can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?

microsoft.public.security.forefront

Paul O'Donnell

can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
I'm looking to add a footer/signaure/stamp to outgoing emails to certified
that they have been scanned. Is this possible from Forefront?
Dieter Rauscher [MVP]

Re: can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
Hi Paul,

> I'm looking to add a footer/signaure/stamp to outgoing emails to certified
> that they have been scanned. Is this possible from Forefront?

You could use the "Disclaimer" functionality of FSE.

Regards,
Dieter

--
Dieter Rauscher
MVP Forefront

Paul O'Donnell

Re: can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
"Dieter Rauscher [MVP]" <dieter.rauscher@msisafaq.de> wrote in

> Hi Paul,
>
>> I'm looking to add a footer/signaure/stamp to outgoing emails to
>> certified that they have been scanned. Is this possible from
>> Forefront?

> You could use the "Disclaimer" functionality of FSE.
>
> Regards,
> Dieter

Go, on, I give in, where do I find this functionality? I've scoured the
whole interface, and the help file and also the web, and apart from a
link back to this thread, all I can find is a technet article on a reg
hack to permit non-ASCII characters in the disclaimer.

So can you throw me a bone and point me in the right direction?

TIA

Paul
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
Why do this? I've seen other virus scanners append such text, and I've
always thought it rather superfluous. Unless an email message is digitally
signed, then you really can't trust that any of the text in the message --
including virus scanner footers -- is legitimate. It's trivial for an
attacker to add fake footers or remove real ones.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

news:Xns9ADE8F16894C3spamtrapdeadspamcom@207.46.24 8.16...

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" <steve.riley@microsoft.com> wrote in

> Why do this? I've seen other virus scanners append such text, and I've
> always thought it rather superfluous. Unless an email message is
> digitally signed, then you really can't trust that any of the text in
> the message -- including virus scanner footers -- is legitimate. It's
> trivial for an attacker to add fake footers or remove real ones.

Well, it complies with the companies data security policy. We insist that
all email is scanned, and we expect it from our partner companies, and by
appending this superfluous text, even though it proves very little to a
hardened techie like yourself, it shows to people that we are holding up
our end of our policy.

Can anyone actually tell me how to envoke this "Disclaimer" function in
Forefront?

Paul O'Donnell
Dieter Rauscher [MVP]

Re: can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
Hi Paul,

>>> I'm looking to add a footer/signaure/stamp to outgoing emails to
>>> certified that they have been scanned. Is this possible from
>>> Forefront?

>> You could use the "Disclaimer" functionality of FSE.

> Go, on, I give in, where do I find this functionality? I've scoured the
> whole interface, and the help file and also the web, and apart from a
> link back to this thread, all I can find is a technet article on a reg
> hack to permit non-ASCII characters in the disclaimer.
>
> So can you throw me a bone and point me in the right direction?

Sorry, I gave you the wrong answer. The 'Disclaimer' functionality I was
referring to only exists in Antigen and was removed in FSE.
FSE is based on Exchange Server 2007 and with that you'll have a much more
suitable option using Transport Rules within E2k7.

This might help:
How to Configure a Disclaimer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Dieter

--
Dieter Rauscher
MVP Forefront
Website: http://www.msisafaq.de
Blog: http://msmvps.com/rauscher/
Buch: http://www.msisafaq.de/buch/
Peter Lawton

Re: can Forefront add a AV scanned footer stamp?
I totally agree a virus could just as easily add a "scanned by " footer to
make people think the message is safe.

The reason a lot of AV vendors append this footer by default is purely so
that, as well as paying through the nose for their software, you're also
spamming every recipient you send an email to with an advert for
McKafferties AV or some such. It's just like the the footers
"IncrediblyAwfulMail" free version adds email messages so that using their
product you do all their advertising for them.

If you really want to do it just set an Exchange transport rule (if you're
using Exchange 2007, a transport sink if you aren't) to add a meaningless
footer of your choice, it'll be just as valid

My take on it is that it's meaningless and it annoys the recipients of your
emails, why do it

Peter Lawton

> How to Configure a Disclaimer
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx