WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP

David Dickinson

WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP
I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is reserved
for testing. After installing that update, I could not log on to it in a
Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had frozen and could not even
be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and the hard drive light flashed in
a repeating pattern over several minutes. However, after restarting the
machine, I could log on to it locally. After uninstalling that update, RDP
sessions were successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP
sessions failed. After uninstalling, they worked.

Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified Microsoft
about the issue, but the help that is available at this time told me that
Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and I have to wait until
normal business hours tomorrow to contact them.

I haven't yet tested this update on other versions of Windows, but I hope no
adminstrators have large networks using automatic updates. I'm just hoping
that this isn't the disaster that it could be.

David ****inson
eveningstar at mvps dot org

NOTE: This message has been cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,
microsoft.public.security, microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog, and
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin.

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP
See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947

and/or 1-866-234-6020 in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that
are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that
your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number
(e.g., KB999999).

Or you can...

Consumer Security Support home page

your usual support contacts.

David ****inson wrote:
> I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is
> reserved
> for testing. After installing that update, I could not log on to it in a
> Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had frozen and could not
> even
> be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and the hard drive light flashed
> in
> a repeating pattern over several minutes. However, after restarting the
> machine, I could log on to it locally. After uninstalling that update,
> RDP
> sessions were successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP
> sessions failed. After uninstalling, they worked.
>
> Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified Microsoft
> about the issue, but the help that is available at this time told me that
> Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and I have to wait until
> normal business hours tomorrow to contact them...

David Dickinson

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP
Thanks, but as I said, I've already contacted Microsoft about it. I've got
a support request number and everything. But since the Enterprise group
only works during daylight, I have to wait until then to contact them...

....which strikes me as strange. Home users can get help 24/7. But if
you've got a problem that could affect thousands of computers, your problem
has to wait.

David

> See the "How to obtain help" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> and/or 1-866-234-6020 in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
> your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls
> that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state
> that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB
> number (e.g., KB999999).
>
> Or you can...

> Consumer Security Support home page
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> David ****inson wrote:
>> I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is
>> reserved
>> for testing. After installing that update, I could not log on to it in a
>> Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had frozen and could not
>> even
>> be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and the hard drive light flashed
>> in
>> a repeating pattern over several minutes. However, after restarting the
>> machine, I could log on to it locally. After uninstalling that update,
>> RDP
>> sessions were successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP
>> sessions failed. After uninstalling, they worked.
>>
>> Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified Microsoft
>> about the issue, but the help that is available at this time told me that
>> Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and I have to wait until
>> normal business hours tomorrow to contact them...

tommydokc

RE: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
we're having the exact same problems here on several machines. I've had to
boot to safe mode to get it uninstalled then everything is back to normal. I
would advise to disable the download of that update at this point.

"David ****inson" wrote:

> I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is reserved
> for testing. After installing that update, I could not log on to it in a
> Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had frozen and could not even
> be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and the hard drive light flashed in
> a repeating pattern over several minutes. However, after restarting the
> machine, I could log on to it locally. After uninstalling that update, RDP
> sessions were successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP
> sessions failed. After uninstalling, they worked.
>
> Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified Microsoft
> about the issue, but the help that is available at this time told me that
> Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and I have to wait until
> normal business hours tomorrow to contact them.
>
> I haven't yet tested this update on other versions of Windows, but I hope no
> adminstrators have large networks using automatic updates. I'm just hoping
> that this isn't the disaster that it could be.
>
> David ****inson
> eveningstar at mvps dot org
>
> NOTE: This message has been cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,
> microsoft.public.security, microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog, and
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin.
>
> .

Susan Bradley

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio

Not repro-ing that here.

XP sp3

tommydokc wrote:
> we're having the exact same problems here on several machines. I've had to
> boot to safe mode to get it uninstalled then everything is back to normal. I
> would advise to disable the download of that update at this point.
>

> "David ****inson" wrote:
>
>> I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is reserved
>> for testing. After installing that update, I could not log on to it in a
>> Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had frozen and could not even
>> be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and the hard drive light flashed in
>> a repeating pattern over several minutes. However, after restarting the
>> machine, I could log on to it locally. After uninstalling that update, RDP
>> sessions were successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP
>> sessions failed. After uninstalling, they worked.
>>
>> Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified Microsoft
>> about the issue, but the help that is available at this time told me that
>> Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and I have to wait until
>> normal business hours tomorrow to contact them.
>>
>> I haven't yet tested this update on other versions of Windows, but I hope no
>> adminstrators have large networks using automatic updates. I'm just hoping
>> that this isn't the disaster that it could be.
>>
>> David ****inson
>> eveningstar at mvps dot org
>>
>> NOTE: This message has been cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,
>> microsoft.public.security, microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog, and
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin.
>>
>> .

