Update problem

Neal at Spectdar Computing

Update problem
As a beta tester, early adopter and reseller of Vista I've been generally
pleased. Then disaster struck. Some server within Microsoft's organization
branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all those
in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to get
the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have been
requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I fix it?
Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over 60
machines? At my expense? Get real.
Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help
will be appreciated.
Chester

Re: Update problem
How was it installed? Was it different than a general user with a new disc
and serial number?

"Neal at Spectdar Computing"
<NealatSpectdarComputing@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> As a beta tester, early adopter and reseller of Vista I've been generally
> pleased. Then disaster struck. Some server within Microsoft's organization
> branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all
> those
> in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to get
> the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
> problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
> update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have been
> requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I fix
> it?
> Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over
> 60
> machines? At my expense? Get real.
> Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help
> will be appreciated.

Bill Sanderson

Re: Update problem
I was lucky enough not to see this issue first hand--it was not around
long--perhaps 24 hours, as I recall.

As I understand it, the fix is to go to the web-based WGA validation link--I
believe using the validate now link on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/sel...displaylang=en

The online forum linked at that page, or the one just above it--should have
better information.
--

"Neal at Spectdar Computing"
<NealatSpectdarComputing@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> As a beta tester, early adopter and reseller of Vista I've been generally
> pleased. Then disaster struck. Some server within Microsoft's organization
> branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all
> those
> in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to get
> the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
> problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
> update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have been
> requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I fix
> it?
> Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over
> 60
> machines? At my expense? Get real.
> Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help
> will be appreciated.

Rob Harmer

Re: Update problem
Get ready for wider issues with updates and validations as Microsoft is
preparing to release source code to ISVs so they can offer similar
update/licensing services. see
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...pservices.mspx
Software Licensing and Protection Services (SLP Services) will become
available in the October timeframe.

"..........., the Software Licensing and Protection Server, in standard and
enterprise editions. These allow the ISV to host their own servers, create
licenses for their products and offer them in very flexible scenarios,
either directly or through partners. SLP Services enables simple creation of
machine-based licenses, time-based licenses for subscription models and
trials, user-based licenses for roaming, as well as feature-based licenses -
supporting a wide range of business models."

If Microsoft can't get their own update strategy right (branding legitimate
users as pirates when they are legit) for their own products and cause
untold problems for end user sites, imagine what will happen when the full
fury is unleashed via myriads of independent software vendors who try and
work out permutations and combinations to suit their own end games. This
will become a nightmare for sysadmins and businesses worldwide.

Besides their update process is also being done by stealth as per recent
blog posts in other areas!

Regards

--
Rob Harmer
Director

South Australia

Tel +61 (0) 448 650 227
Fax +61 (0) 8 8265 1961
mailtocprofile@internode.on.net
www.pcprofile.com
=======================================
Reduce software compliance risk today!
PCProfile Snapshot will quickly generate a "managers view" of
the level of exposure you face with software, fonts, music and
movie files on your PC based systems!
=======================================
PC audit solutions for managers since 1991

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>I was lucky enough not to see this issue first hand--it was not around
>long--perhaps 24 hours, as I recall.
>
> As I understand it, the fix is to go to the web-based WGA validation
> link--I believe using the validate now link on this page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/sel...displaylang=en
>

> The online forum linked at that page, or the one just above it--should
> have better information.
> --
>
> "Neal at Spectdar Computing"
> <NealatSpectdarComputing@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
>> As a beta tester, early adopter and reseller of Vista I've been generally
>> pleased. Then disaster struck. Some server within Microsoft's
>> organization
>> branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all
>> those
>> in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to
>> get
>> the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
>> problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
>> update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have been
>> requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I fix
>> it?
>> Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over
>> 60
>> machines? At my expense? Get real.
>> Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help
>> will be appreciated.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Update problem
"update process is also being done"
That is limited to the Windows Update software and not other updates.

