Instead Windows Update I get Google

elvis

Instead Windows Update I get Google
When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
someone knows what can I do?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Instead Windows Update I get Google

"elvis" <elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D51E87-3772-4297-86C5-4FC11AA1CC76@microsoft.com...
> When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
> someone knows what can I do?

Details? How are you trying? On which OS?

Try using a full URL (e.g. instead of typing a partial URL in the Address bar):

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

And if it is not the catalog you are trying to use (the topic of this newsgroup)
you can try using its FAQ anyway (e.g. click on that link in the above page)
to see (for example):

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Faq.aspx
<quote>
In Windows Vista, you no longer use a Web site to check for updates.
Instead, you can check for updates by opening Control Panel, and opening
Windows Update. If you use Microsoft Update, you can install updates for
Windows and other Microsoft software products through Windows Update.
</quote>

Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

a guy from Sweden

Re: Instead Windows Update I get Google
i got the same problem. i got Windows XP HE SP3. please help us..

"a guy from Sweden" <aguyfromSweden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i got the same problem. i got Windows XP HE SP3. please help us..

One out of three (and that's just counting my questions) is not good enough.

Try again.

---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "elvis" <elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D51E87-3772-4297-86C5-4FC11AA1CC76@microsoft.com...
>> > When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
>> > someone knows what can I do?

>> Details? How are you trying? On which OS?
>>
>> Try using a full URL (e.g. instead of typing a partial URL in the Address bar):
>>
>> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
>>
>> And if it is not the catalog you are trying to use (the topic of this newsgroup)
>> you can try using its FAQ anyway (e.g. click on that link in the above page)
>> to see (for example):
>>

>> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Faq.aspx
>> <quote>
>> In Windows Vista, you no longer use a Web site to check for updates.
>> Instead, you can check for updates by opening Control Panel, and opening
>> Windows Update. If you use Microsoft Update, you can install updates for
>> Windows and other Microsoft software products through Windows Update.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Etc.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

MadRepairer

RE: Instead Windows Update I get Google
He is absolutely correct. I am in the process of recovering XP on my aunt's
computer only to have Windows Update after recovery send me directly to
Google(English).

Her computer is older. Intel Celeron, Compaq, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Home
Edition Service Pack 2, and running IE6. I was thinking it was IE6, but IE6
won't let me download IE7 or IE8B2! Absolutely ridiculous. I should have
followed my gut instinct and installed Ubuntu 8.10.

I've tried several links into Microsoft including the ones provided here and
keep coming back to Google or to a Google entry stating that the requested
page does not exist.

"MadRepairer" <MadRepairer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5475252E-F264-41F9-9C0D-D20D6464FD1E@microsoft.com...
> He is absolutely correct. I am in the process of recovering XP on my aunt's
> computer only to have Windows Update after recovery send me directly to
> Google(English).
>
> Her computer is older. Intel Celeron, Compaq, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Home
> Edition Service Pack 2, and running IE6. I was thinking it was IE6, but IE6
> won't let me download IE7 or IE8B2! Absolutely ridiculous. I should have
> followed my gut instinct and installed Ubuntu 8.10.
>

> I've tried several links into Microsoft including the ones provided here and
> keep coming back to Google or to a Google entry stating that the requested
> page does not exist.

That's a symptom of a problem with the DNS.
In some cases it is a symptom of a hijacking of the user's router
by malware.

---

> "elvis" wrote:
>
>> When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
>> someone knows what can I do?

Morledge

RE: Instead Windows Update I get Google
I have the same issue and found it is because my pc has been hijacked by
DNSChanger Trojan.

I am having trouble removing this so far. Malwarebytes seems to have
detected it but when it removed it and rebooted it was still there.

If I find the solution (which hopefully wont be a re-install) then I will
update you.

"elvis" wrote:

> When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
> someone knows what can I do?

Solution

RE: Instead Windows Update I get Google (Solution)
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware at www.download.com
Link:http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...-10804572.html
Damgero

RE: Instead Windows Update I get Google
try to deactivate the system restore, from the system restore tab in system
information, then run malwarebytes

"Morledge" wrote:

> I have the same issue and found it is because my pc has been hijacked by
> DNSChanger Trojan.
>
> I am having trouble removing this so far. Malwarebytes seems to have
> detected it but when it removed it and rebooted it was still there.
>
> If I find the solution (which hopefully wont be a re-install) then I will
> update you.
>
> "elvis" wrote:
>
> > When i'm trying to get into Windows Update site it enters Google.
> > someone knows what can I do?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Instead Windows Update I get Google
WRONG advice. System restore can only reinfect the system if an infected
restore point is used.
Get the system cleaned up first, flush system restore, and then create a
manual restore point of the *clean* system.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten