Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649

ComradeVVA

Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
I couldn't install the latest Vista update through Windows Update (i.e., it
would restart, then it would display "Configuring updates..." for 5 min, then
shut down and restart without the update) and it gave me the above error code.

I Dled the stanalone installer, and it says it was installed, although
Windows Update still keeps prompting me to install it, figures.

Now, however, Vista is not recognizing that my antivirus is turned on,
something it was doing fine before the update. So, I have several questions.
What is error code 8007007E and what does it have to do with Windows Update?
And why is my antivirus not being recognized by Vista?
M A B

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649 Vista 32 bit
exactly same error dload standalone will not install
tried safe mode will not install tried reboot 5 times will not install
RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
how do I get this update to install

"ComradeVVA" wrote:

> I couldn't install the latest Vista update through Windows Update (i.e., it
> would restart, then it would display "Configuring updates..." for 5 min, then
> shut down and restart without the update) and it gave me the above error code.
>
> I Dled the stanalone installer, and it says it was installed, although
> Windows Update still keeps prompting me to install it, figures.
>
> Now, however, Vista is not recognizing that my antivirus is turned on,
> something it was doing fine before the update. So, I have several questions.
> What is error code 8007007E and what does it have to do with Windows Update?
> And why is my antivirus not being recognized by Vista?

cmpixer

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
I am having the same problem, the update goes through the whole procedure,
and says unsuccessful and gives the above error code. No where can I find
the code listed for a solution. I do not seem to have any issues related to
the situation, update just keeps prompting me to install.

"ComradeVVA" wrote:

> I couldn't install the latest Vista update through Windows Update (i.e., it
> would restart, then it would display "Configuring updates..." for 5 min, then
> shut down and restart without the update) and it gave me the above error code.
>
> I Dled the stanalone installer, and it says it was installed, although
> Windows Update still keeps prompting me to install it, figures.
>
> Now, however, Vista is not recognizing that my antivirus is turned on,
> something it was doing fine before the update. So, I have several questions.
> What is error code 8007007E and what does it have to do with Windows Update?
> And why is my antivirus not being recognized by Vista?

Ntang

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
I'm having the exact same issue too with the updates. Instead of my
antivirus, it is nor recognizing that my firewall is on in Trend Micro.

"cmpixer" wrote:

> I am having the same problem, the update goes through the whole procedure,
> and says unsuccessful and gives the above error code. No where can I find
> the code listed for a solution. I do not seem to have any issues related to
> the situation, update just keeps prompting me to install.
>
> "ComradeVVA" wrote:
>
> > I couldn't install the latest Vista update through Windows Update (i.e., it
> > would restart, then it would display "Configuring updates..." for 5 min, then
> > shut down and restart without the update) and it gave me the above error code.
> >
> > I Dled the stanalone installer, and it says it was installed, although
> > Windows Update still keeps prompting me to install it, figures.
> >
> > Now, however, Vista is not recognizing that my antivirus is turned on,
> > something it was doing fine before the update. So, I have several questions.
> > What is error code 8007007E and what does it have to do with Windows Update?
> > And why is my antivirus not being recognized by Vista?

Vijay

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
Same here - the said update downloads alright, asks for a restarts, and when
given the go-ahead restarts 2 times. Finally after login, the fail message
appears with error code 8007007e in the windows update dialog.

"Ntang" wrote:

> I'm having the exact same issue too with the updates. Instead of my
> antivirus, it is nor recognizing that my firewall is on in Trend Micro.
>
> "cmpixer" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem, the update goes through the whole procedure,
> > and says unsuccessful and gives the above error code. No where can I find
> > the code listed for a solution. I do not seem to have any issues related to
> > the situation, update just keeps prompting me to install.
> >
> > "ComradeVVA" wrote:
> >
> > > I couldn't install the latest Vista update through Windows Update (i.e., it
> > > would restart, then it would display "Configuring updates..." for 5 min, then
> > > shut down and restart without the update) and it gave me the above error code.
> > >
> > > I Dled the stanalone installer, and it says it was installed, although
> > > Windows Update still keeps prompting me to install it, figures.
> > >
> > > Now, however, Vista is not recognizing that my antivirus is turned on,
> > > something it was doing fine before the update. So, I have several questions.
> > > What is error code 8007007E and what does it have to do with Windows Update?
> > > And why is my antivirus not being recognized by Vista?

