Re: ForeFront for little Domain

microsoft.public.security.forefront

Jabez Gan [MVP]

Re: ForeFront for little Domain
Hi Patick,

Cross posting to forefront's NG.

BTW: microsoft.public.security.forefront is forefront's newsgroup (NG).

--
Jabez Gan
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - File Storage
"Patrick D." <PatrickD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find a newsgroup named "ForeFront".
>
> I want to implement ForeFront in a very little Domain.
> Since I am new to ForeFront I wonder, that during the hardware-test at the
> beginning of the installation I am asked to mount rather "heavy" hardware,
> roll out ForeFront.
> How do I roll out ForeFront in a very small business?
> Is there a whitepaper or an url for such a scenario?
>
> Thanks for your hint.
>
> regards
> Patrick

Dieter Rauscher [MVP]

Re: ForeFront for little Domain
Hi Patrick,

>> I couldn't find a newsgroup named "ForeFront".

As Jabez mentioned: microsoft.public.security.forefront is a good place for
Questions on Forefront.

>> I want to implement ForeFront in a very little Domain.
>> Since I am new to ForeFront I wonder, that during the hardware-test at
>> the
>> beginning of the installation I am asked to mount rather "heavy"
>> hardware, to roll out ForeFront.

I guess, you are talking about FCS (Forefront Client Security), aren't you?

>> How do I roll out ForeFront in a very small business?
>> Is there a whitepaper or an url for such a scenario?

What is "very little"? <20? If yes, why FCS and not OneCare etc.?
I'd say, just size your servers in a reasonalbe way and go ahead. You do not
need to have a quad core with 10GB Ram for a small network.
I'm not aware of a specific white paper for that size.

P.S: F'up2 microsoft.public.security.forefront

HTH

Regards,
Dieter

--
Dieter Rauscher
MVP ISA Server

Patrick D.

Re: ForeFront for little Domain
Hi,

Of course I can post my issue in microsoft.public.security.forefront: But
going to this ng, I get an empty newsgroup-window "newsgroup not found".
I this one temporary unavailable?

regards
Patrick

"Dieter Rauscher [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> >> I couldn't find a newsgroup named "ForeFront".

> As Jabez mentioned: microsoft.public.security.forefront is a good place for
> Questions on Forefront.
>
> >> I want to implement ForeFront in a very little Domain.
> >> Since I am new to ForeFront I wonder, that during the hardware-test at
> >> the
> >> beginning of the installation I am asked to mount rather "heavy"
> >> hardware, to roll out ForeFront.

> I guess, you are talking about FCS (Forefront Client Security), aren't you?
>
> >> How do I roll out ForeFront in a very small business?
> >> Is there a whitepaper or an url for such a scenario?

> What is "very little"? <20? If yes, why FCS and not OneCare etc.?
> I'd say, just size your servers in a reasonalbe way and go ahead. You do not
> need to have a quad core with 10GB Ram for a small network.
> I'm not aware of a specific white paper for that size.
>
> P.S: F'up2 microsoft.public.security.forefront
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
> Dieter
>
> --
> Dieter Rauscher
> MVP ISA Server
> Website: http://www.msisafaq.de
> Blog: http://msmvps.com/rauscher/
> Buch: http://www.msisafaq.de/buch/

Bill Walter

Re: ForeFront for little Domain
I think one option is to get the "Unmanaged Client Licenses" and just
manually install the real-time and scan Forefront Client on each workstation
and setup Automatic Updates to get the updates from Microsoft update. That
ends up costing just a few dollars per year per computer and does not
require any server resources. This is like installing OneCare without the
backup and tune-up options.

Bill Walter