Update confusion with Office 2007 converter

sweeneysmsm

Update confusion with Office 2007 converter
On my desktop I have Office 2003 (laptop has Office 2007). I recently
received an attachment in .docx format (2007). I downloaded the converter to
my desktop and opened the document. Now on my desktop (which has Office 2003)
I receive update notices for Office 2007. Should I ignore these? Hide them?
Install them? Will I still be notified re updates needed for Office 2003?

Thank you for whatever insight you can provide. If you can give me some of
the background explanation as to why this is happening (I presume related to
the 2007 converter viewer install), I can understand better why I have to do
what I need to do and can pass on the info to others who may experience the
same issue.

MowGreen

Re: Update confusion with Office 2007 converter
sweeneysmsm wrote:

> On my desktop I have Office 2003 (laptop has Office 2007). I recently
> received an attachment in .docx format (2007). I downloaded the converter to
> my desktop and opened the document. Now on my desktop (which has Office 2003)
> I receive update notices for Office 2007. Should I ignore these? Hide them?
> Install them? Will I still be notified re updates needed for Office 2003?
>
> Thank you for whatever insight you can provide. If you can give me some of
> the background explanation as to why this is happening (I presume related to
> the 2007 converter viewer install), I can understand better why I have to do
> what I need to do and can pass on the info to others who may experience the
> same issue.

I know it's confusing but this is the Microsoft Update Catalog newsgroup
which deals with requests and feedback for the MU Catalog, not Windows
updating issues. The Windows Update newsgroup is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

Are you referring to the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word,
Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats ?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-c6bb74cd1466

If yes, then the updates for Office 2007 are to be expected and yes,
Office 2003 will be offered it's own updates if the system has been
opted into the Microsoft Update site. It 'sounds' like it has.

" By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office
2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and
save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007. "

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
sweeneysmsm

Re: Update confusion with Office 2007 converter
Thank you so much for the clarification. I will post there. Though I now know
that the 2007 updates are "to be expected", I want to know whether or not to
install them.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> sweeneysmsm wrote:
>
> > On my desktop I have Office 2003 (laptop has Office 2007). I recently
> > received an attachment in .docx format (2007). I downloaded the converter to
> > my desktop and opened the document. Now on my desktop (which has Office 2003)
> > I receive update notices for Office 2007. Should I ignore these? Hide them?
> > Install them? Will I still be notified re updates needed for Office 2003?
> >
> > Thank you for whatever insight you can provide. If you can give me some of
> > the background explanation as to why this is happening (I presume related to
> > the 2007 converter viewer install), I can understand better why I have to do
> > what I need to do and can pass on the info to others who may experience the
> > same issue.
> >

> I know it's confusing but this is the Microsoft Update Catalog newsgroup
> which deals with requests and feedback for the MU Catalog, not Windows
> updating issues. The Windows Update newsgroup is here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> Are you referring to the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word,
> Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats ?
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-c6bb74cd1466
>
> If yes, then the updates for Office 2007 are to be expected and yes,
> Office 2003 will be offered it's own updates if the system has been
> opted into the Microsoft Update site. It 'sounds' like it has.
>
> " By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office
> 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and
> save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007. "
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
> .

MowGreen

Re: Update confusion with Office 2007 converter
If the system is opted into Microsoft Update then yes, install them.
They would not be offered if they were detected as *not* being needed.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten