Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Redirected to MAC page for updates

microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2008
Gary
 

Posts: n/a
Redirected to MAC page for updates
Does anyone know how to fix this? Automatic updates works fine but when I try
to go to the Windows Update web page it say the page is for genuine MS
products and suggests I visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

I tried re-registering Windows, re-installed IE7, re-registered Office 2003,
still get the same message.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2008
ggames
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:12:01 -0800, Gary
<Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to fix this? Automatic updates works fine but when I try
>to go to the Windows Update web page it say the page is for genuine MS
>products and suggests I visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>
>I tried re-registering Windows, re-installed IE7, re-registered Office 2003,
>still get the same message.

Gary,

FWIW, I've been getting exactly the same response screen as you have.
Been so, for the past few days.
Automatics work fine.
Too bad you did all that re-install, re-registering stuff before
someone answered you.
Why do we always think it's OUR fault!!!

BTW, the same action goes for ALL links to MS update. Even on their
own home page shortcut.

So it ain't you, brother.

Sombody, somewhere has either fallen asleep or a MAC lover is having
his/her way with MS website.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Regards,

ggames
New York




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2008
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jv2sr3lu4gpqf2n8do170lo7oc1htr7r0b@4ax.com...
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:12:01 -0800, Gary
> <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to fix this? Automatic updates works fine but when I try
>>to go to the Windows Update web page it say the page is for genuine MS
>>products and suggests I visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>>
>>I tried re-registering Windows, re-installed IE7, re-registered Office 2003,
>>still get the same message.

> Gary,
>
> FWIW, I've been getting exactly the same response screen as you have.
> Been so, for the past few days.
> Automatics work fine.
> Too bad you did all that re-install, re-registering stuff before
> someone answered you.
> Why do we always think it's OUR fault!!!
>
> BTW, the same action goes for ALL links to MS update. Even on their
> own home page shortcut.
>
> So it ain't you, brother.
>
> Sombody, somewhere has either fallen asleep or a MAC lover is having
> his/her way with MS website.
>
> We'll just have to wait and see.



FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.



>
> Regards,
>
> ggames
> New York
>
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2008
ggames
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:53:38 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:jv2sr3lu4gpqf2n8do170lo7oc1htr7r0b@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:12:01 -0800, Gary
>> <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know how to fix this? Automatic updates works fine but when I try
>>>to go to the Windows Update web page it say the page is for genuine MS
>>>products and suggests I visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>>>
>>>I tried re-registering Windows, re-installed IE7, re-registered Office 2003,
>>>still get the same message.

>> Gary,
>>
>> FWIW, I've been getting exactly the same response screen as you have.
>> Been so, for the past few days.
>> Automatics work fine.
>> Too bad you did all that re-install, re-registering stuff before
>> someone answered you.
>> Why do we always think it's OUR fault!!!
>>
>> BTW, the same action goes for ALL links to MS update. Even on their
>> own home page shortcut.
>>
>> So it ain't you, brother.
>>
>> Sombody, somewhere has either fallen asleep or a MAC lover is having
>> his/her way with MS website.
>>
>> We'll just have to wait and see.

>
>
>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.
>
>
>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> ggames
>> New York
>>
>>
>>
>>

>

Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago. Firefox reports that I must
upgrade from IE5 to IE7 (already my current browser) and IE7 reports
what Gary and I have been discussing.
This is a PC I'm using; not a MAC. Not that there's anything wrong
with that.
Thanks for your interest, Robert.

ggames
New York
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2008
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:se7tr31vh7grs59rk7dl5buil3alfui6ok@4ax.com...

>>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.


> Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago.



Tried what? What do you see if you go to the Fiddler diagnostic page?

http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

Hint: do a Find (e.g. Ctrl-f) in that page for User-Agent:

and capture that whole line.



Robert
---


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2008
ggames
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:15:07 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:se7tr31vh7grs59rk7dl5buil3alfui6ok@4ax.com.. .
>
>>>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.

>
>> Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago.

>
>
>Tried what? What do you see if you go to the Fiddler diagnostic page?
>
>http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
>
>Hint: do a Find (e.g. Ctrl-f) in that page for User-Agent:
>
>and capture that whole line.
>
>
>
>Robert
>---
>

Hi Robert,

Here is what I get at Fiddler.

Connection: CloseAccept: */*Accept-Language: en-usHost:
www.fiddlertool.comUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;
Windows NT 5.1; TuneUp HTML Client Embedded Web Browser from:
http://bsalsa.com/; IEMB3; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; IEMB3)UA-CPU:
x86

What am I missing here?

Regards,
ggames
New York
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2008
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dnfur3dq7g9bu89f46v28tpn4ji85i619b@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:15:07 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
> <robald@techemail.com> wrote:
>
>>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:se7tr31vh7grs59rk7dl5buil3alfui6ok@4ax.com. ..
>>
>>>>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.

>>
>>> Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago.

