Windows Update Stalls

venajoe

Windows Update Stalls
I am trying to get a 2001 home-built XP SP2 machine back up to date, as it
has been disconnected from internet usage for a year or so. Recently I was
informed of an available update to Internet Explorer 7. When I proceeded
with the installation, it failed. The first troubleshooting suggestion was
to be sure that I have all the most current updates from Windows Update.
Whenever I try to go there and check for new updates, I get a message that
reads "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
software for use with the website…" Nothing further happens. I have tried
this several times, and have left my computer waiting on this site for hours
in hopes it will finally do something--can anyone out there help me? Thanks!
TaurArian

Re: Windows Update Stalls
You'll probably have to install the latest WU client - see this link for details
(disregard the title) -

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Xposting to Windows Update Newsgroup for your convenience.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"venajoe" <venajoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I am trying to get a 2001 home-built XP SP2 machine back up to date, as it
| has been disconnected from internet usage for a year or so. Recently I was
| informed of an available update to Internet Explorer 7. When I proceeded
| with the installation, it failed. The first troubleshooting suggestion was
| to be sure that I have all the most current updates from Windows Update.
| Whenever I try to go there and check for new updates, I get a message that
| reads "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
| software for use with the website." Nothing further happens. I have tried
| this several times, and have left my computer waiting on this site for hours
| in hopes it will finally do something--can anyone out there help me? Thanks!

venajoe

Re: Windows Update Stalls
TaurArian,

Thanks so much for your help! You got me over the hump and I got IE7
installed this afternoon!

venajoe

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You'll probably have to install the latest WU client - see this link for details
> (disregard the title) -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
> using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Xposting to Windows Update Newsgroup for your convenience.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "venajoe" <venajoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I am trying to get a 2001 home-built XP SP2 machine back up to date, as it
> | has been disconnected from internet usage for a year or so. Recently I was
> | informed of an available update to Internet Explorer 7. When I proceeded
> | with the installation, it failed. The first troubleshooting suggestion was
> | to be sure that I have all the most current updates from Windows Update.
> | Whenever I try to go there and check for new updates, I get a message that
> | reads "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> | software for use with the website." Nothing further happens. I have tried
> | this several times, and have left my computer waiting on this site for hours
> | in hopes it will finally do something--can anyone out there help me? Thanks!

sgmaxmp11

Re: Windows Update Stalls

"venajoe" wrote:

> TaurArian,
>
> Thanks so much for your help! You got me over the hump and I got IE7
> installed this afternoon!
>
> venajoe
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > You'll probably have to install the latest WU client - see this link for details
> > (disregard the title) -
> >
> > Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
> > using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> >
> > Xposting to Windows Update Newsgroup for your convenience.
> >
> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "venajoe" <venajoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > |I am trying to get a 2001 home-built XP SP2 machine back up to date, as it
> > | has been disconnected from internet usage for a year or so. Recently I was
> > | informed of an available update to Internet Explorer 7. When I proceeded
> > | with the installation, it failed. The first troubleshooting suggestion was
> > | to be sure that I have all the most current updates from Windows Update.
> > | Whenever I try to go there and check for new updates, I get a message that
> > | reads "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> > | software for use with the website." Nothing further happens. I have tried
> > | this several times, and have left my computer waiting on this site for hours
> > | in hopes it will finally do something--can anyone out there help me? Thanks!

supoch14

RE: Windows Update Stalls