GenuineCheck for Win2k

Laurie

GenuineCheck for Win2k
Hi folks
Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this query, but as there
is no "Windows Update" section for Win2K anymore, this is my nexr best shot.

Running Windows 2000 SP4 with GeForce FX5500. Etrust Vet Antivirus and
AShampoo firewall
Clicked on Windows 5.7 script Update for Win 2000 but had to downloaded
GenuineCheck.exe and incurred an error "GenuineCheck.exe is not a valid Win32
application"
I later attemped the online validation for this valid system but got:
"It appears that you are using an operating system that is not currently
supported by the validation process. Only the following operating systems are
currently supported

"Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Starter Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Windows Vista "

Previous versions of GenuineCheck used to work on this machine; does anyone
happen to have have one of those on hand?
Or, failing that, perhaps a hassle free Windows 5.7 script Update?

Thanks for assisting
Laurie
--
Upon a click and a prayer
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
Laurie wrote:

> Hi folks
> Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this query, but as there
> is no "Windows Update" section for Win2K anymore, this is my nexr best shot.
>
> Running Windows 2000 SP4 with GeForce FX5500. Etrust Vet Antivirus and
> AShampoo firewall
> Clicked on Windows 5.7 script Update for Win 2000 but had to downloaded
> GenuineCheck.exe and incurred an error "GenuineCheck.exe is not a valid Win32
> application"
> I later attemped the online validation for this valid system but got:
> "It appears that you are using an operating system that is not currently
> supported by the validation process. Only the following operating systems are
> currently supported
>
> "Windows XP Home Edition
> Windows XP Professional
> Windows XP Starter Edition
> Windows XP Media Center Edition
> Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
> Windows Vista "
>
> Previous versions of GenuineCheck used to work on this machine; does anyone
> happen to have have one of those on hand?
> Or, failing that, perhaps a hassle free Windows 5.7 script Update?
>
> Thanks for assisting
> Laurie

Did the 'GenuineCheck' work with the currently installed firewall or was
another one being used at the time ?

From:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...cc29462#ID0EGD

" Windows validation
Q: Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
particular versions of Windows?

A: Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
Download Center. It is also required by the Windows Update service for
users of Windows XP including Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional
and Windows XP Media Center Edition. All users can access security
updates via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows
Vista, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows downloads
are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows NT
4.0 with Service Pack 2, and earlier), or non-Microsoft operating systems. "

That clears things up ... NOT. <w>
This page states:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/Pro...c-dae806202ffc

" Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) for Windows Vista

Validation helps confirm that a copy of Windows Vista is activated and
properly licensed. Users may be asked to validate their copy of Windows
when they download content that is reserved for users of genuine Windows
from the Microsoft Download Center. "

So, either Vista can download without Validation as stated in the prior
section or, the system must pass Validation in order to download from
the MS Download Center, as stated in the latter section.
Wouldn't it be nice if MS would post some *clear, concise* explanation
instead of posting confusing info ?

Since there is no Windows 2000 Validation forum here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...=125&SiteID=25
one would *assume* that there is NO Validation process for Win2K.
We all know what *assuming* can result in when dealing with MS <w>

Go here and see if the system is required to Valdiate before downloading
Windows Script 5.7:

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Laurie

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
Hi Movgreen,
No, I have only been using a firewall as of 2 weeks ago.
The previous version of Genuinecheck that worked early last year did have a
different byte size, however.
The link you provide for the Windows Script Update is the one I had trouble
with, However, I procured a copy of the update at Macropool via Google, which
didn't require validation, and ran without error.
I have the strange feeling these days (do you too?) that Microsoft are not
employing a huge amount of resources for the upkeep of Win2k systems. I must
say I have had a pretty good run, being a user since first release, but now
unlikely to upgrade until either a head crash or the monetary exchange rate
with the US improves.
To be consistent with user upgrades of other Microsoft products, they might
consider offering a graded discount based on what sytem one is upgrading from.
Such an arrangement may obviate the need to bind users to continual, and
somewhat inconvenient vaildation procedures. Anyway, how many systems out
there aren't valid anyway? I can assure you that if I procured an
off-the-back-of-a-truck OS hacked through by some disgruntled ex-affiliate of
Microsoft, life is going to be a fairly time-consuming process continually
keeping the computer and applications up-to-date and running smoothly.
Kind Regards,
Laurie