Ntang

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649

I'm getting really frustrated by this issue. I am running Vista on a HP, and
i called them to get help on the issue. They told me to call Microsoft and
said that it is an issue on their end. I call Microsoft who said at first I
should not run custom updates and instead should choose express (without even
asking me to describe the issue) I inform them that I have been running
custom updates since (forever) and never had any such issues. She then tried
to push me back to HP saying that i have an OEM license. I told MIcrosoft
that HP told me to Call them. I insisted that she find out what that error
was and she spoke with a technician who said that it is an application error.
Bu to get that technician to solve my issue I have to pay $40 SGD. I'm pretty
pissed off at the moment, I don't mind paying if the error caused is of my
doing, but if this is an error caused by Microsoft's own software. then I do
not want to be paying them to solve issues they caused on products they sell
me.
cmpixer

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
Attached is a solution I got from MS. I followed it and my installed update
records show the update is installed and there is no error code, BUT, Windows
Updater still notifies me that the update needs to be installed. I stopped
here waiting on a response from MS, I could reinstall the update and see if
the updater recognises the completed update and shuts up or I could use the
option to hide the update.
Also I had to go back in and change the "net user administrator /active:yes"
back to
"net user administrator /active:no" to keep the multiple use screen from
popping up (I am the only user on my computer)
Good Luck if you what to try this, and if I get a follow up reply I will
post it.
I got all of this by contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support.
This issue can be caused by the corrupted Windows Update temporary folder or
incorrect permission settings. Please refer to the following steps to
troubleshoot the issue.
Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders.
===================================
One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains
corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Step 2: Active and log in Vista administrator
======================
1. Click Start, click “All Programs”, please find and open “Accessories”
folder.
2. Please right-click on “Command Prompt” item and select “Run as
administrator”.
3. Please type the following command line in to the coming window.

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: There is a space between “Administrator” and “/active:yes”.

4. Please log off the current account and log in “Administrator” account
appears on the welcome screen.
Please download and manually install the update from following link:

Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)

"Vijay" wrote:

> Same here - the said update downloads alright, asks for a restarts, and when
> given the go-ahead restarts 2 times. Finally after login, the fail message
> appears with error code 8007007e in the windows update dialog.
>
> "Ntang" wrote:
>
> > I'm having the exact same issue too with the updates. Instead of my
> > antivirus, it is nor recognizing that my firewall is on in Trend Micro.
> >
> > "cmpixer" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having the same problem, the update goes through the whole procedure,
> > > and says unsuccessful and gives the above error code. No where can I find
> > > the code listed for a solution. I do not seem to have any issues related to
> > > the situation, update just keeps prompting me to install.

Ntang

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649

Hi , thanks so much for that. Yes, Please do keep me updated on how to get
rid of the prompts, as they are not security bulletins, I will wait to see
what Microsoft sends to you first and try out the whole solution.
"cmpixer" wrote:

> Attached is a solution I got from MS. I followed it and my installed update
> records show the update is installed and there is no error code, BUT, Windows
> Updater still notifies me that the update needs to be installed. I stopped
> here waiting on a response from MS, I could reinstall the update and see if
> the updater recognises the completed update and shuts up or I could use the
> option to hide the update.
> Also I had to go back in and change the "net user administrator /active:yes"
> back to
> "net user administrator /active:no" to keep the multiple use screen from
> popping up (I am the only user on my computer)
> Good Luck if you what to try this, and if I get a follow up reply I will
> post it.
> I got all of this by contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support.
> This issue can be caused by the corrupted Windows Update temporary folder or
> incorrect permission settings. Please refer to the following steps to
> troubleshoot the issue.
> Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders.
> ===================================
> One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains
> corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.
> 1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> command in the opened window.
>
> Net stop WuAuServ
>
> 2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
> 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
> 4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> command in the opened window.
>
> Net start WuAuServ
>
> Step 2: Active and log in Vista administrator
> ======================
> 1. Click Start, click “All Programs”, please find and open “Accessories”
> folder.
> 2. Please right-click on “Command Prompt” item and select “Run as
> administrator”.
> 3. Please type the following command line in to the coming window.
>
> net user administrator /active:yes
>
> Note: There is a space between “Administrator” and “/active:yes”.
>
> 4. Please log off the current account and log in “Administrator” account
> appears on the welcome screen.
> Please download and manually install the update from following link:
>
> Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)

