ASR requires a file from the XP Service Pack 1

Deanna at home

ASR requires a file from the XP Service Pack 1
After all else failed I ran Automated System Recovery. The Windows XP
Professional disk was in the CD drive and the ASR boot disk was in the floppy
drive. (I created the boot floppy after backing up my system to an external
hard disk last October.) ASR formatted my hard disk, copied a lot of files,
then stopped with the request that I insert the Service Pack 1 CD. Of course
I downloaded all of Service Pack 1, so I have no such CD. When I tried to
proceed, I got the message "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Service Pack 1 is
needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."
Searching for asms on my husband's PC yielded nothing. Searching for the XP
Service Pack 1 on the Microsoft site yields nothing. Even if I buy a new
computer with Vista on it tomorrow, I want my system back! In case you're
wondering where I lost it, I downloaded the upgrade to iTunes+Quicktime.
After hitting Restart as requested, Windows went away and has not returned.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ASR requires a file from the XP Service Pack 1
"Deanna at home" <Deanna at home@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After all else failed I ran Automated System Recovery. The Windows XP
> Professional disk was in the CD drive and the ASR boot disk was in the floppy
> drive. (I created the boot floppy after backing up my system to an external
> hard disk last October.) ASR formatted my hard disk, copied a lot of files,
> then stopped with the request that I insert the Service Pack 1 CD. Of course
> I downloaded all of Service Pack 1, so I have no such CD. When I tried to
> proceed, I got the message "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Service Pack 1 is
> needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."
> Searching for asms on my husband's PC yielded nothing. Searching for the XP
> Service Pack 1 on the Microsoft site yields nothing.

Searching the MS Support site yields:

<title>&quot;The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM
is needed&quot; error message when you install Windows XP</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

(Live Search for
ASMS site:support.microsoft.com
)

<quote>
CAUSE

This issue may occur if the Setup program cannot communicate with the CD-ROM drive.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Even if I buy a new
> computer with Vista on it tomorrow, I want my system back! In case you're
> wondering where I lost it, I downloaded the upgrade to iTunes+Quicktime.
> After hitting Restart as requested, Windows went away and has not returned.

Deanna at home

Re: ASR requires a file from the XP Service Pack 1
Thank you Robert.

How often do people say "I don't know what I did, but the problem went
away"? regedit wouldn't run, so I ejected the XP CD to verify that, yes
indeed, it does have the Windows hologram. Then since I was in command mode I
spent some time getting re-acquainted with what's left of my old friend DOS.
Then I re-mounted the XP CD and when I exited command mode, voila!, Setup
continued from where it had halted. ASR worked! Now I'm back to last October
and scratching for my data and application updates.

The important part of your answer was that just because the error message
says I need a certain file, that doesn't mean I need the file.
--
Deanna Sterett

All this confusion is helping me fend off Alzheimer''s.

guzarva16