MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding

grotonlibrary

MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
Since about the January round of Microsoft Update patches, I've had several
machines that stop responding at the point that the MSRT runs. I've left them
to run for as long as an hour, and the MSRT never completes. Sometimes I can
cancel the updates, other times I have to power off the machines. After
rebooting and returning to the Microsoft Updates site, I can sucessfully
continue to install any remaining patches, and the MSRT does not try to run
again. When this starts, if I look under the Processes tab in Task Manager,
the System process is running, without wavering, at exactly 50 percent.

These computers all run XP Pro SP3. They are all various models of Dell
Optiplex ranging in age from one to 10 years. Out of my network of around 50
computers, only about a dozen exhibit this behavior.

--
Jeffrey Pike
Technology Services Librarian
grotonlibrary

RE: MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
Sorry, maybe this should have been posted on the Windows Update board. If it
can be moved, feel free to move it, whoever can.