Specific search for drivers on MSFT Update Catalog errored out

Will

Specific search for drivers on MSFT Update Catalog errored out
I had selected two drivers to download and they were in my "basket". I
clicked to download now, and the popup came up which allowed me to select a
download folder, but once I clicked "Continue" or "Next", I received the
following error:

The website has encountered a problem
[Error number: 800704DD]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I am running Vista Home Premium SP1 and was using IE7, as administrator.
When I tried it the first time, I had not launched IE as administrator, and
the browse button, to select a download folder for the drivers, didn't do
anything.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Specific search for drivers on MSFT Update Catalog errored out
Is there a popup\cookie blocker or a 3rd party toolbar installed ?
If yes, disable those add-ons and see if the download completes.

0x800704DD Error_Not_Logged_On to network
Logon Failure: account currently disabled

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Will wrote:

> I had selected two drivers to download and they were in my "basket". I
> clicked to download now, and the popup came up which allowed me to select a
> download folder, but once I clicked "Continue" or "Next", I received the
> following error:
>
> The website has encountered a problem
> [Error number: 800704DD]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium SP1 and was using IE7, as administrator.
> When I tried it the first time, I had not launched IE as administrator, and
> the browse button, to select a download folder for the drivers, didn't do
> anything.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,

David Warrell

RE: Specific search for drivers on MSFT Update Catalog errored out
I realise this is an old thread, but I wanted to contribute my observations
for the benefit of other who may encounter this issue in the future.

As Will observed, trying to download from the Microsoft Update Catalog site
will not work if you are running IE while logged in to Vista as a
less-privileged user (i.e. not Administrator). When you click on the "Browse"
button to select a download location, Vista will prompt you for Administrator
credentials, and then do nothing. Subsequent clicks on the Browse button also
do nothing.

Running IE as an Administrator (by right-clicking on the IE icon and
selecting "Run as administrator") will get the Browse button working
correctly, but then you get the error 800704DD once it tries to start
downloading.

To resolve this issue, it seems you need to actually log into Vista as an
Administrator, and complete the whole process that way.

"Will" wrote:

> I had selected two drivers to download and they were in my "basket". I
> clicked to download now, and the popup came up which allowed me to select a
> download folder, but once I clicked "Continue" or "Next", I received the
> following error:
>
> The website has encountered a problem
> [Error number: 800704DD]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium SP1 and was using IE7, as administrator.
> When I tried it the first time, I had not launched IE as administrator, and
> the browse button, to select a download folder for the drivers, didn't do
> anything.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,

Richard Drouin

RE: Specific search for drivers on MSFT Update Catalog errored out
David is correct. Thanks, glad to see i'm not the only one.

I have the exact same symptoms, any update or solution on this issue, other
than logging on as admin.
Unacceptable in a corporate environment.
I should be able to download as a regular user.