Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Problems during updating WinXP sp3

microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2008
PrometeoSI
 

Posts: n/a
Problems during updating WinXP sp3
Hello Everyone, I have a problem: on a Win XP sp3 when I try to
download/install updates via Windows/Microsoft update the site tells me that
the necessary files to utilize Windows Update are not registered or are not
installed on the computer and it suggests me to try to register/reinstall
those files automatically, but the problem remains. I found this error after
that I repaired the installation of the OS. What can I do? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems during updating WinXP sp3
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new
Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Do Method 1 first. Installed antivirus/security software may be
preventing the the proper registration of the required files.
If the files registration still fails after attempting Method 1 then
suggest you disconnect the system from it's net/network connection and
then *temporarily* disable all installed sec software.
Then do Method 1 again.
If that fails to get the files registered than the security software
prevented all required files from being downloaded.
*Reenable* the security software, reconnect the system, and download the
latest Version of the Windows Update Agent from the links on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Download the package that applies to the version of XP installed and
save it, either x86 [32bit] or x64 [64bit]. Most XP installations are
x86 [32bit].
Once the download completes do the same as previously suggested
[disconnect, temp disable the sec software], then move
windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe [32bit] to the root drive [the drive where
Windows is installed to, usually, C:\)
Now open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in
cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the prompt, type in these commands *exactly* as written, pressing
Enter after *each* one

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
net start bits
net start wuauserv
exit

The command, c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce, will take a
little time to run. Allow it to finish before entering the next one.

Reboot. Reenable the installed security software prior to reconnecting
the system.
Did that get the files installed and registered ?


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



PrometeoSI wrote:

> Hello Everyone, I have a problem: on a Win XP sp3 when I try to
> download/install updates via Windows/Microsoft update the site tells me that
> the necessary files to utilize Windows Update are not registered or are not
> installed on the computer and it suggests me to try to register/reinstall
> those files automatically, but the problem remains. I found this error after
> that I repaired the installation of the OS. What can I do? Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Michel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems during updating WinXP sp3
UHM thats a long way to go as i think that updates wont be installed couse of
servicepack 3....cant see that this pack is suported by any updates or am i
blonde?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new
> Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Do Method 1 first. Installed antivirus/security software may be
> preventing the the proper registration of the required files.
> If the files registration still fails after attempting Method 1 then
> suggest you disconnect the system from it's net/network connection and
> then *temporarily* disable all installed sec software.
> Then do Method 1 again.
> If that fails to get the files registered than the security software
> prevented all required files from being downloaded.
> *Reenable* the security software, reconnect the system, and download the
> latest Version of the Windows Update Agent from the links on this page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
>
> Download the package that applies to the version of XP installed and
> save it, either x86 [32bit] or x64 [64bit]. Most XP installations are
> x86 [32bit].
> Once the download completes do the same as previously suggested
> [disconnect, temp disable the sec software], then move
> windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe [32bit] to the root drive [the drive where
> Windows is installed to, usually, C:\)
> Now open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in
> cmd
> Click OK or press Enter
> At the prompt, type in these commands *exactly* as written, pressing
> Enter after *each* one
>
> net stop wuauserv
> net stop bits
> c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
> net start bits
> net start wuauserv
> exit
>
> The command, c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce, will take a
> little time to run. Allow it to finish before entering the next one.
>
> Reboot. Reenable the installed security software prior to reconnecting
> the system.
> Did that get the files installed and registered ?
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> PrometeoSI wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone, I have a problem: on a Win XP sp3 when I try to
> > download/install updates via Windows/Microsoft update the site tells me that
> > the necessary files to utilize Windows Update are not registered or are not
> > installed on the computer and it suggests me to try to register/reinstall
> > those files automatically, but the problem remains. I found this error after
> > that I repaired the installation of the OS. What can I do? Thanks.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems during updating WinXP sp3
First try registering the Wups2.dll file as mentioned in KB943144. Method 1
is usually sufficient.

Just try it and see if it works, otherwise move onto Mow's further
suggestions.

FYI - Windows Update newsgroup:
(OE newsreader)
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof....windowsupdate
or
(Web)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ang =en&cr=US
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"Michel" <Michel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C68C059F-7605-4B92-BC8A-24F11CF5F6A9@microsoft.com...
> UHM thats a long way to go as i think that updates wont be installed couse
> of
> servicepack 3....cant see that this pack is suported by any updates or am
> i
> blonde?
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new
>> Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>> Do Method 1 first. Installed antivirus/security software may be
>> preventing the the proper registration of the required files.
>> If the files registration still fails after attempting Method 1 then
>> suggest you disconnect the system from it's net/network connection and
>> then *temporarily* disable all installed sec software.
>> Then do Method 1 again.
>> If that fails to get the files registered than the security software
>> prevented all required files from being downloaded.
>> *Reenable* the security software, reconnect the system, and download the
>> latest Version of the Windows Update Agent from the links on this page:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
>>
>> Download the package that applies to the version of XP installed and
>> save it, either x86 [32bit] or x64 [64bit]. Most XP installations are
>> x86 [32bit].
>> Once the download completes do the same as previously suggested
>> [disconnect, temp disable the sec software], then move
>> windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe [32bit] to the root drive [the drive where
>> Windows is installed to, usually, C:\)
>> Now open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in
>> cmd
>> Click OK or press Enter
>> At the prompt, type in these commands *exactly* as written, pressing
>> Enter after *each* one
>>
>> net stop wuauserv
>> net stop bits
>> c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
>> net start bits
>> net start wuauserv
>> exit
>>
>> The command, c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce, will take a
>> little time to run. Allow it to finish before entering the next one.
>>
>> Reboot. Reenable the installed security software prior to reconnecting
>> the system.
>> Did that get the files installed and registered ?
>>
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>>
>>
>> PrometeoSI wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Everyone, I have a problem: on a Win XP sp3 when I try to
>> > download/install updates via Windows/Microsoft update the site tells me
>> > that
>> > the necessary files to utilize Windows Update are not registered or are
>> > not
>> > installed on the computer and it suggests me to try to
>> > register/reinstall
>> > those files automatically, but the problem remains. I found this error
>> > after
>> > that I repaired the installation of the OS. What can I do? Thanks.

>>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with IE after installing WinXP sp3 tigerand microsoft.public.windowsupdate 8 06-11-2008 20:21
Vista updating problems Cooper microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 06-05-2008 21:30
Problems updating Eddie microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 06-04-2008 03:34
PROBLEMS Updating. HANNA microsoft.public.windowsupdate 10 03-14-2008 03:07
Problems with Updating in Vista Mimi1177 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-23-2008 21:32




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120