Cannot access Update Catalog website with IE8

Chaz6

Cannot access Update Catalog website with IE8
I am trying to access the URL
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...spx?q=kb951847 but
whenever I try I get redirected to
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...ks.aspx?id=120. I have
followed the instructions but this has made no difference. I have tried on
several different computers running Windows XP and IE8.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Cannot access Update Catalog website with IE8
"Chaz6" wrote in message news:EE5AD5F9-A9C3-4E5A-BA6E-76579F55EE85@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to access the URL
> Microsoft Update Catalog but

> whenever I try I get redirected to
> Microsoft Update Catalog. I have
> followed the instructions but this has made no difference.

To be clear though, what does that page tell you?
E.g. I suspect it may be a customized message about your browser
and knowing exactly what that message is might enable someone
to help you better.

The most common problem that causes your symptom is a bad
User-Agent string. So as a guess try going here and see if you
can change your symptom by changing your UAS:

Internet Explorer - User-Agent test and override registry scripts

> I have tried on
> several different computers running Windows XP and IE8.

The site wants you to download and install an ActiveX control to use it.
Are you getting that message in an Information bar too? You would
have to accept it before being able to continue.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Last edited by Paul : 08-13-2009 at 11:57.
Chaz6

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> To be clear though, what does that page tell you?
> E.g. I suspect it may be a customized message about your browser
> and knowing exactly what that message is might enable someone
> to help you better.

From http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/....aspx?id=120:-

To use this website, you browser must have the user data persistence setting
enabled.

To enable this, follow these steps:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools , then click Internet Options. Click the
Security tab, then click Custom Level. In the Settings dialog box, under the
Miscellaneous section, find Userdata persistence and click Enable. Click OK
twice to save and exit.

I have verified that the site is in the trusted sites zone of internet
explorer, and userdata persistence is enabled for the trusted sites zone.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Cannot access Update Catalog website with IE8
"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote in message news:O35Fxdk3JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

Chaz6,

Now you can respond to my second comment. ; )

> The site wants you to download and install an ActiveX control to use it.
> Are you getting that message in an Information bar too? You would
> have to accept it before being able to continue.

And if you're not getting that Information bar but you do have
a copy of the control already installed I would try removing it.

Hmm... it is only showing up for me under View Objects...
I thought it would also appear under Manage Add-ons
but perhaps not.

Oops. It *is* available under Manage Add-ons. I just had to
use Show: Downloaded controls. Who knew?
And the reason I keep getting prompted and have to allow it
every time apparently is that I disabled it once (perhaps from
an application of RIES?) and never re-enabled it.
So thanks for that bit of serendipity. ; )

Robert
---

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote in message news:O35Fxdk3JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>

> Chaz6,
>

> Now you can respond to my second comment. ; )

Oops, I should have said, the redirection occurs before any content has time
to load, so at no point is there any prompt to load an ActiveX control.

> And if you're not getting that Information bar but you do have
> a copy of the control already installed I would try removing it.
>
> Hmm... it is only showing up for me under View Objects...
> I thought it would also appear under Manage Add-ons
> but perhaps not.
>
> Oops. It *is* available under Manage Add-ons. I just had to
> use Show: Downloaded controls. Who knew?
> And the reason I keep getting prompted and have to allow it
> every time apparently is that I disabled it once (perhaps from
> an application of RIES?) and never re-enabled it.
> So thanks for that bit of serendipity. ; )

Thanks for this info, but unfortunately it does not seem to help here!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by Paul : 08-13-2009 at 11:58.
Shawn

Re: Cannot access Update Catalog website with IE8
Disable "Memory Protection" under the Security heading in Advanced Options of
Internet Options.