Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.

Gray Eagle

Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.
I would like to buy, either directly from Microsoft, or from a third party
business, CD of some of the HUGE Windows and particularly Office downloads.

Is this possible, and does MS have a specific web address where I can
request CDs? - I can only find the Download site.

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with High-Speed internet access, who I
could ask, or who is even tech. enough, to download and burn updates to CDs
for me. I'm running WinXP SP2, and I assume SP3 will be available on CDs from
MS (again, where?). In the meantime, I've been able to download most Windows
updates under 5MB (the upper limit of reliability on my dial-up network).

However, I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Outlook 2003 and Office
2007 (Home and Student). Microsoft now offers me High Priority Updates for
Office 2007 SP1 at 619MB and Office 2003 SP3 at 119MB. Are they available on
CD, and if so where? Thanks in advance for help.
TaurArian

Re: Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.
Hi Gray Eagle - Watch this space -

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...383631033.aspx
Office 2007 Service Pack 1
a.. CDs will be available soon.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Gray Eagle" <Gray Eagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to buy, either directly from Microsoft, or from a third party
| business, CD of some of the HUGE Windows and particularly Office downloads.
|
| Is this possible, and does MS have a specific web address where I can
| request CDs? - I can only find the Download site.
|
| Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with High-Speed internet access, who I
| could ask, or who is even tech. enough, to download and burn updates to CDs
| for me. I'm running WinXP SP2, and I assume SP3 will be available on CDs from
| MS (again, where?). In the meantime, I've been able to download most Windows
| updates under 5MB (the upper limit of reliability on my dial-up network).
|
| However, I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Outlook 2003 and Office
| 2007 (Home and Student). Microsoft now offers me High Priority Updates for
| Office 2007 SP1 at 619MB and Office 2003 SP3 at 119MB. Are they available on
| CD, and if so where? Thanks in advance for help.

Ypoons

Gray Eagle wrote:
> [...]
> I'm running WinXP SP2, and I assume SP3 will be available on CDs from
> MS (again, where?) [...]

As for previous major updates, it will probably be available
first for computer sellers, then by download on the Microsoft web
site, then for public via WindowsUpdate and lately (the next
month ?) on quite every "computeral" revue at the newspaper's
corner (I'm sorry, don't know how newspapers are sold in your
country) as well as on a CD you can order from MS.

Regards,

--
Ypoons [MVP]
Ne vous approchez jamais d'un ordinateur en disant ou même
Christopher R. Lee

Re: Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.
Soory, it's the same old story.

Everybody at MS seems to think that everybody in the World has access to the
latest technology as soon as it is invented (ditto with regard to suppliers
of hardware and software, who are expected to respond instantly to each new
non-functional OS and each crash-inducing update).

Regards

"Gray Eagle" <Gray Eagle@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news: 1B280D84-35D3-4423-A5F4-2AAE879A3F8C@microsoft.com...
>I would like to buy, either directly from Microsoft, or from a third party
> business, CD of some of the HUGE Windows and particularly Office
> downloads.
>
> Is this possible, and does MS have a specific web address where I can
> request CDs? - I can only find the Download site.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with High-Speed internet access, who I
> could ask, or who is even tech. enough, to download and burn updates to
> CDs
> for me. I'm running WinXP SP2, and I assume SP3 will be available on CDs
> from
> MS (again, where?). In the meantime, I've been able to download most
> Windows
> updates under 5MB (the upper limit of reliability on my dial-up network).
>
> However, I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Outlook 2003 and Office
> 2007 (Home and Student). Microsoft now offers me High Priority Updates for
> Office 2007 SP1 at 619MB and Office 2003 SP3 at 119MB. Are they available
> on
> CD, and if so where? Thanks in advance for help.

enewbold

Re: Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.
Yep! I agree with you whole-heartedly! Same old crap; different year.

Neith Microsoft nor any of the peripheral manufacturers really care one
little bit about the consumer! Sell 'em a new OS or printer or (pick your
item here), then two years later, screw them!

Crap like this just keeps pushing me closer and closer to an Apple solution!

Ed Newbold
Columbus, OH

"Christopher R. Lee" wrote:
> Soory, it's the same old story.
> Everybody at MS seems to think that everybody in the World has access to the
> latest technology as soon as it is invented (ditto with regard to suppliers
> of hardware and software, who are expected to respond instantly to each new
> non-functional OS and each crash-inducing update).

DevilsPGD

Re: Large Downloads and 'Dial-Up' users.
In message <B26D1E6A-A535-4D92-80CE-C99586779A8C@microsoft.com> enewbold
<enewbold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yep! I agree with you whole-heartedly! Same old crap; different year.
>
>Neith Microsoft nor any of the peripheral manufacturers really care one
>little bit about the consumer! Sell 'em a new OS or printer or (pick your
>item here), then two years later, screw them!
>
>Crap like this just keeps pushing me closer and closer to an Apple solution!

Makes sense. Switch to Apple, who will happily sell you a new OS every
year or two. Oh wait, that's what you just described you want to get
away from.

Vista is the first paid upgrade to Windows since 2001, Apple has charged
$129 every year or two since 2001 to stay up to date. In that time,
Microsoft released XP's service pack 1 and 2, both of which were pretty
substantial upgrades in terms of stability, and both of which added
features.

Don't let any facts get in your way, go to Apple, be happy. Of course,
if you do, make sure your righteous indignation gets in the way of
installing Parallels or Bootcamp. You want Apple go Apple, don't go
half way and still run Microsoft software.