Updating without internet

red_wolf41

Updating without internet
I moved at the begining of summer, but I still want to keep my computer up to
date. Unfortunately, I dont have internet connected to it anymore. Is there
any way I can continue to update it even though I dont have internet?
TaurArian

Re: Updating without internet
red_wolf41 wrote:
:: I moved at the begining of summer, but I still want to keep my
:: computer up to date. Unfortunately, I dont have internet connected
:: to it anymore. Is there any way I can continue to update it even
:: though I dont have internet?

Not unless you get a friend to send you the update regularly.

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 CD image files from the Microsoft
Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

You can also download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be
installed later.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Click Add button for each update you want to download. Once you have what
you want, Click the "Go To Download Basket" link. Type in or browse to the
location where you want the updates saved to and then Click the "Download
Now" button.
Once downloaded, you can then burn them to CD.

How to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog or from
the Microsoft Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

Other links which may be of interest:

Search for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

For security and other patches released for a given month :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms##-***.mspx
Replace ## with the two-digit year
Replace *** with the three character month abbreviation

Providing there are releases for that month, you will see the list of
"critical" "important" patches for that month
Check on the 2nd Tuesday of each month - later in the day.

For just the current listing:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

IZ5MSM - McGrull

Re: Updating without internet
Ok, but if I want to download patch starting a previous SP, for
example all patches since SP3 to yesterday... How i can search them?

Robert Aldwinckle

"IZ5MSM - McGrull" <ungrullo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:53a338b2-482c-4a22-830b-80d556088fd8@p36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
> Ok, but if I want to download patch starting a previous SP, for
> example all patches since SP3 to yesterday... How i can search them?

Make a list using either the MBSA (installed and updated on the target
machine via sneakernet) or the TechNet Security Bulletin Search tool.
Then (as TaurArian mentioned) download individual updates from the catalog.

I imagine it would also be possible to exploit the MBSA programmatically
but I don't know if anybody has tried doing that. E.g. do something along
the lines of transferring (sneakernet) the MBSA list to a machine
that has Internet access; either build a script based on the list
or run a script which uses it to do the downloads; then transfer
(sneakernet) the downloads back to the unconnected machine.
Then perhaps have another script which does the installs,
again based on the original list.

OTOH another simpler possibility I think could be to use WSUS
and connect your WSUS server (temporarily) to the otherwise
unconnected machine. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

IZ5MSM - McGrull

Re: Updating without internet

> Make a list using either the MBSA (installed and updated on the target
> machine via sneakernet) or the *TechNet Security Bulletin Search tool.
> Then (as TaurArian mentioned) download individual updates from the catalog.

So there isn't a way to massive download the updates.
The new catalog had a great function like the download cart basket,
but is useless without a valid search criteria, to cast various
updates..
For now, is only a big listing....

> OTOH another simpler possibility I think could be to use *WSUS
> and connect your WSUS server (temporarily) to the otherwise
> unconnected machine. *; )

Yes, but unfortunately, there in italy, there are some land, without
internet connection.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Updating without internet

"IZ5MSM - McGrull" <ungrullo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:24bf56a9-c5bc-460b-b505-c86c5f244189@f10g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...

Please figure out how to make Google Groups stop using Quoted Printable
(E.g. post in plain text instead of HTML, if that is what you are doing,)

>> OTOH another simpler possibility I think could be to use WSUS
>> and connect your WSUS server (temporarily) to the otherwise
>> unconnected machine. ; )

>Yes, but unfortunately, there in italy, there are some land, without

internet connection.

How are you going to get the downloads to them?
Is there more than one machine at that location?
Are those machines already networked?
The point is having a LAN does not necessarily imply
having an Internet connection. The WSUS server
could be on the LAN or even just a suitably equipped laptop
that you connect with by some kind of direct physical connection
such as a null modem.

HTH

Robert
---

IZ5MSM - McGrull

Re: Updating without internet

> How are you going to get the downloads to them?

From my office that isn't the lan that i need to update.

> Is there more than one machine at that location?
> Are those machines already networked?
> The point is having a LAN does not necessarily imply
> having an Internet connection.

Sure. In my case the lan to be updated is another the mine.

>* The WSUS server
> could be on the LAN or even just a suitably equipped laptop
> that you connect with by some kind of direct physical connection
> such as a null modem.

But is a useless solution.

Having a catalog where to download many updates, if this catalog can
be filterd with a suitable criteria, like os and service pack, next
you could download the necessary fix and update, starting a release.

For now, the catalog, is useless...