Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems

EddieV

Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems
Hi I wrote a post two days ago and some how lost it. I can't use windows
update, a friend tried to correct the problem with no luck. I reciee error
code 0x80070246 It seems as though it has downloaded other updates but it
will not down load IE8.

I tried the one step "fix it" on the Micro soft site with no luck. I down
loaded the widows live onecare safety scanner and when I ran it I received
the error code 0x0c600c03

Any idea I'm going nuts here.
Thanks, EddieV
TaurArian

Re: Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems
EddieV wrote:
:: Hi I wrote a post two days ago and some how lost it. I can't use
:: windows update, a friend tried to correct the problem with no luck.
:: I reciee error code 0x80070246 It seems as though it has downloaded
:: other updates but it will not down load IE8.
::
:: I tried the one step "fix it" on the Micro soft site with no luck.
:: I down loaded the widows live onecare safety scanner and when I ran
:: it I received the error code 0x0c600c03
::
:: Any idea I'm going nuts here.
:: Thanks, EddieV

You failed to mention what Operating System you were running including SP
level.

I'll assume Vista -

0x80070246 ERROR_ILLEGAL_CHARACTER An invalid character was encountered.

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

For the Livecare problem:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/c...ty/default.htm
in particular:
http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/s...3&q=0x0c600c03

xposted to Windows Update NG.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

EddieV

Re: Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems
Hi, first off thank you for the help I do appreciate it. I have Windows Vista
32bit ver.2 I tried using one of the links you gave me. I downloaded the
Udate for windows KB94782 it was maked as downloaded and in Update area it
siad it was updated but i went to the update section of the securioty updates
and it states that this computer has no updates at all, now I am totally
confused.

It looks as though I can load all updates but IE 8 that will not update at
a all.

When I click on up date windows I still get the error code 80070490
any other ideas.
Thanks again, EddieV

"TaurArian" wrote:

> EddieV wrote:
> :: Hi I wrote a post two days ago and some how lost it. I can't use
> :: windows update, a friend tried to correct the problem with no luck.
> :: I reciee error code 0x80070246 It seems as though it has downloaded
> :: other updates but it will not down load IE8.
> ::
> :: I tried the one step "fix it" on the Micro soft site with no luck.
> :: I down loaded the widows live onecare safety scanner and when I ran
> :: it I received the error code 0x0c600c03
> ::
> :: Any idea I'm going nuts here.
> :: Thanks, EddieV
>
> You failed to mention what Operating System you were running including SP
> level.
>
> I'll assume Vista -
>
> 0x80070246 ERROR_ILLEGAL_CHARACTER An invalid character was encountered.
>
> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> For the Livecare problem:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/c...ty/default.htm
> in particular:
> http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/s...3&q=0x0c600c03
>
> xposted to Windows Update NG.
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

Re: Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems
Eddie, are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 right now?
(Right-click on My Computer | select Properties | Vista version will be
listed on the resulting General tab.)

You've not mentioned the 80070490 error before.

First, see...

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate, and for
Windows 7 Release Candidate:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If no joy, see...

How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008:
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...rver-2008.aspx

As a last resort, see...

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

EddieV wrote:
> Hi, first off thank you for the help I do appreciate it. I have Windows
> Vista 32bit ver.2 I tried using one of the links you gave me. I
> downloaded
> the Udate for windows KB94782 it was maked as downloaded and in Update
> area it siad it was updated but i went to the update section of the
> securioty updates and it states that this computer has no updates at all,
> now I am totally confused.
>
> It looks as though I can load all updates but IE 8 that will not update at
> a all.
>
> When I click on up date windows I still get the error code 80070490
> any other ideas.
> Thanks again, EddieV

>> You failed to mention what Operating System you were running including SP
>> level.
>>
>> I'll assume Vista -
>>
>> 0x80070246 ERROR_ILLEGAL_CHARACTER An invalid character was
>> encountered.
>>
>> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>>
>> For the Livecare problem:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/c...ty/default.htm
>> in particular:
>> http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/s...3&q=0x0c600c03
>>
>> xposted to Windows Update NG.
>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
>> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update & downloading IE8 Problems
0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
the OS.

PA Bear has already provided the links regarding this error code.

NB: If you've installed SP1 for Vista

Step 7 (method for Windows Vista), the *UPGRADE* option is not available
because SP1 has been installed.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

See: Uninstall SP1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

EddieV wrote:
:: Hi, first off thank you for the help I do appreciate it. I have
:: Windows Vista 32bit ver.2 I tried using one of the links you gave
:: me. I downloaded the Udate for windows KB94782 it was maked as
:: downloaded and in Update area it siad it was updated but i went to
:: the update section of the securioty updates and it states that this
:: computer has no updates at all, now I am totally confused.
::
:: It looks as though I can load all updates but IE 8 that will not
:: update at
:: a all.
::
:: When I click on up date windows I still get the error code 80070490
:: any other ideas.
:: Thanks again, EddieV
::
:: "TaurArian" wrote:
::
::: EddieV wrote:
::::: Hi I wrote a post two days ago and some how lost it. I can't use
::::: windows update, a friend tried to correct the problem with no
::::: luck. I reciee error code 0x80070246 It seems as though it has
::::: downloaded other updates but it will not down load IE8.
:::::
::::: I tried the one step "fix it" on the Micro soft site with no luck.
::::: I down loaded the widows live onecare safety scanner and when I
::::: ran it I received the error code 0x0c600c03
:::::
::::: Any idea I'm going nuts here.
::::: Thanks, EddieV
:::
::: You failed to mention what Operating System you were running
::: including SP level.
:::
::: I'll assume Vista -
:::
::: 0x80070246 ERROR_ILLEGAL_CHARACTER An invalid character was
::: encountered.
:::
::: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
:::
::: For the Livecare problem:
::: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/c...ty/default.htm