Problems with update after a re-install

Stephen Holmes

Problems with update after a re-install
Hello, I have just had to install XP again over the top of itself to sort out
a problem. Now my windows update won't work properly. Every update it
downloads it fails to install. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Stephen
TaurArian

Re: Problems with update after a re-install
Hi Stephen, common problem after a repair -

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Stephen Holmes" <Stephen Holmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello, I have just had to install XP again over the top of itself to sort out
| a problem. Now my windows update won't work properly. Every update it
| downloads it fails to install. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
|
| Stephen

Stephen Holmes

Re: Problems with update after a re-install
Thanks, this sorted it out really quickly.

Just wanted to say thank you.

Stephen

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Hi Stephen, common problem after a repair -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
> using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Stephen Holmes" <Stephen Holmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hello, I have just had to install XP again over the top of itself to sort out
> | a problem. Now my windows update won't work properly. Every update it
> | downloads it fails to install. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
> |
> | Stephen

aoeuus

RE: Problems with update after a re-install
this system is opaque. this is my exact problem, unanswered, and yet 13 out
of 15 found the post helpful, where is the answer

"Stephen Holmes" wrote:

> Hello, I have just had to install XP again over the top of itself to sort out
> a problem. Now my windows update won't work properly. Every update it
> downloads it fails to install. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
>
> Stephen

Robert Aldwinckle

"aoeuus" <aoeuus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this system is opaque. this is my exact problem, unanswered, and yet 13 out
> of 15 found the post helpful, where is the answer

Unless you post the link that you are using to see the post you are replying to
nobody knows what you mean by "this system is opaque".

In earlier versions of the web interface to newsgroups on some portals
you had to click on a [+] box beside the opening post in order to see
any responses it has received.

Of course if that is your problem, you won't see this reply either.
But perhaps the portal you are using has a feature which says notify me
of replies in which case you may be prompted into a second chance to
figure it out for yourself. <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---