the same account shows twice on login screen

SteveS

the same account shows twice on login screen
On my login screen - each user has their own username and picture - however,
each user account - their account shows up twice on that screen (so I have 4
users on this computer, but each account is doubled on the login screen, so I
see eight of them). Does anyone know why this happens? If it matters or
could be related, I just upgraded from Visa Home Premium to Ultimate edition.

Thanks in advance.
TheBigKL

RE: the same account shows twice on login screen
This is happening also to me in Vista Home Premium, but only after I applied
the latest "performance" update. I've tried deleting the second user,
removing passwords, etc., but to no avail.

"SteveS" wrote:

> On my login screen - each user has their own username and picture - however,
> each user account - their account shows up twice on that screen (so I have 4
> users on this computer, but each account is doubled on the login screen, so I
> see eight of them). Does anyone know why this happens? If it matters or
> could be related, I just upgraded from Visa Home Premium to Ultimate edition.
>
> Thanks in advance.

SteveS

RE: the same account shows twice on login screen
i solved my issue and maybe it applies to you too.
My laptop is from Fujitsu and it came with OmniPass software (the
fingerprint scanner software to log in). I saw other postings elsewhere
about it duplicating users on the login screen. I uninstalled the software,
rebooted - problem fixed (no more duplicate users). I reinstalled the
software, rebooted, the duplicate users did not show up. I think it stems
from the upgrade I did from Home Premium to Ultimate and had that software
installed.

"TheBigKL" wrote:

> This is happening also to me in Vista Home Premium, but only after I applied
> the latest "performance" update. I've tried deleting the second user,
> removing passwords, etc., but to no avail.
>
> "SteveS" wrote:
>
> > On my login screen - each user has their own username and picture - however,
> > each user account - their account shows up twice on that screen (so I have 4
> > users on this computer, but each account is doubled on the login screen, so I
> > see eight of them). Does anyone know why this happens? If it matters or
> > could be related, I just upgraded from Visa Home Premium to Ultimate edition.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: the same account shows twice on login screen
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:58:01 -0700, SteveS

>My laptop is from Fujitsu and it came with OmniPass software (the
>fingerprint scanner software to log in). I saw other postings elsewhere
>about it duplicating users on the login screen. I uninstalled the software,
>rebooted - problem fixed (no more duplicate users). I reinstalled the
>software, rebooted, the duplicate users did not show up. I think it stems
>from the upgrade I did from Home Premium to Ultimate and had that software
>installed.

Yes; any "repair install" of XP will prompt you to create new user
accounts even though you already have user accounts, and registry
settings that clearly indicate these accounts are in use.

If you then enter the same name(s) as existing accounts, then new
accounts are created with the same name.

Vista may avoid this conundrum, but fall into others.

Behind the scenes, the real names are not the same, because the real
names are something quite different to what Windows shows you. Messy,
but key to the ability of preserving continuity while allowing you to
change the account name after it's created.

Specifically, you encounter not one, nor two, but three name sets:
- the "real" unique identifier, of the form S-n-n-nn-nnn...
- the name of the account base folder in Users or D&S
- the name as seen at logon on when managing users

In the case of account duplication in XP, you will have:
- unique and unrelated S-n-n-nn-nnnn... identifiers
- old Name and new Name.PCName account folders
- the same name at logon and account management

The risks of deleting the wrong material should be obvious.

Error Messages Are Your Friends

TheBigKL

RE: the same account shows twice on login screen
Ahhh... this apparently WAS the problem. I have a Toshiba with OmniPass, and
reinstalling it did exactly what you predicted. Thanks much!