Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

hard drive drivers in Windows XP

microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2007
umwhat
 

Posts: n/a
hard drive drivers in Windows XP
I have been searching for the list of drivers in Windows XP because my
brothers computer has a Maxtor 6L250P0 hard drive installed but the Bios and
Windows XP Home Edition see a 7Y250P0 hard drive.
The hard drive is an ATA133 hd and there are also Sata models with similar
numbers at Seagate.com.
I thought I had seen before somewhere that Windows had certain drivers so
I thought maybe Windows has only the driver for the Sata model of the hd
model so I wanted to see what drivers are in Windows XP.
Would this be the case?


--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2007
Zerbrak
 

Posts: n/a
RE: hard drive drivers in Windows XP
Maxtor only made the 6L###P0 to 200GB after that it when to 6L###R0 series
There is no real difference between the 2 types the 6L###*0 is DiamondMax 10
and the 7Y###P0 is MaXLine Plus II.
All are PATA connections 133ATA.
Only the 7Y###M0 and 6L###S0 are SATA connections.
Where did you find the name of the drive? If it was from the shop then they
often give you drive of the same type, if they don’t have them in stock, Else
a batch has been labelled wrong. That happens now and again at line switch
over.
On the top of the HDD you will see the sticker that tells you the exact
information about the drive.
There will be similar information on the chip board on the bottom of the
drive if they mach then it is that type of drive, if not it a labelling fault.
If the drive is not working then take it back else just use it normal there
will be now performance difference between the models.

The BIOS and Windows just read the HDD’s chip to find the drive info it not
hard coded in to the software.


"umwhat" wrote:

> I have been searching for the list of drivers in Windows XP because my
> brothers computer has a Maxtor 6L250P0 hard drive installed but the Bios and
> Windows XP Home Edition see a 7Y250P0 hard drive.
> The hard drive is an ATA133 hd and there are also Sata models with similar
> numbers at Seagate.com.
> I thought I had seen before somewhere that Windows had certain drivers so
> I thought maybe Windows has only the driver for the Sata model of the hd
> model so I wanted to see what drivers are in Windows XP.
> Would this be the case?
>
>
> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2007
umwhat
 

Posts: n/a
RE: hard drive drivers in Windows XP
That is useful information...thank you very much. I will forward this
information to my brother and his wife who are working as missionaries in
China.
So does the bios only see the real model number of a ahard drive...the bios
will not be seeing the hard drive as a different model because perhaps
Windows only has a driver for an 7Y###P0 hard drive?

--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...


"Zerbrak" wrote:

> Maxtor only made the 6L###P0 to 200GB after that it when to 6L###R0 series
> There is no real difference between the 2 types the 6L###*0 is DiamondMax 10
> and the 7Y###P0 is MaXLine Plus II.
> All are PATA connections 133ATA.
> Only the 7Y###M0 and 6L###S0 are SATA connections.
> Where did you find the name of the drive? If it was from the shop then they
> often give you drive of the same type, if they don’t have them in stock, Else
> a batch has been labelled wrong. That happens now and again at line switch
> over.
> On the top of the HDD you will see the sticker that tells you the exact
> information about the drive.
> There will be similar information on the chip board on the bottom of the
> drive if they mach then it is that type of drive, if not it a labelling fault.
> If the drive is not working then take it back else just use it normal there
> will be now performance difference between the models.
>
> The BIOS and Windows just read the HDD’s chip to find the drive info it not
> hard coded in to the software.
>
>
> "umwhat" wrote:
>
> > I have been searching for the list of drivers in Windows XP because my
> > brothers computer has a Maxtor 6L250P0 hard drive installed but the Bios and
> > Windows XP Home Edition see a 7Y250P0 hard drive.
> > The hard drive is an ATA133 hd and there are also Sata models with similar
> > numbers at Seagate.com.
> > I thought I had seen before somewhere that Windows had certain drivers so
> > I thought maybe Windows has only the driver for the Sata model of the hd
> > model so I wanted to see what drivers are in Windows XP.
> > Would this be the case?
> >
> >
> > --
> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2007
Zerbrak
 

Posts: n/a
RE: hard drive drivers in Windows XP
No, windows will support all hdds without much trouble well XP SP2 and above,
it dose basically the same as the BIOS and reads the chip on the HDD and the
information stored in the BIOS.
You should worry about it, as the disk would not boot properly and crash
non-stop if it was not supported and more often than not it would read the
wrong size allowing you a lot less storage on the disk.
Well when you boot the computer windows loads after the BIOS so how can it
tell the BOIS what the HDD is!

"umwhat" wrote:

> That is useful information...thank you very much. I will forward this
> information to my brother and his wife who are working as missionaries in
> China.
> So does the bios only see the real model number of a ahard drive...the bios
> will not be seeing the hard drive as a different model because perhaps
> Windows only has a driver for an 7Y###P0 hard drive?
>
> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>
>
> "Zerbrak" wrote:
>
> > Maxtor only made the 6L###P0 to 200GB after that it when to 6L###R0 series
> > There is no real difference between the 2 types the 6L###*0 is DiamondMax 10
> > and the 7Y###P0 is MaXLine Plus II.
> > All are PATA connections 133ATA.
> > Only the 7Y###M0 and 6L###S0 are SATA connections.
> > Where did you find the name of the drive? If it was from the shop then they
> > often give you drive of the same type, if they don’t have them in stock, Else
> > a batch has been labelled wrong. That happens now and again at line switch
> > over.
> > On the top of the HDD you will see the sticker that tells you the exact
> > information about the drive.
> > There will be similar information on the chip board on the bottom of the
> > drive if they mach then it is that type of drive, if not it a labelling fault.
> > If the drive is not working then take it back else just use it normal there
> > will be now performance difference between the models.
> >
> > The BIOS and Windows just read the HDD’s chip to find the drive info it not
> > hard coded in to the software.
> >
> >
> > "umwhat" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been searching for the list of drivers in Windows XP because my
> > > brothers computer has a Maxtor 6L250P0 hard drive installed but the Bios and
> > > Windows XP Home Edition see a 7Y250P0 hard drive.
> > > The hard drive is an ATA133 hd and there are also Sata models with similar
> > > numbers at Seagate.com.
> > > I thought I had seen before somewhere that Windows had certain drivers so
> > > I thought maybe Windows has only the driver for the Sata model of the hd
> > > model so I wanted to see what drivers are in Windows XP.
> > > Would this be the case?
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External USB Hard Drive not working, Vista asking for drivers Paul Walker microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 24 05-20-2008 06:13
Article ID: 937097 Problems with the network, hard disk drive, or storage drivers cause a program to stop unexpectedly in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
USB hard drive enclosure, no Vista drivers Sir Benjamin Nunn microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 06-03-2007 21:20
Transferring files from Slave XP hard drive to new Vista Hard drive - primary Scootermc50@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-24-2007 02:46
Hard drive drivers Diamontina Cocktail microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 6 05-01-2007 14:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120