Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Administrator not recognized as such

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2007
Mild Mannered Professor
 

Posts: n/a
Administrator not recognized as such
Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
move it into C:\Windows.

Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
as an administrator. What's missing?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2007
ask4jm
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such
Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.

You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
executable and clicking on run as administrator


"Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:

> Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> move it into C:\Windows.
>
> Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> as an administrator. What's missing?
>
> Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2007
Mild Mannered Professor
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such
I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to recognize my account,
specified as belong to the group "administrators" as being an administrator.
I've run out of ideas or reasons for this. Any other ideas as to why this is
happening would be greatly appreciated.

"ask4jm" wrote:

> Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.
>
> You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
> executable and clicking on run as administrator
>
>
> "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
>
> > Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> > notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> > identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> > administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> > BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> > involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> > administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> > move it into C:\Windows.
> >
> > Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> > as an administrator. What's missing?
> >
> > Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
ask4jm
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such

Right click on My Computer->Manage to open Computer Management Console

Select System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users (on the left pane)

Now u should see the users listed on the right pane. Right click on the user
u r logging in and select properties.

Now select the Member Of tab and check if administrator is listed on the
top. If not you r not using an administrator account.



"Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:

> I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to recognize my account,
> specified as belong to the group "administrators" as being an administrator.
> I've run out of ideas or reasons for this. Any other ideas as to why this is
> happening would be greatly appreciated.
>
> "ask4jm" wrote:
>
> > Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.
> >
> > You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
> > executable and clicking on run as administrator
> >
> >
> > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> >
> > > Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> > > notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> > > identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> > > administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> > > BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> > > involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> > > administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> > > move it into C:\Windows.
> > >
> > > Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> > > as an administrator. What's missing?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
Mild Mannered Professor
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such
Yep, the account is listed an a member of the Administrators group. Something
strange is going on here and I'm at a loss as to why a member of the
administrators group cannot function as an administrator. Is there anything
else that can be amiss?

Thanks

"ask4jm" wrote:

>
> Right click on My Computer->Manage to open Computer Management Console
>
> Select System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users (on the left pane)
>
> Now u should see the users listed on the right pane. Right click on the user
> u r logging in and select properties.
>
> Now select the Member Of tab and check if administrator is listed on the
> top. If not you r not using an administrator account.
>
>
>
> "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
>
> > I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to recognize my account,
> > specified as belong to the group "administrators" as being an administrator.
> > I've run out of ideas or reasons for this. Any other ideas as to why this is
> > happening would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > "ask4jm" wrote:
> >
> > > Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.
> > >
> > > You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
> > > executable and clicking on run as administrator
> > >
> > >
> > > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> > > > notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> > > > identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> > > > administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> > > > BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> > > > involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> > > > administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> > > > move it into C:\Windows.
> > > >
> > > > Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> > > > as an administrator. What's missing?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2007
ask4jm
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such
Run Command Prompt as administrator by right clicking on it and selecting Run
as administrator

Now execute the program installers using this command prompt.

(Command prompt available at "All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt")

"Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:

> Yep, the account is listed an a member of the Administrators group. Something
> strange is going on here and I'm at a loss as to why a member of the
> administrators group cannot function as an administrator. Is there anything
> else that can be amiss?
>
> Thanks
>
> "ask4jm" wrote:
>
> >
> > Right click on My Computer->Manage to open Computer Management Console
> >
> > Select System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users (on the left pane)
> >
> > Now u should see the users listed on the right pane. Right click on the user
> > u r logging in and select properties.
> >
> > Now select the Member Of tab and check if administrator is listed on the
> > top. If not you r not using an administrator account.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> >
> > > I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to recognize my account,
> > > specified as belong to the group "administrators" as being an administrator.
> > > I've run out of ideas or reasons for this. Any other ideas as to why this is
> > > happening would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > "ask4jm" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.
> > > >
> > > > You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
> > > > executable and clicking on run as administrator
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> > > > > notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> > > > > identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> > > > > administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> > > > > BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> > > > > involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> > > > > administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> > > > > move it into C:\Windows.
> > > > >
> > > > > Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> > > > > as an administrator. What's missing?
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2007
Mild Mannered Professor
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Administrator not recognized as such
Thanks for the help but I think I'm going to go back to XP on this computer.
If I can't use administrative permissions I have no choice. I do apprecitate
the help though!

Louis

"ask4jm" wrote:

> Run Command Prompt as administrator by right clicking on it and selecting Run
> as administrator
>
> Now execute the program installers using this command prompt.
>
> (Command prompt available at "All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt")
>
> "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
>
> > Yep, the account is listed an a member of the Administrators group. Something
> > strange is going on here and I'm at a loss as to why a member of the
> > administrators group cannot function as an administrator. Is there anything
> > else that can be amiss?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "ask4jm" wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Right click on My Computer->Manage to open Computer Management Console
> > >
> > > Select System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users (on the left pane)
> > >
> > > Now u should see the users listed on the right pane. Right click on the user
> > > u r logging in and select properties.
> > >
> > > Now select the Member Of tab and check if administrator is listed on the
> > > top. If not you r not using an administrator account.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to recognize my account,
> > > > specified as belong to the group "administrators" as being an administrator.
> > > > I've run out of ideas or reasons for this. Any other ideas as to why this is
> > > > happening would be greatly appreciated.
> > > >
> > > > "ask4jm" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Actually Vista introduces new security policies to harden the system.
> > > > >
> > > > > You must be able to install the softwares by right clicking on the
> > > > > executable and clicking on run as administrator
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "Mild Mannered Professor" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > Our I.T. department which does not support Vista yet has set up my Vista
> > > > > > notebook with one of the I.T. folks having an administrative account and then
> > > > > > identified my personal account as being an administrator. Even with that
> > > > > > administrator identity I still cannot install software such as FireFox and
> > > > > > BOINC which need to access the C:\Windows directory. Part of the install
> > > > > > involves a folder named Downloaded Installations in C:\Windows. Even as an
> > > > > > administrator I cannot create that folder myself nor create one elsewhere and
> > > > > > move it into C:\Windows.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Therefore my question would be how to get Vista to recognize my user account
> > > > > > as an administrator. What's missing?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
administrator priv not recognized after program closes =?Utf-8?B?Ym12?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 5 08-10-2007 21:20
run as administrator/rights still not recognized becky microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 07-25-2007 21:54
If I am logged in as administrator why don't programs run as administrator vista? RoaringLambs microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 06-14-2007 00:17
Cannot Perform Administrator Tasks but I'm an Administrator Watson349 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-06-2007 05:06
System Administrator vs. Application Administrator Dave R. microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 02-28-2007 14:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120