--
Upon a click and a prayer

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> Validation helps confirm that a copy of Windows Vista is activated and
> properly licensed. Users may be asked to validate their copy of Windows
> when they download content that is reserved for users of genuine Windows
> from the Microsoft Download Center. "
>
> So, either Vista can download without Validation as stated in the prior
> section or, the system must pass Validation in order to download from
> the MS Download Center, as stated in the latter section.
> Wouldn't it be nice if MS would post some *clear, concise* explanation
> instead of posting confusing info ?
>
> Since there is no Windows 2000 Validation forum here:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...=125&SiteID=25
> one would *assume* that there is NO Validation process for Win2K.
> We all know what *assuming* can result in when dealing with MS <w>
>

> Go here and see if the system is required to Valdiate before downloading

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
Howdy Laurie ... MS has kept support alive for Win2K because businesses
are still running it. Reliability and performance updates are no longer
offered up at Windows Update for Win2K but, Security updates are still
coming out for it. So it's still in Extended Support.
After trying to decipher MS info, I found this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/...ecycle&c1=509&
It appears that Win2K SP4 Extended Support ends 13/07/2010.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071

As to MS pricing, upgrades are less costly then clean installs but I'm
not sure about the upgrade path ... i.e. whether Win2K is still one.
Possibly so because business still employs it and we know MS likes to
keep businesses happy.

As to validation ... don't get me started. It's my view that a system
should not be continually questioned as to it's authenticity.

I was under the impression that Win2K did not need to do the validation
dance in order for one to obtain Windows Script.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

" Q: Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
particular versions of Windows?

A: Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
Download Center. It is also required by the Windows Update service for
users of Windows XP including Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional
and Windows XP Media Center Edition. All users can access security
updates via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows
Vista, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. <snip>"

Perhaps I have a reading comprehension issue. The above paragraph taken
from the FAQ on the Genuine Microsoft Software page states that
validation is required at the MS Download Center. It goes on to state
that " Genuine downloads are available, without validation ... " and
shows Windows 2000 as one of the OS' listed.
Am I missing something or is that not confusing ?

Windows Update still shows Win2K SP4 as being supported -

" Which operating systems does Windows Update support?
Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 Ongoing

Checked the Microsoft Update Catalog and I could not find any version of
Windows Script for Win2K.
So, color me confused as one could never access Windows Update if
Windows Script were damaged or corrupted and one needed to reinstall it.
Then the system would have to pass validation at the Download Center in
order to obtain Windows Script.

So, that makes MS' statement on High Priority updates being available
via Windows Update for Win2K incorrect if the above situation exists and
the system can not pass validation.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Laurie wrote:

> Hi Movgreen,
> No, I have only been using a firewall as of 2 weeks ago.
> The previous version of Genuinecheck that worked early last year did have a
> different byte size, however.
> The link you provide for the Windows Script Update is the one I had trouble
> with, However, I procured a copy of the update at Macropool via Google, which
> didn't require validation, and ran without error.
> I have the strange feeling these days (do you too?) that Microsoft are not
> employing a huge amount of resources for the upkeep of Win2k systems. I must
> say I have had a pretty good run, being a user since first release, but now
> unlikely to upgrade until either a head crash or the monetary exchange rate
> with the US improves.
> To be consistent with user upgrades of other Microsoft products, they might
> consider offering a graded discount based on what sytem one is upgrading from.
> Such an arrangement may obviate the need to bind users to continual, and
> somewhat inconvenient vaildation procedures. Anyway, how many systems out
> there aren't valid anyway? I can assure you that if I procured an
> off-the-back-of-a-truck OS hacked through by some disgruntled ex-affiliate of
> Microsoft, life is going to be a fairly time-consuming process continually
> keeping the computer and applications up-to-date and running smoothly.
> Kind Regards,
> Laurie

Dave Warren

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
In message <#K4f5jWiJHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "MowGreen [MVP]"
<mowgreen@nowandzen.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I was under the impression that Win2K did not need to do the validation
>dance in order for one to obtain Windows Script.
>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

I happened to be downloading something for a W2K machine a few days ago,
from Firefox I did get a genuine activation request and was not able to
pass, but from IE the download page contained a direct download URL
without even asking about activation.