>>
>>
>>Tried what? What do you see if you go to the Fiddler diagnostic page?
>>
>>http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
>>
>>Hint: do a Find (e.g. Ctrl-f) in that page for User-Agent:
>>
>>and capture that whole line.
>>
>>
>>
>>Robert
>>---
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> Here is what I get at Fiddler.


....
> User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;
> Windows NT 5.1; TuneUp HTML Client Embedded Web Browser from:
> http://bsalsa.com/; IEMB3; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
> 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; IEMB3)

....

> What am I missing here?



Try getting rid of all the advertising and see if your symptom changes? <eg>
Also what's IEMB3 and why is it there twice?


FWIW I think it may be sufficient to reduce it to:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)

(E.g., I don't think that WU needs those .NET CLR version indicators.)


Still not clear what you think you tried before. Has it come back since then?

; }


Robert
---


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2008
ggames
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:05:00 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:dnfur3dq7g9bu89f46v28tpn4ji85i619b@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:15:07 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
>> <robald@techemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:se7tr31vh7grs59rk7dl5buil3alfui6ok@4ax.com ...
>>>
>>>>>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.
>>>
>>>> Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago.
>>>
>>>
>>>Tried what? What do you see if you go to the Fiddler diagnostic page?
>>>
>>>http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
>>>
>>>Hint: do a Find (e.g. Ctrl-f) in that page for User-Agent:
>>>
>>>and capture that whole line.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Robert
>>>---
>>>

>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Here is what I get at Fiddler.

>
>...
>> User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;
>> Windows NT 5.1; TuneUp HTML Client Embedded Web Browser from:
>> http://bsalsa.com/; IEMB3; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
>> 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; IEMB3)

>...
>
>> What am I missing here?

>
>
>Try getting rid of all the advertising and see if your symptom changes? <eg>
>Also what's IEMB3 and why is it there twice?
>
>
>FWIW I think it may be sufficient to reduce it to:
>
>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
>
>(E.g., I don't think that WU needs those .NET CLR version indicators.)
>
>
>Still not clear what you think you tried before. Has it come back since then?
>
>; }
>
>
>Robert
>---
>

It WORKED.

I reduced the string as you suggested and BINGO! All is well in update
land.

FWIW, I looked at the string previously using a Fiddler clone and was
told that as long as the string was reporting IE7, I was good to go.
Obviously that was only partially correct.

Thanks Robert.
I hope Gary is listening.

Regards,

ggames
New York
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2008
ggames
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:05:00 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:dnfur3dq7g9bu89f46v28tpn4ji85i619b@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:15:07 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
>> <robald@techemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"ggames" <ggames@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:se7tr31vh7grs59rk7dl5buil3alfui6ok@4ax.com ...
>>>
>>>>>FYI It's a symptom of a problem with your browser's User-Agent.
>>>
>>>> Nope. Tried that a couple of days ago.
>>>
>>>
>>>Tried what? What do you see if you go to the Fiddler diagnostic page?
>>>
>>>http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
>>>
>>>Hint: do a Find (e.g. Ctrl-f) in that page for User-Agent:
>>>
>>>and capture that whole line.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Robert
>>>---
>>>

>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Here is what I get at Fiddler.

>
>...
>> User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;
>> Windows NT 5.1; TuneUp HTML Client Embedded Web Browser from:
>> http://bsalsa.com/; IEMB3; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
>> 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; IEMB3)

>...
>
>> What am I missing here?

>
>
>Try getting rid of all the advertising and see if your symptom changes? <eg>
>Also what's IEMB3 and why is it there twice?
>
>
>FWIW I think it may be sufficient to reduce it to:
>
>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
>
>(E.g., I don't think that WU needs those .NET CLR version indicators.)
>
>
>Still not clear what you think you tried before. Has it come back since then?
>
>; }
>
>
>Robert
>---
>

The "IEMB3" question.

It seems that the "IEMB3" is some sort of spyware that reports to the
indicated (http://bsalsa.com) website.

It also seems to have been placed in my string by a home network piece
of software that I use to communicate internally.

I eliminated all references to it in my UA as you suggested and as
mentioned, it works fine.
Whether "IEMB3" had anythig to do with the recent "gltch" is unknown,
but I don't want it in there anyway.
BTW, my internal com program works without it.

Thanks again for you help.

ggames
New York


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008
EC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirected to MAC page for updates
I've had this happening since around 1 April. I finally was able to get
around it today by disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection.

** disclaimer, I am nearly positive I tried that on April 1st as well. But
today it works!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redirected to mac Gary microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 02-19-2008 14:15
VMware Updates Virtualization Software For the Mac BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 11-16-2007 10:01
VMware Updates Virtualization Software For the Mac Steve Security News 0 11-13-2007 01:21
Microsoft kills Mac IM, updates Office for Mac BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 11-08-2007 20:50
Apple updates iMac, iLife, .Mac Steve General Technology News 0 08-07-2007 19:33




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120