Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?

microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009
1sysadmin
 

Posts: n/a
MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?
Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?

I get:
We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""

I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009
mural
 

Posts: n/a
RE: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?


"1sysadmin" wrote:

> Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
>
> I get:
> We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
>
> I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?

"1sysadmin" <1sysadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2167BD94-258E-46DF-8538-9F4F251D2F7E@microsoft.com...
> Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
>
> I get:
> We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
>
> I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.



Looks like it only indexed a piece of it.

E.g. in your case you could search for:

ms08 IIS XP

At first I thought it was only indexing data from the Title and Description
field but obviously it must be taking stuff from the MSRC Number field too.

Maybe that dash isn't really a dash in that field? ; )

BTW why not search for the KB number?


---


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2009
shendrix
 

Posts: n/a
RE: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?
Hate to not have a solution to this in my reply, rather I am having the same
problem. It is an inconvenience to get the Security Bulletin Summary email,
research the Security Bulletin number, obtain the Knowledge Base article,
THEN begin downloading the updates through Update Catalog.

I am using IE8 on XP Pro SP3. 1sysadmin, this is no unique problem. I also
had a coworker (on a separate network) repeat the problem.

"1sysadmin" wrote:

> Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
>
> I get:
> We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
>
> I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2009
1sysadmin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?
"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>
> "1sysadmin" <1sysadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2167BD94-258E-46DF-8538-9F4F251D2F7E@microsoft.com...
> > Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
> >
> > I get:
> > We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
> >
> > I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.

>
>
> Looks like it only indexed a piece of it.
>
> E.g. in your case you could search for:
>
> ms08 IIS XP
>
> At first I thought it was only indexing data from the Title and Description
> field but obviously it must be taking stuff from the MSRC Number field too.
>
> Maybe that dash isn't really a dash in that field? ; )
>
> BTW why not search for the KB number?
>


Thanks for the alternative search suggestion. Up until 1 or 2 months ago
searching the security bulletin number worked. Hopefully Microsoft will fix
this. As shendrix wrote, it is an inconvenient & extra step to find the KB
number. In some cases (e.g. Oct. 2009) the bulletin number refers to multiple
KB numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2009
MowGreen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?
" Send us your feedback "
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...e/Support.aspx

Suggest you submit your feedback there for the MU Catalog.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"



1sysadmin wrote:

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>
>>"1sysadmin" <1sysadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2167BD94-258E-46DF-8538-9F4F251D2F7E@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
>>>
>>>I get:
>>>We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
>>>
>>>I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.

>>
>>
>>Looks like it only indexed a piece of it.
>>
>>E.g. in your case you could search for:
>>
>> ms08 IIS XP
>>
>>At first I thought it was only indexing data from the Title and Description
>>field but obviously it must be taking stuff from the MSRC Number field too.
>>
>>Maybe that dash isn't really a dash in that field? ; )
>>
>>BTW why not search for the KB number?
>>

>
>
> Thanks for the alternative search suggestion. Up until 1 or 2 months ago
> searching the security bulletin number worked. Hopefully Microsoft will fix
> this. As shendrix wrote, it is an inconvenient & extra step to find the KB
> number. In some cases (e.g. Oct. 2009) the bulletin number refers to multiple
> KB numbers.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2009
1sysadmin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS Update Catalog, security bulletins not searchable?
Thanks. I followed the link and chose "...emailing Microsoft Update Support."
The message was sent to mucatsu@microsoft.com and it bounced:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
This is the Postfix program at host mail71-va3-R.bigfish.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<mucatsu@microsoft.com>: host
winse-6216-mail2.customer.frontbridge.com[205.248.106.30] said: 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

"MowGreen" wrote:

> " Send us your feedback "
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...e/Support.aspx
>
> Suggest you submit your feedback there for the MU Catalog.
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>
>
>
> 1sysadmin wrote:
>
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>"1sysadmin" <1sysadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2167BD94-258E-46DF-8538-9F4F251D2F7E@microsoft.com...
> >>
> >>>Does MS Update Catalog no longer accept search strings such as ms08-006?
> >>>
> >>>I get:
> >>>We did not find any results for ""ms08-006""
> >>>
> >>>I'm using IE7 on WinXP SP3.
> >>
> >>
> >>Looks like it only indexed a piece of it.
> >>
> >>E.g. in your case you could search for:
> >>
> >> ms08 IIS XP
> >>
> >>At first I thought it was only indexing data from the Title and Description
> >>field but obviously it must be taking stuff from the MSRC Number field too.
> >>
> >>Maybe that dash isn't really a dash in that field? ; )
> >>
> >>BTW why not search for the KB number?
> >>

> >
> >
> > Thanks for the alternative search suggestion. Up until 1 or 2 months ago
> > searching the security bulletin number worked. Hopefully Microsoft will fix
> > this. As shendrix wrote, it is an inconvenient & extra step to find the KB
> > number. In some cases (e.g. Oct. 2009) the bulletin number refers to multiple
> > KB numbers.

> .
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why doens't ATI post new drivers to Windows Update/ Update Catalog md microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 14 09-23-2008 21:31
Security World: Microsoft prepares two security bulletins Steve Security News 0 01-04-2008 14:20
Security World: Analysis of Microsoft's October security bulletins Steve Security News 0 10-11-2007 17:10
Security World: Microsoft releases four critical security bulletins Steve Security News 0 10-09-2007 23:00
Security World: Microsoft releases 7 critical security bulletins Steve Security News 0 05-08-2007 20:47




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120