In other words, to anyone having problems, make sure you're using IE on
the W2K machine itself, if you're using another browser (or a
Vista/XP/other machine) to obtain the download you may have problems.
Stefan Kanthak

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote:

> In message <#K4f5jWiJHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "MowGreen [MVP]"
> <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>I was under the impression that Win2K did not need to do the validation
>>dance in order for one to obtain Windows Script.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

> I happened to be downloading something for a W2K machine a few days ago,
> from Firefox I did get a genuine activation request and was not able to
> pass, but from IE the download page contained a direct download URL
> without even asking about activation.

M$ published Firefox/Mozilla plugins for both WGA and OGA quite some time
ago.
See <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52685>
and <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58815>

BEWARE: the installers are braindead, they search for the currently
installed browsers and copy the plugin to EVERY plugins folder they
are able to detect.
Apparently the genuine advantage people have never heard of
[HKLM\Software\MozillaPlugins\@microsoft.com/*] and how to register
plugins for all browsers.

> In other words, to anyone having problems, make sure you're using IE on
> the W2K machine itself, if you're using another browser (or a
> Vista/XP/other machine) to obtain the download you may have problems.

Get the standalone applications from here
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=71696> and there
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=67635> and use whatever browser
you like.

Stefan

Dave Warren

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
In message <#5BJTWgiJHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "Stefan Kanthak"
<postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> was claimed to have wrote:

>"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote:
>
>> In message <#K4f5jWiJHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "MowGreen [MVP]"
>> <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>>>I was under the impression that Win2K did not need to do the validation
>>>dance in order for one to obtain Windows Script.
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

>> I happened to be downloading something for a W2K machine a few days ago,
>> from Firefox I did get a genuine activation request and was not able to
>> pass, but from IE the download page contained a direct download URL
>> without even asking about activation.

>M$ published Firefox/Mozilla plugins for both WGA and OGA quite some time
>ago.
>See <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52685>
>and <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58815>

I'm aware of that, and they work fine under XP/Vista.

The plug-in does not result in a successful WGA validation under W2K
though, so this advice doesn't help W2K users.

>> In other words, to anyone having problems, make sure you're using IE on
>> the W2K machine itself, if you're using another browser (or a
>> Vista/XP/other machine) to obtain the download you may have problems.

>Get the standalone applications from here
><http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=71696> and there
><http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=67635> and use whatever browser
>you like.

Again, doesn't work under Windows 2000. You'll get a "GeninueCheck.exe
is not a valid Win32 application" error rather then a WGA code.

The *only* way for a W2K user to download an update requiring successful
WGA validation is to use IE, in which case you WGA validation is skipped
completely, under IE Microsoft.com doesn't even attempt a validation.
Stefan Kanthak

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k
"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote:

> In message <#5BJTWgiJHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "Stefan Kanthak"
> <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> was claimed to have wrote:

>>M$ published Firefox/Mozilla plugins for both WGA and OGA quite some time
>>ago.
>>See <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52685>
>>and <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58815>

> I'm aware of that, and they work fine under XP/Vista.
>
> The plug-in does not result in a successful WGA validation under W2K
> though, so this advice doesn't help W2K users.

Wrong! Both plugins work under W2K here.

>>Get the standalone applications from here
>><http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=71696> and there
>><http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=67635> and use whatever browser
>>you like.

> Again, doesn't work under Windows 2000. You'll get a "GeninueCheck.exe
> is not a valid Win32 application" error rather then a WGA code.

Wrong again! Your W2K is apparently broken.
Both apps work here without problem (at least upon 2nd invocation: quite
sometime GenuineCheck.exe reports "I'm outdated, please get a recent
version" on the 1st invocation).

> The *only* way for a W2K user to download an update requiring successful
> WGA validation is to use IE, in which case you WGA validation is skipped
> completely, under IE Microsoft.com doesn't even attempt a validation.

That's right, the check implemented for IE on their websites is wrong!

Stefan

seancb

Re: GenuineCheck for Win2k

"Stefan Kanthak" wrote:

> Wrong! Both plugins work under W2K here.

> Wrong again! Your W2K is apparently broken.
> Both apps work here without problem (at least upon 2nd invocation: quite
> sometime GenuineCheck.exe reports "I'm outdated, please get a recent
> version" on the 1st invocation).

WRONG!

I am using a fresh win2k install with all updatesand no extras, and I get
the exact same errors with these executables. The only solution is to use IE.