blog sites have the same problem of Vista 64 not loading the
> driver
> for Sony dvd 720A.
> When I try to flash the updated driver Vista says no matched drive
> detected.
> But in system manager it says it sees the sony dvd 720A with a !warning on
> the driver.
> Should I simply buy a new drive and put this one on an xp pc or is their a
> fix?
>
> i invite you to consider this
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to avoid this error message if you simply right click
>> the
>> programs installation file ( usually Setup.exe ) and select the "Run As
>> Administrator" option. Do this if you trust this program.
>>
>> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still
>> are
>> running with Standard Privileges. When a program asks your permission to
>> elevate it to administrator privileges, then you can either allow this to
>> happen or deny the request. Some programs that are not yet Vista
>> compatible
>> will not ask for permission.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "cheesegrater" <cheesegrater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I logged on to an account in my administrators group to install a few
>> > programs. When they were ready to install, i got a message saying,
>> >
>> > "As a Restricted User you do not have adequeate windows operating
>> > system
>> > rights to use this program to install software. Please Contact your
>> > system
>> > administrator for help."
>> >

>> > I am on the administrator's account, and the hidden administrator
>> > account
>> > is
>> > turned off. Can anybody help me?

rquest

Re: Windows Vista Administrator account off but on?
Thanks for the follow-up. Another Admin question please: When I click on
"Administrator" instead of "Ron" in the administrator group, it asks for my
full name, but I see no place to add a password. If I reboot after adding the
full name, will I see Administrator "Name" and will it then ask for a
password, or will I get locked out as administrator? I am a little confused
about this.