Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.

microsoft.public.security.forefront

Pitti

Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.
Hello,

First, sorry about my bad english.

My customer has Windows Small Business Server 2003, and I was last week
to make installation Microsoft updates to the server.
Every other update went just fine, but KB971026 (Update For Microsoft
Forefront Client Security) uninstalled the whole FCS-program, and after
that it could not re-install FCS to the server.
I rebooted the server two times, and tried to install FCS to the server,
but no luck.
If I just click MP_AMBITS32.MSI-file, the installation will start, but
it also will end to error "Service 'Microsoft Forefront Client Security
Antimalware Service' (FCSAM) failed to start. Verify that you have
sufficient priviledges to start system services". Then there is Retry-
and Cancel-buttons available to press. Retry-button gives that error
again, and Cancel is only way to get out of this error.
When this error occurs, I went also to the Services, and tried to
manually start this service, but it said that service started and stopped.
I am installing this with Administrator-account.
I also downloaded Microsoft Catalog service a new installation package
FCS-program (KB971026), and this is exe-file, and when I will double
click that, the installation will begin, but it also will end to error
"Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed. See log
'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront\Client
Security\Client\Logs\mp_ambits.log' for more information". I have been
check the log-file, but haven't seen anything weird.
I didn't paste the log-file here, because it is really big, about 460kb,
but I will if someone needs it.

I allready make some google search with this problem, and found some
same kind of problem, but they didn't help me.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-960b67eec8d7

If someone need more information, I will happily give it, just ask.

Thanks for advanced, if someone can help me with this case.
Jani
Pitti

Re: Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.
Hello,

Does anybody have ideas about this case?
Now I have second server, which has same problem, and now it is Windows
Server 2008 Standard.

Please, anybody!
Jani

27.10.2009 14:10, Pitti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, sorry about my bad english.
>
> My customer has Windows Small Business Server 2003, and I was last week
> to make installation Microsoft updates to the server.
> Every other update went just fine, but KB971026 (Update For Microsoft
> Forefront Client Security) uninstalled the whole FCS-program, and after
> that it could not re-install FCS to the server.
> I rebooted the server two times, and tried to install FCS to the server,
> but no luck.
> If I just click MP_AMBITS32.MSI-file, the installation will start, but
> it also will end to error "Service 'Microsoft Forefront Client Security
> Antimalware Service' (FCSAM) failed to start. Verify that you have
> sufficient priviledges to start system services". Then there is Retry-
> and Cancel-buttons available to press. Retry-button gives that error
> again, and Cancel is only way to get out of this error.
> When this error occurs, I went also to the Services, and tried to
> manually start this service, but it said that service started and stopped.
> I am installing this with Administrator-account.
> I also downloaded Microsoft Catalog service a new installation package
> FCS-program (KB971026), and this is exe-file, and when I will double
> click that, the installation will begin, but it also will end to error
> "Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed. See log
> 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront\Client
> Security\Client\Logs\mp_ambits.log' for more information". I have been
> check the log-file, but haven't seen anything weird.
> I didn't paste the log-file here, because it is really big, about 460kb,
> but I will if someone needs it.
>
> I allready make some google search with this problem, and found some
> same kind of problem, but they didn't help me.
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-960b67eec8d7
>

> If someone need more information, I will happily give it, just ask.
>
> Thanks for advanced, if someone can help me with this case.
> Jani

Andres Galvan Badillo

Re: Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.
try to install forefront client security sp1

--
Ing. Andrés Galván

http://cid-2132792198431d35.skydrive...m/summary.aspx
http://twitter.com/kldotech
http://www.facebook.com/andres.gal

"Pitti" <pitti@noemail.noemail> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:#0fVRKagKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody have ideas about this case?
> Now I have second server, which has same problem, and now it is Windows
> Server 2008 Standard.
>
> Please, anybody!
> Jani
>
> 27.10.2009 14:10, Pitti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First, sorry about my bad english.
>>
>> My customer has Windows Small Business Server 2003, and I was last week
>> to make installation Microsoft updates to the server.
>> Every other update went just fine, but KB971026 (Update For Microsoft
>> Forefront Client Security) uninstalled the whole FCS-program, and after
>> that it could not re-install FCS to the server.
>> I rebooted the server two times, and tried to install FCS to the server,
>> but no luck.
>> If I just click MP_AMBITS32.MSI-file, the installation will start, but
>> it also will end to error "Service 'Microsoft Forefront Client Security
>> Antimalware Service' (FCSAM) failed to start. Verify that you have
>> sufficient priviledges to start system services". Then there is Retry-
>> and Cancel-buttons available to press. Retry-button gives that error
>> again, and Cancel is only way to get out of this error.
>> When this error occurs, I went also to the Services, and tried to
>> manually start this service, but it said that service started and
>> stopped.
>> I am installing this with Administrator-account.
>> I also downloaded Microsoft Catalog service a new installation package
>> FCS-program (KB971026), and this is exe-file, and when I will double
>> click that, the installation will begin, but it also will end to error
>> "Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed. See log
>> 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront\Client
>> Security\Client\Logs\mp_ambits.log' for more information". I have been
>> check the log-file, but haven't seen anything weird.
>> I didn't paste the log-file here, because it is really big, about 460kb,
>> but I will if someone needs it.
>>
>> I allready make some google search with this problem, and found some
>> same kind of problem, but they didn't help me.
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-960b67eec8d7
>>

>> If someone need more information, I will happily give it, just ask.
>>
>> Thanks for advanced, if someone can help me with this case.
>> Jani

Pitti

Re: Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.
Hello Andres,

I have been try to install latest version (KB976668) / 1.5.1973.0, but
no luck.
The errors are identical as early versions.

Finally someone answered!
Please, give me more advise about this case.
Jani

4.1.2010 19:42, Andres Galvan Badillo wrote:
> try to install forefront client security sp1

Pitti

Re: Forefront Client Security Update-Installation problem.
Finally solution!

I finally found the solution, that why FCS won´t install it self again
after making those Microsoft updates.

Somehow two registry keys were left to wrong value.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Mic rosoft
Forefront\Client Security\1.0\AM and there is two REG_DWORD that was
wrong value. DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntivirus. Those values was
both 1 and should be changed to 0.
After changed those two values to 0, then installation went just fine,
and now it's working.

I hope that this guide will help someone!
Pitti