Notes from a previous MS Response -
Windows Update Client failed to detect with error 0x8000ffff.
The error can occur if one of the following factor is true:
1. The relevant Windows Update services stop working.
2. The temporary folder of Windows Update has been corrupted.
3. Windows Update Agent does not work.
At this time, let's try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue. After
completing the steps, please perform Windows Update to check the result.
Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
1. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.
2. In the right pane, please check whether the following three services have
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
Windows Event Log
If not, please start them one by one.
Step 2: Rename the Windows Update SoftwareDistribution folder
1. Click Start, type notepad in Start Search box, and press Enter.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad
net stop wuauserv
net stop Cryptsvc
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SD.old
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start Cryptsvc
3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file
name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
4. Refer to the Desktop, right click the register.bat file, and choose Run
5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started. After that, please run Windows Update to test the
If the error 0x8000ffff persists when searching for updates, let's reinstall
Windows Update Agent 3.0.
Step 3: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
1. Please download the file from the following link:
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
2. Save the file to D: drive.
Note: Please select a drive where Windows Vista was not loaded because the
file cannot be launched directly from the system root directory.
3. Click Start, click Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"
(without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update
Note: There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
"Ian the seagull" <Iantheseagull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The WUA automatically installed itself, I suppose It did a restart as
> well. I
> have McAfee protection software and it was on
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>> Was the system restarted afterwards ?
>> If yes, was the installed antivirus/security suite actively monitoring
>> the system when the WUA installed and, who is it's manufacturer ?
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> Ian the seagull wrote:
>> > I am running windows vista business (with service pack 1 installed.) On
>> > a 32
>> > bit system. on the 4th of september windows automatically installed
>> > Windows
>> > update agent 7.2.6001.784 and since then I get the message "windows
>> > cant
>> > check for updates" when I try to manualy check i get error code
>> > 8000ffff
>> > Which i believe is " unspecified error". This update is now further
>> > back than
>> > my eirliest system restore point and I cant uninstall this update from
>> > any of
>> > the lists either. I'm stuck. Please help.