windows update not working

mhamrick56

windows update not working
Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
everytime .. Any help???????/
--
mhamrick56
bobsvilla

RE: windows update not working
Me Too! I run "services.msc" try to change "automatic update" from disabled
to automatic, hit apply, try to start auto update, it goes to "err 1058". The
"Bits" and "Log" changes are OK. When I go back into services.msc it shows
auto update disabled again. What gives? (XP Pro still on service pac 2)

TaurArian

Re: windows update not working
Will Xpost to the WU Newsgroup -

Considerations :

System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584

You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"mhamrick56" <mhamrick56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
| ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
| start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
| update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
| Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
| everytime .. Any help???????/
| --
| mhamrick56

TaurArian

Re: windows update not working
Same answer -

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Same answer -
>
> Considerations:-
> System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>
> Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584
>
> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
> error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
> 2005
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
>
> "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
> you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "bobsvilla" <bobsvilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Me Too! I run "services.msc" try to change "automatic update" from disabled
> | to automatic, hit apply, try to start auto update, it goes to "err 1058". The
> | "Bits" and "Log" changes are OK. When I go back into services.msc it shows
> | auto update disabled again. What gives? (XP Pro still on service pac 2)
> |
> I tried everything you said and still the same problem ?? It is something to do with spyware or malware I keep getting pop ups on IE I have ran windows defender with updates also ? I caught my stepson on ****ographic websites yesterday seems like when this all started ?

stevefernandez661

Re: windows update not working
thank you for the link it was fast,easy & FREE!!!!!! & worked.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Same answer -
>
> Considerations:-
> System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>
> Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584
>
> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
> error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
> 2005
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
>
> "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
> you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "bobsvilla" <bobsvilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Me Too! I run "services.msc" try to change "automatic update" from disabled
> | to automatic, hit apply, try to start auto update, it goes to "err 1058". The
> | "Bits" and "Log" changes are OK. When I go back into services.msc it shows
> | auto update disabled again. What gives? (XP Pro still on service pac 2)

lcnash

"mhamrick56" wrote:

> Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
> ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
> start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
> update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
> Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
> everytime .. Any help???????/
> --
> mhamrick56

supoch14

"mhamrick56" wrote:

> Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
> ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
> start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
> update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
> Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
> everytime .. Any help???????/
> --
> mhamrick56

supoch14