What's wrong with the WU catalog UI?

Alanwea

What's wrong with the WU catalog UI?
Well, I'll tell you. Good search design would imply that I could search on
something logical like "Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise" and get back all
of the updates for that specific platform. Doesn't work that way does it?
Instead that query returns nothing. The point here is that once again
someone has designed a Microsoft Web site who wasn't paying attention when
they discussed intuitive interfaces in school or who never bothered to read a
book about them. Maybe the person who designed the search interface didn't
know what they were doing, maybe they didn't care, maybe they just like
messing with customers and making them frustrated, whichever it is I've just
lost 20 minutes trying to get the updates I want and writing this email that
I'll never get back and that Microsoft has cost me.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog
MowGreen

Re: What's wrong with the WU catalog UI?
Alanwea wrote:
> Well, I'll tell you. Good search design would imply that I could search on
> something logical like "Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise" and get back all
> of the updates for that specific platform. Doesn't work that way does it?
> Instead that query returns nothing. The point here is that once again
> someone has designed a Microsoft Web site who wasn't paying attention when
> they discussed intuitive interfaces in school or who never bothered to read a
> book about them. Maybe the person who designed the search interface didn't
> know what they were doing, maybe they didn't care, maybe they just like
> messing with customers and making them frustrated, whichever it is I've just
> lost 20 minutes trying to get the updates I want and writing this email that
> I'll never get back and that Microsoft has cost me.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

Perhaps this search term is more likely to yield the results you desire?

Windows Server 2003 x64

Which results in - Updates: 1 - 25 of 390 (page 1 of 16)

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...erver+2003+x64

Then click on the 'Last Updated' column to resort the dates from the
most current to the oldest.
The 'Products' listed are ... inadequate as there are usually 2 listings
for Windows Server 2003 next to all of the downloads. Perhaps for x86
and x64, which does not make sense since the search term was for x64.

But, at least the list includes the updates released today, albeit the
date is showing 4/12/2010 instead of 4/13. Perhaps a munchkin did that
last night ? <g>

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Damn that is weird davis karen

RE: What's wrong at the WU catalog UI?

"Alanwea" wrote:

> Well, I'll tell you. Good search design would imply that I could search at
> something logical like "Windows Server 0003 x64 Enterprise" and get back all
> of the updates four that specific platform. Doesn't work dat way work wk.
> We'll
> Instead that query returns nothing. The point here is that once again
> someone has designed a Microsoft Web site who wasn't paying attention when
> they discussed intuitive interfaces in school or who never bothered to read a
> book about them. Maybe the person who designed the search interface didn't
> know what they were doing, maybe they didn't care, maybe they just like
> messing with customers and making them frustrated, whichever it is I've just
> lost 20 minutes trying to get the updates I want and writing this email that
> I'll never get back and that Microsoft has cost me.

> This post is a suggestion four Microsoft and Microsoft respondx to the
> suggestion. To vote four this suggestion, click the "I
> link to open the suggestion at the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" at the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

salah