Some blogs have a different slant than other.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
Windows Server System - Microsoft Update Services

"Rob Harmer" <rharmer@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> organization
>>> branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all
>>> those
>>> in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to
>>> get
>>> the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
>>> problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
>>> update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have
>>> been
>>> requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I
>>> fix it?
>>> Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over
>>> 60
>>> machines? At my expense? Get real.
>>> Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help

Rob Harmer

Re: Update problem
.........maybe BUT end users should be the ones that decide what is updated
on end user systems and not Microsoft.

Microsoft isn't "following its own rules" see Aero User Experience
Guidelines Privacy and Security Microsoft User Experience Group October 2003
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms976532.aspx see the section
marked;

Four Must-Haves for Your Application
Include a link to a privacy policy.
Be private by default. In general, application settings that could expose
user data should be switched off by default. Give users an option to turn
these settings on in the context of their application use. In some
instances, users expect certain feature behavior, which may not be private
by default but should be maintained for consistency with legacy behavior.
For example, a most-recently-used (MRU) list of files. However, there should
always be a way to turn off these features and clear any history
information. A privacy deployment guide should explain the settings required
to increase a user's level of privacy.
Be secure by default. Application settings that could compromise user
security should be switched off by default. Make users aware of the
implications of changing these settings within the context of using the
application and before the changes are committed.
Provide a route for more privacy and security information, with ways of
displaying the accompanying changes in a privacy policy.
©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

See also;

Microsoft Update Blog http://blogs.technet.com/mu/default.aspx

and How Windows Update Keeps Itself Up-to-Date
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...p-to-date.aspx

Rob Harmer
PCProfile
Adelaide

> [...]
>> Fax +61 (0) 8 8265 1961
>> mailtocprofile@internode.on.net
>> www.pcprofile.com
>> =======================================
>> Reduce software compliance risk today!
>> PCProfile Snapshot will quickly generate a "managers view" of
>> the level of exposure you face with software, fonts, music and
>> movie files on your PC based systems!
>> =======================================
>> PC audit solutions for managers since 1991
>>
>> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>>I was lucky enough not to see this issue first hand--it was not around
>>>long--perhaps 24 hours, as I recall.
>>>
>>> As I understand it, the fix is to go to the web-based WGA validation
>>> link--I believe using the validate now link on this page:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/sel...displaylang=en
>>>

>>> The online forum linked at that page, or the one just above it--should

Rob Harmer

Listing Patches and Fixes from Microsoft Update Cycles
We can now provide a FREE interrogation tool that you can use to examine in
very fine detail each patch installed on Windows XP and Vista PCs.

The output file is approx 75K for a new Vista PC for the COMPLETE list of
all patches installed.

EXAMPLE OUTPUT FILE is txt and and looks like this, for each patch applied;

Title: MSXML 6.0 RTM Security Update (925673)
Autoselect on Web sites: True
Bundled update: MSXML 6 ENU x86
Can require source: False
Category name: Security Updates
Category ID: 0fa1201d-4330-4fa8-8ae9-b877473b6441
Category description: A broadly released fix for a product-specific
security-related vulnerability. Security vulnerabilities are rated based on
their severity which is indicated in the Microsoft© security bulletin as
critical, important, moderate, or low.
Category order: -1
Category type: UpdateClassification
Category name: SQL Server Feature Pack
Category ID: c96c35fc-a21f-481b-917c-10c4f64792cb
Category description: The Feature Pack is a collection of standalone install
packages that provide additional value for SQL Server. It includes:

* Latest versions of redistributable components for SQL Server
* Latest versions of add-on providers for SQL Server
* Latest versions of backward compatibility components for SQL Server
Category order: -1
Category type: Product
Deadline:
Delta compressed content available: False
Delta compressed content preferred: True
could allow for information disclosure because the XMLHTTP ActiveX control
incorrectly interprets an HTTP server-side redirect.
EULA accepted: True
EULA text:
Handler ID:
Revision number: 102
Update ID: 07609d43-d518-4e77-856e-d1b316d1b8a8
Can request user input: False
Impact: 0
Reboot behavior: 2
Requires network connectivity: False
Is beta: False
Is hidden: False
Is installed: True
Is mandatory: False
Is uninstallable: False
Supported language: en
Supported language: ja
Supported language: ko
Supported language: zh-tw
Supported language: zh-cn
Supported language: it
Supported language: de
Supported language: es
Supported language: fr
Supported language: pt-br
Supported language: nl
Supported language: ru
Supported language: sv
Last deployment change time: 13/10/2006
Maximum download size: 929048
Minimum download size: 0
Microsoft Security Response Center severity: Critical
Recommended CPU speed: 0
Recommended hard disk space: 0
Recommended memory: 0
Release notes:
Support URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925673
Type: 1
Uninstallation notes: This software update can be removed via Add or Remove
Programs in Control Panel.
KB article: 925673
Deployment action: 1

