Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.

Teemu

Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
I have a problem which started after some Microsoft updates. It seems I am
now considered a Macintosh computer instead of a Windows XP Media Center.
When I go to Microsoft updates I get the following mesage;
"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. "
I have done a thorough scan with Avast Antivirus,I have installed Zone
Alarm and I have Windows Defender running. All appears normal.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
I can't get Windows updates and Microsoft wants to charge me to fix their
own problem.

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site."
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only. To find
updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please
visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

Xposted to Windows Update
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Teemu" <Teemu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a problem which started after some Microsoft updates. It seems I am
| now considered a Macintosh computer instead of a Windows XP Media Center.
| When I go to Microsoft updates I get the following mesage;
| "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
|
| This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
| only.
| To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
| operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. "
| I have done a thorough scan with Avast Antivirus,I have installed Zone
| Alarm and I have Windows Defender running. All appears normal.
|
| Does anyone have a fix for this?
| I can't get Windows updates and Microsoft wants to charge me to fix their
| own problem.

Diana

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
Hello,

This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
Operating
System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update uses the
operating
system information that the navigator.userAgent property returns to
determine if
you are running a supported operating system.

Deleted the two registry keys below and reboot the machine.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates
> from our site."
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> only. To find
> updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating
> systems, please
> visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>
> Xposted to Windows Update
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Teemu" <Teemu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have a problem which started after some Microsoft updates. It seems I
> am
> | now considered a Macintosh computer instead of a Windows XP Media
> Center.
> | When I go to Microsoft updates I get the following mesage;
> | "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> |
> | This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
> systems
> | only.
> | To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> | operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. "
> | I have done a thorough scan with Avast Antivirus,I have installed Zone
> | Alarm and I have Windows Defender running. All appears normal.
> |
> | Does anyone have a fix for this?
> | I can't get Windows updates and Microsoft wants to charge me to fix
> their
> | own problem.

chris

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
i have removed those keys but it still does not work
is there something else i could do?

thanks
chris

"Diana" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
> Operating
> System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update uses the
> operating
> system information that the navigator.userAgent property returns to
> determine if
> you are running a supported operating system.
>
> Deleted the two registry keys below and reboot the machine.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
> and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates
> > from our site."
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
> > Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> > only. To find
> > updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating
> > systems, please
> > visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
> >
> > Xposted to Windows Update
> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "Teemu" <Teemu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > |I have a problem which started after some Microsoft updates. It seems I
> > am
> > | now considered a Macintosh computer instead of a Windows XP Media
> > Center.
> > | When I go to Microsoft updates I get the following mesage;
> > | "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > |
> > | This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
> > systems
> > | only.
> > | To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> > | operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. "
> > | I have done a thorough scan with Avast Antivirus,I have installed Zone
> > | Alarm and I have Windows Defender running. All appears normal.
> > |
> > | Does anyone have a fix for this?
> > | I can't get Windows updates and Microsoft wants to charge me to fix
> > their
> > | own problem.

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) and IE
version when posting to this newsgroup, please.

Copy/paste the following line into an IE window's Address Bar then click on
the GO button or hit ENTER:

javascript:navigator.userAgent

Copy/paste the results into your next reply to this thread.

Are you running a third-party firewall or are you behind a proxy?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

chris wrote:
> i have removed those keys but it still does not work
> is there something else i could do?
>
>> This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
>> Operating
>> System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update uses the
>> operating
>> system information that the navigator.userAgent property returns to
>> determine if
>> you are running a supported operating system.
>>
>> Deleted the two registry keys below and reboot the machine.
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
>> and
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
>>
>> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
>> CSS Security Team

>> rights.
>>

>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining
>>> updates
>>> from our site."
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
>>> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>>> This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
>>> systems
>>> only. To find
>>> updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating
>>> systems, please
>>> visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>>>
>>> Xposted to Windows Update
>>> --
>>>
>>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>> ======================================
>>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Eduardo Nazato

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
It worked perfectly for me!

Thank you Diana

"Diana" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
> Operating
> System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update uses the
> operating
> system information that the navigator.userAgent property returns to
> determine if
> you are running a supported operating system.
>
> Deleted the two registry keys below and reboot the machine.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
> and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates
> > from our site."
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
> > Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> > only. To find
> > updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating
> > systems, please
> > visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
> >
> > Xposted to Windows Update
> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "Teemu" <Teemu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > |I have a problem which started after some Microsoft updates. It seems I
> > am
> > | now considered a Macintosh computer instead of a Windows XP Media
> > Center.
> > | When I go to Microsoft updates I get the following mesage;
> > | "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > |
> > | This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
> > systems
> > | only.
> > | To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> > | operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/. "
> > | I have done a thorough scan with Avast Antivirus,I have installed Zone
> > | Alarm and I have Windows Defender running. All appears normal.
> > |
> > | Does anyone have a fix for this?
> > | I can't get Windows updates and Microsoft wants to charge me to fix
> > their
> > | own problem.

Alex Chan

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
I got this "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)"
What can I do next?

Alex

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) and IE
> version when posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Copy/paste the following line into an IE window's Address Bar then click on
> the GO button or hit ENTER:
>
> javascript:navigator.userAgent
>
> Copy/paste the results into your next reply to this thread.
>
> Are you running a third-party firewall or are you behind a proxy?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> chris wrote:
> > i have removed those keys but it still does not work
> > is there something else i could do?
> >
> >> This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
> >> Operating
> >> System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update uses the
> >> operating
> >> system information that the navigator.userAgent property returns to
> >> determine if
> >> you are running a supported operating system.
> >>
> >> Deleted the two registry keys below and reboot the machine.
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> >> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
> >> and
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> >> Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent
> >>
> >> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> >> CSS Security Team

> >> rights.

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
Wrong newsgroup, Alex. Stay with your thread in the Windows Update
Newsgroup as this one deals with the *Microsoft Update Catalog*.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Alex Chan wrote:

> I got this "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)"
> What can I do next?
>
> Alex
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) and IE
>>version when posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>>Copy/paste the following line into an IE window's Address Bar then click on
>>the GO button or hit ENTER:
>>
>> javascript:navigator.userAgent
>>
>>Copy/paste the results into your next reply to this thread.
>>
>>Are you running a third-party firewall or are you behind a proxy?
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>>chris wrote:
>>
>>>i have removed those keys but it still does not work
>>>is there something else i could do?

Re: Windows Update thinks I have a Macintosh.
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread in Windows Update newsgroup
(only) about your specific problems. State your IE version and full Windows
version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.
--
~PA Bear

Alex Chan wrote:
> I got this "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1;
> Trident/4.0)"
> What can I do next?

<snip>