MS Update and loss of application RDP

Geoffry

MS Update and loss of application RDP
I have an application that I can use through RDP that now does not display in
a session. I will get the splash screen of the application then it will
freeze, never actually starting the application.

My W2K3 servers are in a non-internet environment, so I generally don't
update my servers but twice a year, but my XP desktops are in the general
area so they are auto updated frequently.

So, I believe it is one of the many updates I recently added to my servers
that may be the culprit, but I don't want to randomly uninstall the MS
patches. How can I find which patches are specifically related to RDP?

MowGreen

Re: MS Update and loss of application RDP
Geoffry wrote:
> I have an application that I can use through RDP that now does not display in
> a session. I will get the splash screen of the application then it will
> freeze, never actually starting the application.
>
> My W2K3 servers are in a non-internet environment, so I generally don't
> update my servers but twice a year, but my XP desktops are in the general
> area so they are auto updated frequently.
>
> So, I believe it is one of the many updates I recently added to my servers
> that may be the culprit, but I don't want to randomly uninstall the MS
> patches. How can I find which patches are specifically related to RDP?

First, see the 'Known issues with this security update' heading here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947

" After you install this security update on a Windows XP-based computer
that is using an NVIDIA or ATI-based video adapter, Remote Desktop
Connection sessions may hang or stop responding. To resolve this
problem, install the latest drivers for your video card. "

If no joy, here's a list of all updates issued for 2010:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

And, for 2009: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979198

MowGreen