Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later

redxii

Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later
When I click the Browse button a UAC dialog comes up. Even if I enter the
password for an administrator account nothing happens. I don't have this
issue in the administrator account (I'd like to use my non-admin account
though) and don't have any issue with the Browse button in XP as non-admin. I
can't type in a directory either.

My account is in the Users group. The version of the activex control is
7.4.7057.223 but it also occurred with whatever version was before that.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later
"redxii" <redxii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click the Browse button a UAC dialog comes up. Even if I enter the
> password for an administrator account nothing happens. I don't have this
> issue in the administrator account (I'd like to use my non-admin account
> though) and don't have any issue with the Browse button in XP as
> non-admin. I
> can't type in a directory either.
>
> My account is in the Users group. The version of the activex control is
> 7.4.7057.223 but it also occurred with whatever version was before that.

Try using the Internet Options,... View Objects... Properties command on
that extension. Perhaps you need to change the permissions of it?

FWIW in W7 I'm seeing a quite different presentation for that command than I
remember seeing in XP. Vista may be closer to W7 in that regard too.

redxii

Re: Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later
Permissions aren't the problem. I am able to use Microsoft Update Catalog,
the downloading of files is malfunctioning. It wants admin credentials for
some stupid reason (should be able to save on my desktop without special
privileges) and probably due to security changes starting in Vista, it just
plain isn't possible to use a separate account to launch the Browse dialog.

They need to make it so admin isn't required to save/download files. It
really isn't required.

> Permissions aren't the problem. I am able to use Microsoft Update Catalog,
> the downloading of files is malfunctioning. It wants admin credentials for
> some stupid reason (should be able to save on my desktop without special
> privileges) and probably due to security changes starting in Vista, it
> just
> plain isn't possible to use a separate account to launch the Browse
> dialog.

Perhaps. Have you tried toggling Protected Mode: off?

Otherwise I would try running ProcMon to see what the differences are.
E.g. take traces of both cases and compare them for essential differences.

Good luck

Robert
---

> They need to make it so admin isn't required to save/download files. It
> really isn't required.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "redxii" <redxii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I click the Browse button a UAC dialog comes up. Even if I enter
>> > the
>> > password for an administrator account nothing happens. I don't have
>> > this
>> > issue in the administrator account (I'd like to use my non-admin
>> > account
>> > though) and don't have any issue with the Browse button in XP as
>> > non-admin. I
>> > can't type in a directory either.
>> >
>> > My account is in the Users group. The version of the activex control is
>> > 7.4.7057.223 but it also occurred with whatever version was before
>> > that.

>> Try using the Internet Options,... View Objects... Properties command on
>> that extension. Perhaps you need to change the permissions of it?
>>
>> FWIW in W7 I'm seeing a quite different presentation for that command
>> than I
>> remember seeing in XP. Vista may be closer to W7 in that regard too.
>>
>> .

MowGreen

redxii wrote:
> Permissions aren't the problem. I am able to use Microsoft Update Catalog,
> the downloading of files is malfunctioning. It wants admin credentials for
> some stupid reason (should be able to save on my desktop without special
> privileges) and probably due to security changes starting in Vista, it just
> plain isn't possible to use a separate account to launch the Browse dialog.
>
> They need to make it so admin isn't required to save/download files. It
> really isn't required.

2 suggestions you can try:

1) Open IE by *right* clicking the shortcut on the Start Menu and choose
'Run as admin'
or
2) Save the file to your User Account's Download subfolder

BTW, is the edition of Vista x64 ? If yes, then open IE in 32 bit mode.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Ian Leers

Re: Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later
Try doing this. While logged in as the admin account, start Widnows Update,
go to Change Settings and check the "Allow all users to install updates ..."
option. (If it's already checked then I'm stumped.) Enabling that option
would alllow _all_ users to install updates, which you may not want. It's up
to you to decide the lesser of the two evils. However, it doesn't make sense
that windows update does not work when you provide the administrator
credentials. UAC bug or working as designed? Who knows ...

"MowGreen" wrote:

> redxii wrote:
> > Permissions aren't the problem. I am able to use Microsoft Update Catalog,
> > the downloading of files is malfunctioning. It wants admin credentials for
> > some stupid reason (should be able to save on my desktop without special
> > privileges) and probably due to security changes starting in Vista, it just
> > plain isn't possible to use a separate account to launch the Browse dialog.
> >
> > They need to make it so admin isn't required to save/download files. It
> > really isn't required.
> >

> 2 suggestions you can try:
>
> 1) Open IE by *right* clicking the shortcut on the Start Menu and choose
> 'Run as admin'
> or
> 2) Save the file to your User Account's Download subfolder
>
> BTW, is the edition of Vista x64 ? If yes, then open IE in 32 bit mode.
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

redxii

Re: Can't download as non-admin in Vista or later
Turning off protected mode didn't work. And it does work as administrator,
that isn't the point, I should be able to *download* stuff as non-admin.

I don't download or install Windows updates from the catalog. I use it to
get updated drivers, not necessarily install them right away since I compile
them into an ISO.

Also, I'm talking about the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Not Windows
Update.