Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

nntp@microsoft.com

Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.

In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@microsoft.com
Richard in AZ

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
Following the instructions for the bridge access using OE as a reader, I cannot log in.
The windows live login email address and/or password does not work in the OE news reader setup.
The email address (an password) does work just fine in MY MSN and other "Live" web sites.
? what is the "user name" for the news group login? Is it the email address for Live?
Where can I go for this information?

<nntp@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23cDiT81FLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> What is Happening?
> This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> Why?
> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
> solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
> for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
> make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
> healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
> begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
> functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
> NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>

> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in
> the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads forum(s). An exact date
> will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>
> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
> NNTP@microsoft.com

Duane Hebert

"Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:#Nu#Xr5FLHA.5736@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Following the instructions for the bridge access using OE as a reader, I cannot log in.
> The windows live login email address and/or password does not work in the OE news reader setup.
> The email address (an password) does work just fine in MY MSN and other "Live" web sites.
> ? what is the "user name" for the news group login? Is it the email address for Live?
> Where can I go for this information?

I had a lot of problems with the bridge from MS but I found this one:
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

and it works much better. But I'm using Windows Live Mail so your mileage
may vary.

Dan

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
You put your login details into the NNTP Bridge settings (once you've got
your profile set up on the Forums or Answers web site, depending on which
Bridge you're using), in OE itself you simply set the server to 127.0.0.1
and there are no login details requires - the Bridge does the logging in
part, OE is simply using Bridge as a local proxy server.

Dan

> [...]
>> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>>

>> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>>
>> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
>> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
>> you to participate at
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads
>> forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are
>> finalized.
>> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
>> NNTP@microsoft.com

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
Foul! The previous "Reminder - Microsoft Responds..." posted in IE General
(19 May-10) did NOT mention that it was being dropped on July 1st!

nntp@microsoft.com wrote:
> What is Happening?
> This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> Why?
> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
> finding
> solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
> This
> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
> easier
> for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
> and
> make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging
> healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft
> will
> begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> reader
> functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up
> the
> NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>

> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
> you to participate at
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads
> forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>
> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
> NNTP@microsoft.com

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
nntp@microsoft.com wrote:
<snip>
> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months...
> An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Who proof-reads these things?
Rob

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Foul! The previous "Reminder - Microsoft Responds..." posted in IE General
> (19 May-10) did NOT mention that it was being dropped on July 1st!

You know that Microsoft can't be trusted!
Dan

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
It didn't mention a date at all - it was a generic message sent to all
newsgroups stating that groups would be closed between 1 June and 1 October.

The message sent 21 June, and the one sent 26 June, both state July 1.

There's no foul here, you just misread the original post and assumed the IE
group would be closed on the 1 Oct.

Dan

> [...]
>> approach,
>> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
>> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>>

>> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>>
>> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
>> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
>> you to participate at
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads
>> forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are
>> finalized.
>> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Dan

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
I meant 21 June and 29 June, ignore 26 June.

Good news is that means no more HoopleHead posts as of tomorrow!

Dan

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> approach,
>>> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
>>> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>>>

>>> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>>> Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
>>>
>>> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
>>> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
>>> you to participate at
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads
>>> forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are
>>> finalized.
>>> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>>>
>>> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>>> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Hoyst Owen Petard

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
Your dealing with Microsoft, remember?
: nntp@microsoft.com wrote:
: <snip>
: > Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.
: >
: > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
: > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months...
: > An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
:
: Who proof-reads these things?