Getting specific

shootthebreez

Getting specific
I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
Cheers.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Getting specific
You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.

Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

shootthebreez wrote:

> I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
> Cheers.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Getting specific
(cross-post added to MBSA)
"shootthebreez" <shootthebreez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.

I think the WU Cat is not the best tool for this requirement. E.g. essentially it's just a list
and doesn't involve any scanning of the target computer.

Take a look at the MBSA (either GUI or mbscli.exe or command line client) instead.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsa2/qa.mspx

E.g. Torgeir Bakken (MVP) has a sample script which looks as if it might even do what you want

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...36a0ce0a233c61

(Live Search for
mbsacli
)

<quote>
To list only missing updates, use this one instead:
'sXPath = "//UpdateData[@IsInstalled='false']"
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Cheers.

shootthebreez

Re: Getting specific
Thanks for the response. Just what I was after.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
> the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
> Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
> for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.
>
> Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> shootthebreez wrote:
>
> > I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> > given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> > the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> > on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
> > Cheers.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Getting specific
You're mowst welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

shootthebreez wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Just what I was after.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
>>the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
>>Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
>>for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.
>>
>>Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>shootthebreez wrote:
>>

>>>I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
>>>given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
>>>the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
>>>on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
>>>Cheers.

Intelligent

RE: Getting specific

"shootthebreez" wrote:

> I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
> Cheers.

Intelligent

Re: Getting specific

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
> the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
> Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
> for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.
>
> Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> shootthebreez wrote:
>
> > I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> > given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> > the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> > on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
> > Cheers.

Intelligent

Re: Getting specific

"shootthebreez" wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Just what I was after.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
> > the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
> > Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
> > for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.
> >
> > Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > shootthebreez wrote:
> >
> > > I was looking for a way to list all current updates I would need to install,
> > > given my Server is Windows 2003 SP2 x86 english. I may wish to include only
> > > the critical updates. I definately don't want superceeded updates. Any ideas
> > > on how and if I can get this from the WU_Cat.
> > > Cheers.

Intelligent

Re: Getting specific

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You're mowst welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> shootthebreez wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response. Just what I was after.
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>You could visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page and then set
> >>the Product/Techonology drop down window to Windows Server 2003,
> >>Standard Edition and the Service Pack window to Windows Server 2003 SP2
> >>for a list of all Critical updates issued so far.
> >>
> >>Microsoft Security Bulletin Search
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >> *-343-* FDNY