Susan Bradley

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
Second machine tested. Can't repro on second box.

Susan Bradley wrote:

> Not repro-ing that here.
>
> XP sp3
>
> tommydokc wrote:
>> we're having the exact same problems here on several machines. I've
>> had to boot to safe mode to get it uninstalled then everything is back
>> to normal. I would advise to disable the download of that update at
>> this point.
>>

>> "David ****inson" wrote:
>>
>>> I tested KB969947 on a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine that is
>>> reserved for testing. After installing that update, I could not log
>>> on to it in a Remote Desktop session. In fact, the machine had
>>> frozen and could not even be accessed with its keyboard or mouse, and
>>> the hard drive light flashed in a repeating pattern over several
>>> minutes. However, after restarting the machine, I could log on to it
>>> locally. After uninstalling that update, RDP sessions were
>>> successful. I reinstalled it and tested again, and RDP sessions
>>> failed. After uninstalling, they worked.
>>>
>>> Test this update thoroughly before deploying it! I've notified
>>> Microsoft about the issue, but the help that is available at this
>>> time told me that Microsoft Enterprise will have to deal with it, and
>>> I have to wait until normal business hours tomorrow to contact them.
>>>
>>> I haven't yet tested this update on other versions of Windows, but I
>>> hope no adminstrators have large networks using automatic updates.
>>> I'm just hoping that this isn't the disaster that it could be.
>>>
>>> David ****inson
>>> eveningstar at mvps dot org
>>>
>>> NOTE: This message has been cross-posted to
>>> microsoft.public.windowsupdate, microsoft.public.security,
>>> microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog, and
>>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin.
>>> .

David Dickinson

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
I have two XP Pro SP3 test machines. One has the problem, the other
doesn't. I haven't been able to isolate the cause yet. The machines have
significant differences in their configurations, so it will take some time.

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Second machine tested. Can't repro on second box.
>
> Susan Bradley wrote:
>>
>> Not repro-ing that here.
>>
>> XP sp3
>>
>> tommydokc wrote:
>>> we're having the exact same problems here on several machines. I've had
>>> to boot to safe mode to get it uninstalled then everything is back to
>>> normal. I would advise to disable the download of that update at this
>>> point.

Susan Bradley

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
Recently I had an issue post .net patch that I could not RDP. It was
due to the monitor card software interaction with 951847.

Look in your event log on the workstations and see if you are getting
that error.

After the install of KB951847 (.net family) I found I could not rdp into
a XP workstation. Updating the driver didn't work but putting in the
registry key did:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\Memory Management]

"SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020

Brad Rutkowski's Blog : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load:
http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkow...d-to-load.aspx

David ****inson wrote:
> I have two XP Pro SP3 test machines. One has the problem, the other
> doesn't. I haven't been able to isolate the cause yet. The machines
> have significant differences in their configurations, so it will take
> some time.
>

> "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Second machine tested. Can't repro on second box.
>>
>> Susan Bradley wrote:
>>>
>>> Not repro-ing that here.
>>>
>>> XP sp3

David Dickinson

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
I had considered display driver problems, but that's not it. With 969947
installed, the machine freezes during RDP logon. Without 969947, the
machine works fine. There are absolutely not messages in the event log
relating to this issue. The security log doesn't even show the normal logon
attempt messages. As soon as I enter the password to logon in a remote
desktop session, the machine freezes.

> Recently I had an issue post .net patch that I could not RDP. It was due
> to the monitor card software interaction with 951847.
>
> Look in your event log on the workstations and see if you are getting that
> error.
>
> After the install of KB951847 (.net family) I found I could not rdp into a
> XP workstation. Updating the driver didn't work but putting in the
> registry key did:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\Memory Management]
>
> "SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020
>

> Brad Rutkowski's Blog : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load:
> http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkow...d-to-load.aspx
>
> David ****inson wrote:
>> I have two XP Pro SP3 test machines. One has the problem, the other
>> doesn't. I haven't been able to isolate the cause yet. The machines
>> have significant differences in their configurations, so it will take
>> some time.
>>

>> "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Second machine tested. Can't repro on second box.

Susan Bradley

Re: WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP sessio
You said you had a case open right? If not ping me and I'll get you
one. Can you let me know what they say?