Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Tom Milleson

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer freezing up and when I have
it send an error report I get a response that tells me there is no solution
but that I should check for updates. I am set up to get automatic updates so
I ignored the message for a while. However, today I finally had it search
for available updates. It came up with a high-priority update that is
described in the subject line of this message. First of all I'm wondering
why if this is a high-priority update it hasn't automatically happened and
secondly I am hesitant to do the update due to the size of the download -
248.4 MB. Can anybody provide any insight as to why this update hasn't been
automatically done and whether I really want to download this huge update?
TaurArian

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Tom Milleson wrote:
:: I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer freezing up and
:: when I have it send an error report I get a response that tells me
:: there is no solution but that I should check for updates. I am set
:: up to get automatic updates so I ignored the message for a while.
:: However, today I finally had it search for available updates. It
:: came up with a high-priority update that is described in the subject
:: line of this message. First of all I'm wondering why if this is a
:: high-priority update it hasn't automatically happened and secondly I
:: am hesitant to do the update due to the size of the download - 248.4
:: MB. Can anybody provide any insight as to why this update hasn't
:: been automatically done and whether I really want to download this
:: huge update?

As far as I can tell, it will only download the parts of the update that are
necessary for the individual system. It's doesn't install any extras.
For example, if you only have Framework 1 & 2, it'll only update Framework 1
& 2.

I downloaded the full file from the catalog, and when I went to install it,
it only required 50 meg of the downloaded file.
Then I checked WU again and there was a further 16 meg to install.

No, I can't explain it, but that's my personal experience.

Also before installing you may need to look at this:
Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

FYI -
Windows Update newsgroup:
(OE newsreader)
or
(Web)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ang =en&cr=US

For IE7 assistance, please post to
:microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup.

Web interface -

Newsreader -

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Axel Hammerschmidt

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
TaurArian:

> Tom Milleson wrote:
>:: I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer freezing up and
>:: when I have it send an error report I get a response that tells me
>:: there is no solution but that I should check for updates. I am set
>:: up to get automatic updates so I ignored the message for a while.
>:: However, today I finally had it search for available updates. It
>:: came up with a high-priority update that is described in the subject
>:: line of this message. First of all I'm wondering why if this is a
>:: high-priority update it hasn't automatically happened and secondly I
>:: am hesitant to do the update due to the size of the download - 248.4
>:: MB. Can anybody provide any insight as to why this update hasn't
>:: been automatically done and whether I really want to download this
>:: huge update?
>

> As far as I can tell, it will only download the parts of the update
> that are necessary for the individual system. It's doesn't install any
> extras. For example, if you only have Framework 1 & 2, it'll only
> update Framework 1 & 2.
>
> I downloaded the full file from the catalog, and when I went to
> install it, it only required 50 meg of the downloaded file.
> Then I checked WU again and there was a further 16 meg to install.
>
> No, I can't explain it, but that's my personal experience.

There are two downloads in Windows Update-catalog with exactly the same
name, size and date, named: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update. Both 284MB - not 248MB!

But they have different package details.

I have .NET 2.0 installed - not by choice - on two computers with XP Pro
and have a slow broadband internet connection - 256Kbit/s. I downloaded
the "top" package thinking it was the most recent and superceded the
other one to save time. It took 2 1/2 hours.

But no go. This download turned out to be a folder containing other
installers, and .NET 2.0 SP2. No SP1. And of course that wouldn't
install. I would have to download them both (2 x 284MB) or use Microsoft
Update.

So now I'm downloading the ***high priority*** updates with Microsoft
Update - 284MB - TWICE! Because Microsoft Update downloads the whole
284MB folder.

Well done, Microsoft.

--
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
TaurArian

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Axel Hammerschmidt wrote:
:: TaurArian:
::
::: Tom Milleson wrote:
::::: I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer freezing up and
::::: when I have it send an error report I get a response that tells me
::::: there is no solution but that I should check for updates. I am
::::: set up to get automatic updates so I ignored the message for a
::::: while. However, today I finally had it search for available
::::: updates. It came up with a high-priority update that is
::::: described in the subject line of this message. First of all I'm
::::: wondering why if this is a high-priority update it hasn't
::::: automatically happened and secondly I am hesitant to do the
::::: update due to the size of the download - 248.4 MB. Can anybody
::::: provide any insight as to why this update hasn't been
::::: automatically done and whether I really want to download this
::::: huge update?
:::
:::
[...]
:: --
:: Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

The update full file is 248 mb -
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...spx?q=KB951847

I downloaded the same and it had a total of five .exe files in it.

If you get the update from AU - then the download is approx 50 - 60 meg.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Robert Aldwinckle

"Axel Hammerschmidt" <hlexa@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns9BA512ECAC757hlexahotmailcom@130.133.1.4.. .
> TaurArian:
>
>> Tom Milleson wrote:
>>:: I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer freezing up and
>>:: when I have it send an error report I get a response that tells me
>>:: there is no solution but that I should check for updates. I am set
>>:: up to get automatic updates so I ignored the message for a while.
>>:: However, today I finally had it search for available updates. It
>>:: came up with a high-priority update that is described in the subject
>>:: line of this message. First of all I'm wondering why if this is a
>>:: high-priority update it hasn't automatically happened and secondly I
>>:: am hesitant to do the update due to the size of the download - 248.4
>>:: MB.

>>::Can anybody provide any insight as to why this update hasn't
>>:: been automatically done and whether I really want to download this
>>:: huge update?

Did you check the WU log to see if it had started downloading?
FWIW the same thing happened to me with XPsp3 (another huge
update). It started and then got suspended somehow.
I only discovered this accidentally by using bitsadmin /list /allusers
That gave me the GUID which identified the download package
and then going back in the log I could see what had happened.
So I used bitsadmin /resume to get it unsuspended and the
download finally completed--over a month after it had started. ; )

>> As far as I can tell, it will only download the parts of the update
>> that are necessary for the individual system. It's doesn't install any
>> extras. For example, if you only have Framework 1 & 2, it'll only
>> update Framework 1 & 2.
>>
>> I downloaded the full file from the catalog, and when I went to
>> install it, it only required 50 meg of the downloaded file.
>> Then I checked WU again and there was a further 16 meg to install.
>>
>> No, I can't explain it, but that's my personal experience.

> There are two downloads in Windows Update-catalog with exactly the same
> name, size and date, named: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
> and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update. Both 284MB - not 248MB!
>
> But they have different package details.
>
> I have .NET 2.0 installed - not by choice - on two computers with XP Pro
> and have a slow broadband internet connection - 256Kbit/s. I downloaded
> the "top" package thinking it was the most recent and superceded the
> other one to save time. It took 2 1/2 hours.
>
> But no go. This download turned out to be a folder containing other
> installers, and .NET 2.0 SP2. No SP1. And of course that wouldn't
> install. I would have to download them both (2 x 284MB) or use Microsoft
> Update.
>
> So now I'm downloading the ***high priority*** updates with Microsoft
> Update - 284MB - TWICE! Because Microsoft Update downloads the whole
> 284MB folder.
>
> Well done, Microsoft.

This is the disadvantage of using the catalog instead of AU IMO.
With the catalog you get the full package because nothing is known
about where you intend to deploy it. With AU it knows about the
machine which the update is for so it can tailor the download for that.

BTW I very much doubt that the .NET updates will have anything
to do with your IE hangs but this isn't the right newsgroup to try
to diagnose them in.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Virtuous

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Microsoft lays another egg with this update. There's no warning about how
long this "update" takes. This whole process should be classified as a bug to
be exterminated!

Virtuous