Patching a non-networked computer

Trevor Stynes

Patching a non-networked computer
We have a desktop computer at our corporate office that, for security
reasons, cannot be networked yet we somehow have to keep it patched with the
latest updates. It is in a secure location and is only accessible by
specific personnel with security clearances.

I went into the Update Catalog online to see if I could download the
executables to a CD, DVD or memory stick. I need all te updates that were
ever released since a specific date. Can this be done? How might I go about
achieving this?

Also, can we set up some kind of agreement with Microsoft that they would
send us a CD or email with any new patches so that we could install them on
this computer?
MowGreen

Re: Patching a non-networked computer
Trevor Stynes wrote:

> We have a desktop computer at our corporate office that, for security
> reasons, cannot be networked yet we somehow have to keep it patched with the
> latest updates. It is in a secure location and is only accessible by
> specific personnel with security clearances.
>
> I went into the Update Catalog online to see if I could download the
> executables to a CD, DVD or memory stick. I need all te updates that were
> ever released since a specific date. Can this be done? How might I go about
> achieving this?
>
> Also, can we set up some kind of agreement with Microsoft that they would
> send us a CD or email with any new patches so that we could install them on
> this computer?

Trevor,

Since the system is kept in a secure location and it's not networked, is
there a legal reason for why it must be updated ? According to that
scenario, it's not at risk regardless of which updates have been or have
not been installed. If there is a legal or other reason why it needs to
be kept updated, read on ...

All monthly Security updates can obtained on an ISO image here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e... stype=s_basic

They should be listed in a descending order if the link functions
properly. If not, go here and enter Security ISO in the
" Search All Download Center " field:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

If you need a list of all updates available for the system:

2009 Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

2008 Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961825

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Paul Russell

Re: Patching a non-networked computer
Currently the MU catalog does not support that as criteria yet but you could
sort and select accordingly.

Mow's follow up shows you specific download center and technet areas for
now.

paul.