HELP! Windows Update Totally Messed Up!!!

Biglama

HELP! Windows Update Totally Messed Up!!!
I have a problem on a customer's computer that is kicking my butt. He had
multiple viruses which I removed, then repaired the XP Home SP2 install with
the original CD. Everything is working fine except updates. If I go to
Microsoft Update, it hangs IE 6 and I have to force a quit in Task Manager.

On what I think is a related problem, I went to Security Center, and tried
to change the setting for Automatic Updates and a window would not launch.
After that, the computer didn't completely freeze but hung up so badly I had
to power it off to shut it down.

I believe it's possible that some of the files for Automatic Update were
quarantined during the virus removal process but don't know for sure...

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: HELP! Windows Update Totally Messed Up!!!
This is the Microsoft Update Catalog NG. It's for
issues/concerns/requests related to the MUC.
If you need assistance with updating issues it's best to post to the
Windows Update NG:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

This is the tool you need: AU Check (v78a)
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

Download and *save* it. Temp disable the installed AV/sec suite and any
3rd party firewall. Enable the native XP firewall.
* The system must be connected to the net to download required updating
software components *
Allow time for AU Check to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
done.
IF the system still can't update then check the compressed logs in
AULOGS stored on the root drive. Contact the tool's author via Codeplex
if you need further assistance.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Biglama wrote:

> I have a problem on a customer's computer that is kicking my butt. He had
> multiple viruses which I removed, then repaired the XP Home SP2 install with
> the original CD. Everything is working fine except updates. If I go to
> Microsoft Update, it hangs IE 6 and I have to force a quit in Task Manager.
>
> On what I think is a related problem, I went to Security Center, and tried
> to change the setting for Automatic Updates and a window would not launch.
> After that, the computer didn't completely freeze but hung up so badly I had
> to power it off to shut it down.
>
> I believe it's possible that some of the files for Automatic Update were
> quarantined during the virus removal process but don't know for sure...
>
> Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> TIA

Biglama

Re: HELP! Windows Update Totally Messed Up!!!
Thanks. I'm new here so wasn't positive where to post. That tool did fix
the Automatic Updates problem, but I still can't run windows/microsoft update
from IE6. I'll post in the correct place but if you have any ideas on that
one I'd appreciate it.

BL

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> This is the Microsoft Update Catalog NG. It's for
> issues/concerns/requests related to the MUC.
> If you need assistance with updating issues it's best to post to the
> Windows Update NG:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> This is the tool you need: AU Check (v78a)
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
> Download and *save* it. Temp disable the installed AV/sec suite and any
> 3rd party firewall. Enable the native XP firewall.
> * The system must be connected to the net to download required updating
> software components *
> Allow time for AU Check to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
> done.
> IF the system still can't update then check the compressed logs in
> AULOGS stored on the root drive. Contact the tool's author via Codeplex
> if you need further assistance.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Biglama wrote:
>
> > I have a problem on a customer's computer that is kicking my butt. He had
> > multiple viruses which I removed, then repaired the XP Home SP2 install with
> > the original CD. Everything is working fine except updates. If I go to
> > Microsoft Update, it hangs IE 6 and I have to force a quit in Task Manager.
> >
> > On what I think is a related problem, I went to Security Center, and tried
> > to change the setting for Automatic Updates and a window would not launch.
> > After that, the computer didn't completely freeze but hung up so badly I had
> > to power it off to shut it down.
> >
> > I believe it's possible that some of the files for Automatic Update were
> > quarantined during the virus removal process but don't know for sure...
> >
> > Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
> >
> > TIA

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: HELP! Windows Update Totally Messed Up!!!
Do another manual update attempt. When/if it fails, open the
WindowsUpdate.log, then copy and paste the last 50 or so lines into a
new thread here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

If there are any toolbars and/or 'other' add-ons installed to IE you
could try disabling/uninstalling the toolbars and disabling all 3rd
party add-ons.
To disable all 3rd party add-ons, go to Control Panel> Internet Options>
Click the Programs tab.
Click the Manage Add-ons button.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Biglama wrote:

> Thanks. I'm new here so wasn't positive where to post. That tool did fix
> the Automatic Updates problem, but I still can't run windows/microsoft update
> from IE6. I'll post in the correct place but if you have any ideas on that
> one I'd appreciate it.
>
> BL
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>>This is the Microsoft Update Catalog NG. It's for
>>issues/concerns/requests related to the MUC.
>>If you need assistance with updating issues it's best to post to the
>>Windows Update NG:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>>
>>This is the tool you need: AU Check (v78a)
>>http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>>
>>Download and *save* it. Temp disable the installed AV/sec suite and any
>>3rd party firewall. Enable the native XP firewall.
>>* The system must be connected to the net to download required updating
>>software components *
>>Allow time for AU Check to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
>>done.
>>IF the system still can't update then check the compressed logs in
>>AULOGS stored on the root drive. Contact the tool's author via Codeplex
>>if you need further assistance.
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Biglama wrote:
>>

>>>I have a problem on a customer's computer that is kicking my butt. He had
>>>multiple viruses which I removed, then repaired the XP Home SP2 install with
>>>the original CD. Everything is working fine except updates. If I go to
>>>Microsoft Update, it hangs IE 6 and I have to force a quit in Task Manager.
>>>
>>>On what I think is a related problem, I went to Security Center, and tried
>>>to change the setting for Automatic Updates and a window would not launch.
>>>After that, the computer didn't completely freeze but hung up so badly I had
>>>to power it off to shut it down.
>>>
>>>I believe it's possible that some of the files for Automatic Update were
>>>quarantined during the virus removal process but don't know for sure...
>>>
>>>Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA

ASCU

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> This is the Microsoft Update Catalog NG. It's for
> issues/concerns/requests related to the MUC.
> If you need assistance with updating issues it's best to post to the
> Windows Update NG:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> This is the tool you need: AU Check (v78a)
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

It seems that AU Check is no longer available. When one attempts to visit
that URL, one is redirected to the CodePlex main page at:

http://www.codeplex.com/

I'd like to try AU Check on this WinXP Pro x64 SP2 system since when I go to
scan for updates, I end up with an error page that contains this info:

***

Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update
services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
About Windows Update
Support Information

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows
Update.

***

I note that when I try to access Microsoft Update, the URL I get redirected
to is:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp