Internet Password Unknown

KenP

Internet Password Unknown
Hi all,
All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
comes up with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

KenPe
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Password Unknown
The only thing you've told us about your setup is that you have Internet
Explorer 8.

Is it possible your computer is infected with malware?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

KenP wrote:
> Hi all,
> All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> comes up with no luck.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> KenPe

KenP

Re: Internet Password Unknown
Guess that is possible but AV & defender is up to date. Running Win XP Pro.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> The only thing you've told us about your setup is that you have Internet
> Explorer 8.
>
> Is it possible your computer is infected with malware?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> KenP wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> > enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> > opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> > comes up with no luck.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > KenPe

> .

Re: Internet Password Unknown
• Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-am-i-running

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-32-or-64-bit

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current IE
version (e.g., IE6, IE7, IE8) when posting in an IE-specific forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

KenP wrote:
> Hi all,
> All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> comes up with no luck.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> KenPe

VanguardLH

KenP wrote:

> All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> comes up with no luck.

Oh, we are to guess what is your home page that loads when you run IE8?
Guess you'll have to login to that unidentified web site.
KenP

Re: Internet Password Unknown
XP pro, 32-bit. Comodo AV only. No Norton or McAfee ever. May have been at
time of purchase but removed it and installed Comodo. This was a year or two
ago.
Tks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-am-i-running
>
> • Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-32-or-64-bit
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current IE
> version (e.g., IE6, IE7, IE8) when posting in an IE-specific forum or
> newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>

> KenP wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> > enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> > opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> > comes up with no luck.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > KenPe

> .

Re: Internet Password Unknown
WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?

Is Automatic Updates enabled and is the computer fully-patched at Windows
Update?

How does the computer connect to the internet (e.g., dial-up; cable or ADSL
broadband; satellite; mobile internet USB modem)?

Is it a prompt for your internet connection password or a literal prompt to
enter a password in order to be able to IE8 at all?

Do you see the same behavior in another User Account?

KenP wrote:
> XP pro, 32-bit. Comodo AV only. No Norton or McAfee ever. May have been at
> time of purchase but removed it and installed Comodo. This was a year or
> two
> ago.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
>>
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-am-i-running
>>
>> • Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-32-or-64-bit
>>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current
>> IE
>> version (e.g., IE6, IE7, IE8) when posting in an IE-specific forum or
>> newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

>> Defender)?
>> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> KenP wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
>>> enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
>>> opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
>>> comes up with no luck.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> KenPe

>> .

KenP

Re: Internet Password Unknown
Since u asked so nicely it's bladenonline.com.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> KenP wrote:
>
> > All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> > enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> > opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> > comes up with no luck.

> Oh, we are to guess what is your home page that loads when you run IE8?
> Guess you'll have to login to that unidentified web site.
> .

KenP

RE: Internet Password Unknown
Problem was w/Content Advisor.

Thanks to all.

"KenP" wrote:

> Hi all,
> All of sudden when I click on any Internet Explorer 8 icon I am asked to
> enter a password. To best of my knowledge I have not set a password for
> opening of IE 8. I tried a restore to week before password prompt screen
> comes up with no luck.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> KenPe

Re: Internet Password Unknown