Do you like the new windows catalog?

NoMoreUpdate

Do you like the new windows catalog?
I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog
jclint

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
I agree, it is utterly and completely useless for me. I have to update many
government pc's with zero access to an outside network. This "udpate" has
made my job 10 times harder. Thanks M$!

"NoMoreUpdate" wrote:

> I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

4_Hawk

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
Heck no. It is pretty much useless as compared to the old version. At least
in the old version you could find things that were released within a
week/month/2 months ago. No you have to already know what you are searching
for to find it. Pointless.

And the FAQ must have been written by someone in about 30 minutes. It is
useless as well. I have never ran into a search page before that gave you
ZERO help/assistance on how to use the search engine. They just leave you to
guess here.

"NoMoreUpdate" wrote:

> I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

Cyrille

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
Hi,

I have the same kind of feedback from many customers and I personnaly agree

"NoMoreUpdate" wrote:

> I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

BumP

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
The same !!!

"Cyrille" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same kind of feedback from many customers and I personnaly agree
>

> "NoMoreUpdate" wrote:
>
> > I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> > language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> > easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

nekno

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
I agree. The new catalog is essentially worthless for any possible use case.

As one example, I need to find every critical, security, and software update
for Windows XP (en-us) released since SP2. A query of this size is precisely
why I would come to MS Update Catalog instead of TechNet. How can I possibly
return the results I need with a single search field... there's no question
mark at the end of that sentence, as there is no answer.

"NoMoreUpdate" wrote:

> I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

dz1b

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
The only way I've found to avoid the new "Microsoft Update Catalog" and its
lack of features is to use Windows 98 and click on the "Windows Update"
button on your start menu (or where ever it is). From that site, you can get
to the previous "Windows Update Catalog" and use all the nice administrator
features like downloading all fixes for any particular version of Windows
(back thru 98). No 95 nor NT. It would be nice if they had these last 2
also. I tried the resulting URLs from above on an XP box, but selecting an
OS (like Millenium or 98) returns 0 results. On the 98 box, I get all kinds
of results. My advice to Bill is, "dump Microsoft Update Catalog and go back
to the old Windows Update Catalog". It was much better. Microsoft Update
Catalog is practically useless.

"NoMoreUpdate" wrote:

> I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

nekno

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
Do you have the old URL?

"dz1b" wrote:

> The only way I've found to avoid the new "Microsoft Update Catalog" and its
> lack of features is to use Windows 98 and click on the "Windows Update"
> button on your start menu (or where ever it is). From that site, you can get
> to the previous "Windows Update Catalog" and use all the nice administrator
> features like downloading all fixes for any particular version of Windows
> (back thru 98). No 95 nor NT. It would be nice if they had these last 2
> also. I tried the resulting URLs from above on an XP box, but selecting an
> OS (like Millenium or 98) returns 0 results. On the 98 box, I get all kinds
> of results. My advice to Bill is, "dump Microsoft Update Catalog and go back
> to the old Windows Update Catalog". It was much better. Microsoft Update
> Catalog is practically useless.
>
> "NoMoreUpdate" wrote:
>
> > I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> > language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> > easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

Saber

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
I totally agree, with you, i have pretty much the same problem
but i think if they tried to change this is because they want to improve
this service so let's help them by making good suggestions not by saying that
this is a 'crap' (nomoreupdate).

"nekno" wrote:

> I agree. The new catalog is essentially worthless for any possible use case.
>
> As one example, I need to find every critical, security, and software update
> for Windows XP (en-us) released since SP2. A query of this size is precisely
> why I would come to MS Update Catalog instead of TechNet. How can I possibly
> return the results I need with a single search field... there's no question
> mark at the end of that sentence, as there is no answer.
>

> "NoMoreUpdate" wrote:
>
> > I would say, the new one is completely crap! No product filtering, no
> > language filtering. It can no longer be used to download all product update
> > easily. If you agree with me, please reply and enlarge this thread.

> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...date_ catalog

nekno

RE: Do you like the new windows catalog?
I agree... so what is your suggestion?

I've already stated that one search field does not allow for enough filtering.

Necessary fields (in combo boxes allowing multiple selections) include:
product, update type, update criticality, date range, languages, and
milestone (i.e., "since SP2").

nekno