Narrow the Search Options

Gus D

Narrow the Search Options
There should be an option to narrow the search for Windows XP or English only
or Windows XP in English only. The catalog is too general.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog
LarryLaser

RE: Narrow the Search Options
I agree with you Gus, I also think there should be a calendar date search
option as well.
I use multiple computers and OS's and run WSUS for them and each month I
need to find all the updates I need, it would take less time to find all I
need and DL them with this option.

"Gus D" wrote:

> There should be an option to narrow the search for Windows XP or English only
> or Windows XP in English only. The catalog is too general.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

CabalaCaava

RE: Narrow the Search Options
Yeah, they should have leave it as it was in the original catalog (searches
limited to a concrete product). There should be an option to only display
updates for a particular product (with a concrete SP level) and a particular
language. Also there should be an option to filter out updates that were
superseded by other updates. Right now the search results are useless, I
don't have time to go through hundreds of unrelated results and manually pick
the few updates I need.

"Gus D" wrote:

> There should be an option to narrow the search for Windows XP or English only
> or Windows XP in English only. The catalog is too general.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

Tobias Alte

Re: Narrow the Search Options
I don't know if that will have any influence on the direction of feature
development but I definitely "bump" this post.

As I assume that there runs some form of database in the back of the
Update Catalog users should definitely have the option to be more
specific in there search.

The parameters mentioned by the original posters:

- Date (at least something like: "find updates released in and after
MM/YYYY)
- Operating System (at least the plain system 2000, XP, Vista, 7 with
the option of specifying the service pack version being the real helpful
one)

I can't imagine any reason why it is not already possible to have these
search terms.

Regards,

Btw: I really *like* the new look-and-feel of the update catalog but
please provide at least the most basic features like the ones mentioned
above!

On 2/1/2009 12:09 PM, Gus D wrote:
> There should be an option to narrow the search for Windows XP or English only
> or Windows XP in English only. The catalog is too general.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

pcrudy

Re: Narrow the Search Options
I agree with all the posts in this thread and add that the old catalog was a
1000 times better and easier to use then this one. If you don't have all the
expensive Servers and such to download and manage updates, the new catalog is
almost useless or impossible to use; but that's always the case with
Microsoft products - they are only interested in profits from the corporate
accounts and then to forget about the actual people who made Gates the
richest man on earth.