RE: KB946486 - Live Photo Gallery Update: error 0x6B9

Radja Noonan

RE: KB946486 - Live Photo Gallery Update: error 0x6B9
Do you have Windows Desktop search still installed? This patch is an update
to fix a problem if you uninstall Desktop search (which Live Gallery needs)
while keeping Live Gallery. It is possible the patch fails if desktop search
has already been removed.

Interestingly, this patch is only for XP SP2, but it is being advertised for
my Vista machine as well.
Dorothy Collins

"Radja Noonan" wrote:

> Do you have Windows Desktop search still installed? This patch is an update
> to fix a problem if you uninstall Desktop search (which Live Gallery needs)
> while keeping Live Gallery. It is possible the patch fails if desktop search
> has already been removed.
>
> Interestingly, this patch is only for XP SP2, but it is being advertised for
> my Vista machine as well.

Hi!

How do I delete this from the Vista download list? I keep unchecking it, but
it will not remove itself from my download list. Now that I know it is for
XP2 only, that solves that mystery, but it keeps trying to download, even
though I keep trying to remove it. Thanks!
Radja Noonan

RE: KB946486 - Live Photo Gallery Update: error 0x6B9
Hi Dorothy

To hide an update you don't want to install in Vista,
Open Windows Update and run a check of updates.
Click on the "View Available Updates" link below the Install Update button.
You will see a list of the updates, right click on the one(s) you don't want
to install, and select Hide Update from the popup menu. The option to hide
will have the UAC Shield icon next to it.
Done, the update won't bug you again.

(In case you ever need it again, the Restore Hidden updates in the Windows
Update menu will allow you to restore the update for installation.)

"Dorothy Collins" wrote:

> "Radja Noonan" wrote:
>
> > Do you have Windows Desktop search still installed? This patch is an update
> > to fix a problem if you uninstall Desktop search (which Live Gallery needs)
> > while keeping Live Gallery. It is possible the patch fails if desktop search
> > has already been removed.
> >
> > Interestingly, this patch is only for XP SP2, but it is being advertised for
> > my Vista machine as well.

> Hi!
>
> How do I delete this from the Vista download list? I keep unchecking it, but
> it will not remove itself from my download list. Now that I know it is for
> XP2 only, that solves that mystery, but it keeps trying to download, even
> though I keep trying to remove it. Thanks!

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: KB946486 - Live Photo Gallery Update: error 0x6B9
"Radja Noonan" <Radja Noonan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

1/28/2008 12:03 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4-004b078a717b

<quote>
I've tried installing KB946486 - Update for Windows Live Photo Gallery on Win XP SP2
through Microsoft Update (it's considered critical), and each time it fails with
Error Code: 0x6B9
</quote>

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x6B9
1721
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Not enough resources are available to complete this operation.
</cmd_output>

Any guesses what "resources" are low? As usual error codes are meaningless without their context.
Bob should have found the context for those codes in the update's install log to get more clues.

Dorothy's problem is different. It would have been better posted in the WU NG.
That newsgroup is just as much about Microsoft Update as about Windows Update,
while this newsgroup is strictly about distribution via the update catalog.

> Do you have Windows Desktop search still installed? This patch is an update
> to fix a problem if you uninstall Desktop search (which Live Gallery needs)
> while keeping Live Gallery. It is possible the patch fails if desktop search
> has already been removed.
>

> Interestingly, this patch is only for XP SP2, but it is being advertised for
> my Vista machine as well.

In fact, it is for users of Live Photo Gallery.

<title>Information about the Windows Live Photo Gallery update</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=946486

<quote>
APPLIES TO
• Windows Live Photo Gallery

</quote>

Moreover, seeing how many Vista users have been having problems of various kinds with
image file support, perhaps they need all the help like this that they can get... <eg>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Blingqueen99