How to narrow search

Michael Reinders

How to narrow search
I just found out about WUC, and have a question. My scenario is getting
laptops used out in the field, set for a new user (removing junk, making sure
all correct apps are installed, and getting it patched).

All Windows XP (for now). I apply the network of SP3 if I need to. My
question, when searching the MUC, how do I say:

I want to find ALL Windows XP post-SP3 hotfixes, security updates, etc. and
all Office 2003 post-SP3 and Office 2007 post SP1 updates?

If I enter windows xp in the search, it of course finds tons. How do I
narrow down the Product column, etc.? Why isn't it intuitive?

Thanks for your help!
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: How to narrow search
"Michael Reinders" <Michael Reinders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just found out about WUC, and have a question. My scenario is getting
> laptops used out in the field, set for a new user (removing junk, making sure
> all correct apps are installed, and getting it patched).
>
> All Windows XP (for now). I apply the network of SP3 if I need to. My
> question, when searching the MUC, how do I say:
>
> I want to find ALL Windows XP post-SP3 hotfixes, security updates, etc. and
> all Office 2003 post-SP3 and Office 2007 post SP1 updates?

I don't think that this is the right tool for that. E.g. MBSA and the
Enterprise Update Scan Tool would have the databases that you
would require. I think adapting them to your needs would be more
effective than trying to master the search syntax of the MUC site. ; )

Also, how are you planning on updating? I think that WSUS could
do the scans for you on each machine, so then your only problem
would be maintaining WSUS.

BTW both of those tools have their own newsgroup.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> If I enter windows xp in the search, it of course finds tons. How do I
> narrow down the Product column, etc.? Why isn't it intuitive?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Ken Shaw

Re: How to narrow search
What if you are integrating the hotfixes into an image or into a disaster
recovery CD/DVD? Do I have to install and run an update? Then write down
every hotfix?
MBSA and WSUS are great answers for systems already on the network.
Deploying new systems that are as up to date as possible to reduce bandwidth
and the number of updates required post installation is what we strive for.

We used to be able to do this. But this catalog search kind of mucks it up.