> "Vijay" wrote:
>
> > Same here - the said update downloads alright, asks for a restarts, and when
> > given the go-ahead restarts 2 times. Finally after login, the fail message
> > appears with error code 8007007e in the windows update dialog.
> >
> > "Ntang" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having the exact same issue too with the updates. Instead of my
> > > antivirus, it is nor recognizing that my firewall is on in Trend Micro.

cmpixer

RE: Error Code 8007007E when installing Update KB941649
This is the reply I got from MS. After trying the first solution (I had the
Prefetch Folder) I went with 2nd solution and just hid the update, everything
works now. Apparently this update really causes problems in older computers
(hardware driver issues) you can search MS for "uninstall Update KB941649"
Good luck
From your reply, I understand that the update KB941649 can be installed, but
Windows Update still prompts to install it. Thanks for your log file.

This issue can be caused by the update KB941649 could not be installed
successfully or the system could not detect this update. Please refer to the
following steps.

Step 1: Check if prefetch folder exist

========================

1. Please click Start -> type %windir% in Search bar, then press enter

2. In the opened folder, please try to find folder prefetch, if it could not
be found, please create it and then install the update again.

Step 2: How to hide an update in Windows Vista

==============================

If the folder prefetch can found, it mean the update has been install
successfully. If Windows Update still provide this update, we can hide it
directly.

1. Click the Start Button, click All Programs, and click Windows Update.

2. From the left panel, click "Check for update".

3. After receiving the scan results, please click "View available updates"
under the "Install updates" button.

4. Please right-click the update, and click "Hide update". If you are
prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or
provide confirmation.

"Ntang" wrote:

> Hi , thanks so much for that. Yes, Please do keep me updated on how to get
> rid of the prompts, as they are not security bulletins, I will wait to see
> what Microsoft sends to you first and try out the whole solution.
> "cmpixer" wrote:
>
> > Attached is a solution I got from MS. I followed it and my installed update
> > records show the update is installed and there is no error code, BUT, Windows
> > Updater still notifies me that the update needs to be installed. I stopped
> > here waiting on a response from MS, I could reinstall the update and see if
> > the updater recognises the completed update and shuts up or I could use the
> > option to hide the update.
> > Also I had to go back in and change the "net user administrator /active:yes"
> > back to
> > "net user administrator /active:no" to keep the multiple use screen from
> > popping up (I am the only user on my computer)
> > Good Luck if you what to try this, and if I get a follow up reply I will
> > post it.
> > I got all of this by contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support.
> > This issue can be caused by the corrupted Windows Update temporary folder or
> > incorrect permission settings. Please refer to the following steps to
> > troubleshoot the issue.
> > Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders.
> > ===================================
> > One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains
> > corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.
> > 1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> > command in the opened window.
> >
> > Net stop WuAuServ
> >
> > 2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
> > 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
> > 4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> > command in the opened window.
> >
> > Net start WuAuServ
> >
> > Step 2: Active and log in Vista administrator
> > ======================
> > 1. Click Start, click “All Programs”, please find and open “Accessories”
> > folder.
> > 2. Please right-click on “Command Prompt” item and select “Run as
> > administrator”.
> > 3. Please type the following command line in to the coming window.
> >
> > net user administrator /active:yes
> >
> > Note: There is a space between “Administrator” and “/active:yes”.
> >
> > 4. Please log off the current account and log in “Administrator” account
> > appears on the welcome screen.
> > Please download and manually install the update from following link:
> >
> > Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >

> > "Vijay" wrote:
> >
> > > Same here - the said update downloads alright, asks for a restarts, and when
> > > given the go-ahead restarts 2 times. Finally after login, the fail message
> > > appears with error code 8007007e in the windows update dialog.

how can i ovecome this problem