Cannot find KB957579 in the catalog

Ricky T

Cannot find KB957579 in the catalog
Hi all,
I have read http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/971888.mspx
The advisory references the following kb article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957579

There is an update to fix the DNS devoloution available to download on the
above kb, and also from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (XP version of the update).

I could not find KB957579 on my Wsus server, so I searched the catalog and
cannot locate it there.

Is there a reason that this update is not in the catalog?

Thanks,
Ricky
RickyT

Re: Cannot find KB957579 in the catalog
I just read this in the security advisory faq:
"Is this update distributed on Automatic Update?
No. These updates are not distributed over the Automatic Update mechanism.
The updates are only available from the Microsoft Download Center. Direct
links to the updates for specific affected software are listed in the
Affected Software table in the Overview section."

I did read something that suggested that it should be available, however I
can't find the link now. So please ignore my previous post!

"Ricky T" <Ricky T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have read http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/971888.mspx
> The advisory references the following kb article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957579
>
> There is an update to fix the DNS devoloution available to download on the
> above kb, and also from
> (XP version of the update).
>
> I could not find KB957579 on my Wsus server, so I searched the catalog and
> cannot locate it there.
>
> Is there a reason that this update is not in the catalog?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky

Sky King

Re: Cannot find KB957579 in the catalog
Hi;

Not sure I fully understand, but the download is available. Here is a link
for one version:

....Sky
====

"RickyT" <RickyT@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I just read this in the security advisory faq:
> "Is this update distributed on Automatic Update?
> No. These updates are not distributed over the Automatic Update mechanism.
> The updates are only available from the Microsoft Download Center. Direct
> links to the updates for specific affected software are listed in the
> Affected Software table in the Overview section."
>
> I did read something that suggested that it should be available, however I
> can't find the link now. So please ignore my previous post!
>

> "Ricky T" <Ricky T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I have read
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/971888.mspx
>> The advisory references the following kb article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957579
>>
>> There is an update to fix the DNS devoloution available to download on
>> the
>> above kb, and also from
>> (XP version of the update).
>>
>> I could not find KB957579 on my Wsus server, so I searched the catalog
>> and
>> cannot locate it there.
>>
>> Is there a reason that this update is not in the catalog?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ricky

Robert Aldwinckle

"Sky King" <skyking2@nospammvps.org> wrote in message news:OfWNdhqEKHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

>>> Is there a reason that this update is not in the catalog?

> Hi;
>
> Not sure I fully understand,

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...spx?q=KB957579

; )

I think the question should be what kind of update is the one that is wanted...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957579

The keywords in it are certainly confusing and contradictory:

<quote>
KB957579
</quote>

but there's an item in its FAQ section which sort of addresses those discrepancies:

<quote>
2.. Why is this not a bulletin?

Answer: Devolution is a critical behavior for customers who have clients
in a child namespace and resources in the parent namespace.
This update causes a change in this behavior. This update may cause
a problem accessing certain resources for some enterprises.
Network administrators are advised to carefully understand the change
and then deploy the update in a manner that makes sure that both
namespaces are safe and operational.
</quote>

So it sounds like it could be classified at least as an "optional update".
Here's what the catalog says about that.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Faq.aspx

<quote>
What types of software updates does Microsoft publish?

Microsoft offers important, recommended, and optional updates.
Important updates provide significant benefits,
such as improved security and reliability.
Optional updates might include, for example,
new or updated driver software for devices
that you have added to your computer.

The Microsoft Update Catalog now provides access to hotfixes.
Hotfixes are generally provided by Microsoft Customer Service & Support.

To see a list of the updates that Microsoft publishes
and definitions for each type of update,
refer to the Microsoft Help and Support Web site article,
Description of the standard terminology
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=22935
that is used to describe Microsoft software updates.
</quote>

My guess is that letting users download it from there would be thought
less likely to make them aware of the change of functionality that might
be possible by installing the update.

> but the download is available. Here is a link for one version:

which discounts my idea about making people aware of the change
in functionality. ; }

Any guesses? <eg>

Robert
---

Sky King

> "Sky King" <skyking2@nospammvps.org> wrote in message

>> Hi;
>>
>> Not sure I fully understand,

> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...spx?q=KB957579
>

> ; )
>

> I think the question should be what kind of update is the one that is
> wanted...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957579
>
> The keywords in it are certainly confusing and contradictory:
>
> <quote>
> kbsecurity kbsecvulnerability kbsurveynew kbregistry
> KB957579
> </quote>
>
> but there's an item in its FAQ section which sort of addresses those
> discrepancies:
>
> <quote>
> 2.. Why is this not a bulletin?
>
> Answer: Devolution is a critical behavior for customers who have
> clients
> in a child namespace and resources in the parent namespace.
> This update causes a change in this behavior. This update may cause
> a problem accessing certain resources for some enterprises.
> Network administrators are advised to carefully understand the change
> and then deploy the update in a manner that makes sure that both
> namespaces are safe and operational.
> </quote>
>

> So it sounds like it could be classified at least as an "optional update".
> Here's what the catalog says about that.
>
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Faq.aspx
>
> <quote>
> What types of software updates does Microsoft publish?
>
> Microsoft offers important, recommended, and optional updates.
> Important updates provide significant benefits,
> such as improved security and reliability.
> Optional updates might include, for example,
> new or updated driver software for devices
> that you have added to your computer.
>
> The Microsoft Update Catalog now provides access to hotfixes.
> Hotfixes are generally provided by Microsoft Customer Service & Support.
>
> To see a list of the updates that Microsoft publishes
> and definitions for each type of update,
> refer to the Microsoft Help and Support Web site article,
> Description of the standard terminology
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=22935
> that is used to describe Microsoft software updates.
> </quote>
>

> My guess is that letting users download it from there would be thought
> less likely to make them aware of the change of functionality that might
> be possible by installing the update.
>

>> but the download is available. Here is a link for one version:

> which discounts my idea about making people aware of the change
> in functionality. ; }
>
> Any guesses? <eg>

Not a one. Reading the associated KB article introduces more goobledy-gook
and techno-babble than I can take. <G>

....Sky