Backup Of Windows 7 Update Files, Possible?

Phirax

Backup Of Windows 7 Update Files, Possible?
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me with finding a way to backup
(if possible) files downloaded off Windows update for Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I
have a very slow net connection and a tiny amount of download/upload quota.
I've googled without any success except for someone mentioning
"C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download". However in my case there is only
a few mb's of data within that folder (checked as admin via cmd including
system hidden files). I intend to format my computer on a regular basis
(habit I've had since Win 95), because I always notice a progressive slowdown
of windows over time, and I also do regular hardware upgrades. Not to mention
I have 4 computers currently running Win7 (all same versions), so that
increases what I have to download 4 fold.
Many thanks in advance.
MowGreen

Re: Backup Of Windows 7 Update Files, Possible?
Windows 7 (and Vista) update differently than previous Windows editions.
They downloaded updates can *not* be reused in 7/Vista because they come
down as packages that compromise the updates. Component Based Servicing
is the mechanism that installs them, stores previous versions of files,
etc. That mechanism did not exist prior to Vista.
So, the only way you can reuse updates is to manually download them from
either the MS Download Center or the Microsoft Update Catalog and save
them for future use.
Sorry, but that's the way updating Vista/7 goes nowadays.

Microsoft Update Catalog
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Microsoft Download Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"