Registration is required by sending an email to us direct with the following
mail format;
mailtocprofile@internode.on.net?subject=List_Mic rosoft_Updates&body=send_Free_file_to_list_MS_Patc hes

Bill Sanderson

Re: Update problem
I don't see any inconsistency here. Most of what you've posted here relates
to privacy issues and possible exposure of pii. The update to the updating
process doesn't touch that, as far as I can see.

Whether you consider that update as a possible increased security risk is
subjective--I'm happy for Microsoft to keep their update process as secure
as possible, and that will require updates over time, I'm sure.

I would not disagree that this mechanism could have been better
communicated/documented--but I don't think they are violating their own
guidelines.

--

> [...]
>>> scenarios, either directly or through partners. SLP Services enables
>>> simple creation of machine-based licenses, time-based licenses for
>>> subscription models and trials, user-based licenses for roaming, as well
>>> as feature-based licenses - supporting a wide range of business models."
>>>
>>> If Microsoft can't get their own update strategy right (branding
>>> legitimate users as pirates when they are legit) for their own products
>>> and cause untold problems for end user sites, imagine what will happen
>>> when the full fury is unleashed via myriads of independent software
>>> vendors who try and work out permutations and combinations to suit their
>>> own end games. This will become a nightmare for sysadmins and businesses
>>> worldwide.
>>>
>>> Besides their update process is also being done by stealth as per recent

>>> PCProfile
>>> Adelaide
>>>
>>> South Australia
>>>
>>> Tel +61 (0) 448 650 227
>>> Fax +61 (0) 8 8265 1961
>>> mailtocprofile@internode.on.net
>>> www.pcprofile.com
>>> =======================================
>>> Reduce software compliance risk today!
>>> PCProfile Snapshot will quickly generate a "managers view" of
>>> the level of exposure you face with software, fonts, music and
>>> movie files on your PC based systems!
>>> =======================================
>>> PC audit solutions for managers since 1991
>>> ___________________________________________

Neal at Spectdar Computing

RE: Update problem

"Neal at Spectdar Computing" wrote:

> As a beta tester, early adopter and reseller of Vista I've been generally
> pleased. Then disaster struck. Some server within Microsoft's organization
> branded half my customer's installations as counterfeit as well as all those
> in the office plus the one at home. It cost me much time and effort to get
> the machines running at full capacity once again. Now there's only one
> problem. When you attempt to update you get an 80B0100 error and cannot
> update. My customers are fuming, one of my techs quit and there have been
> requests to go back to XP. Why on earth did this happen and how can I fix it?
> Tech support is no help. They all have "reformat" on the brain. For over 60
> machines? At my expense? Get real.
> Anybody have a cure that works that doesn't require a reformat? All help
> will be appreciated.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Today is the 28th and we're still
wrestling with the final few machines. Microsoft remotely entered some of the
affected machines but was not able to effect a fix even after expend much
time and effort. When the software was declared counterfeit it set the dirty
bit and we were unable to reset it. A clean install using the customer's dvd,
including a format failed each time. Finally one of my techs had the idea to
try and install XP64 with a full format. We could tell that things were
happening because of the format bar. XP went in fine and once we had it
working we did an upgrade install. Some worked but quite a few gave us blue
screens and corrupted system files. A reinstall seemed to get things going.
These are 64 different, un-networked machines. AMD architecture and all built
specially for the present application. Although they are working again we
still feel that more problems will arise.